Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Forum Member

Default Life at Goodfellow

What is it like to live at Goodfellow AFB or an AFB in general?

Forum Member

goodfellow itself sucks. San Angelo is even worse.

there isn't anything to do here, so it's very easy to get into trouble.

But who cares, you're only here for 3 months anyways. I leave in a little under 2 weeks. I can't wait to get the hell outta here.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Spectre, let us know how you liked the pit fire. They are usually a lot more fun than the structural exercises. Hope they are still using JP fuel. Natural gas kind of bites the big one, but we have to train some how. Take care and stay safe. Block VII is a breeze, but don't forget to study. In my class, everyone was told to not sweat it. So they didn't and have the class failed it. It bites to fail a class the day before graduation. Anyway, take care.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Put it this way....Goodfellow just sums up everything I ever thought about Texas...Tumbleweed, tons of hillbillies, Big City with small city life, the Texas Longhorns infinite Bandwagon and lets not forget all the people that still believe that the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team...blah.....

But dude, who cares...the Fire School is fun as hell....dont let ne one scare you either...as long as you keep yourself in shape by taking PT seriously and doing some stuff on your own, listen in class, and listen out on the training grounds you'll be fine...The only time I seriously opened my book was on lunch breaks, breaks during class, and once on the weekend....there gonna tell you that you gotta study every chance you get or youll fail....BS....them saying that just puts the extra anxiety on the students....couple short 15-30 minute study sessions a week will suffice....

Hustle your *** off in Block Six and you will be fine....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceFire24
    Put it this way....Goodfellow just sums up everything I ever thought about Texas...Tumbleweed, tons of hillbillies, Big City with small city life, the Texas Longhorns infinite Bandwagon and lets not forget all the people that still believe that the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team...blah.....

But dude, who cares...the Fire School is fun as hell....dont let ne one scare you either...as long as you keep yourself in shape by taking PT seriously and doing some stuff on your own, listen in class, and listen out on the training grounds you'll be fine...The only time I seriously opened my book was on lunch breaks, breaks during class, and once on the weekend....there gonna tell you that you gotta study every chance you get or youll fail....BS....them saying that just puts the extra anxiety on the students....couple short 15-30 minute study sessions a week will suffice....

Hustle your *** off in Block Six and you will be fine....
    Goodfellow is just a VERY small part of Texas. You need to see the rest of it to pass judgment on the whole state. West Texas is a little bland, but Ft. Worth and east all the way to the LA border is another story. I live in East Texas right now and it is wonderful. I have heard many people make comments about Texas after visiting Goodfellow. You need to see the rest.

Did you at least study a little in block V??? I guess if you have a photographic memory, you wouldn't need to. And some people need to study more than others. Anxiety or no anxiety, some people will not make it if they don't crack open the books alot!! Have seen it happen.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

yeah, Goodfellow is NOT representative of Texas. I'm a native Texan and I love this state. But San Angelo is definitly not cool. I just hate all the people here that all they know of Texas is Lackland and San Angelo so they talk **** about how much they hate Texas. They know NOTHING about this state, but they think they do because san angelo sucks.

and no, I didn't study in block V. That stuff just came naturally to me. I'm studying for block VI like crazy though. But most of this is just review of stuff I learned in civil air patrol actually. At least the first couple of days are, we start studying actual firefighting today or tomorow, that'll be all new.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Im sorry. Your right....because you know everything about me and my life to say that i only know about Lackland and San Angelo.....Alright....yeah, ive only been to a couple of the major cities with some friends and, obviously where the Af has taken me...but im sorry...San Antonio, Dallas, Midland, Austin and surrounding areas are your bread and butter and its not just me that wasn't impressed...i will give you the fact that Austin has a sweet night life...i mean, its a damn home to a Big College, it better be......and there are always good parts to places..ill say that....but my point was that DRIVING through Texas proves a lot of stereotypes true....bland, plain, tumbleweed....theres not much until you get to the big cities

Ne wayz...it is agreed upon that San Angelo doesnt deserve to hold that great fire school....yes, i did have to study a bit for Block V...like i said...its not that i didnt study at all....but not the endless hours that they made it out to be

Forum Member

Do you get a private room and bathroom at Goodfellow? I like my own room, I don't want to relive my college roommate experience. And I don't do group showers. Will that be a problem?

I'd ask my recruiter this stuff, but this seems more accurate. Thanks guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airemen23
    Do you get a private room and bathroom at Goodfellow? I like my own room, I don't want to relive my college roommate experience. And I don't do group showers. Will that be a problem?

you live in a dorm room with 2 other dudes and share a shower and ****ter with them and the 3 in the room next to you.

but by the time anybody new gets here they'll be moving into the new dorms, which are built and just sitting there waiting for us to move in, which will be 2 per room and each room has it's own shower and latrine.

AirForceFire24, wipe the sand out of your vagina. Having spent a couple months in texas and driven around a little bit doesn't qualify you to make blanket statements about a state with a landmass that would put it in the top 25 largest countries in the world if it were it's own nation. You're just like every other tool who comes through here and thinks they "know texas" because they've been to San Angelo, Lakland, and Austin.

Bull****. Texas LIVES in the small towns. Boerne, Katy, Comfort, Palestine.... and the other countless towns throughout the state where high school football is king and men still open doors for women.

San Angelo is a small town with an inflated population. 90,000 people and nowhere near the capacity to keep that population entertained.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

uhh....dude, i believe YOU are the one getting all hostile about this...i by no means was aiming to stir anyones "prideful" emotions (if u wanna call it that) up.

But while im at it...i never said i "know" texas nor will i ever say that...or care to know it for that matter...and all i said before was there IS a lot of bland, plainess, and tumbleweed....nobody would argue

and while High School football is extremely fun to watch...i wouldn't make that a selling point to my town/city/village/sandpit and using the statement "High School football is king" just proves A point (not mine) about where you say Texas LIVES and what there is to do

Take a step back, take a deep breath and chill dude...im not attacking your state....just voicing my opinion to the forum like i have a right to do...i said it once and ill say it again....My Texas experiece was fun, but once is enough for me....

Have a Good Day Long

p.s. only Tools actually use the word "tool" ne more...

Forum Member

Airemen23.... your kidding right???? You know you shower with 40 other dudes in Basic Training right??

Forum Member

Yeah I heard about Basic Training and the showers. I don't mind that. I wanted to know if its like that on an Air Force Base also.

I'd hate my fire hose to intimidate the other guys at the Academy for 13 straight weeks.

Forum Member

Yeah I heard about Basic Training and the showers. I don't mind that. I wanted to know if its like that on an Air Force Base also.

I'd hate my fire hose to intimidate the other guys at the Academy for 13 straight weeks.

hahahahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

hahahahahahahahaha
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

The only time you will live with other guys is during basic and tech school. 2 in a room during tech school and youll share the crapper with the guys next door. After that youll have your own place and share a common area ( kitchen bath) .... dont forget about deployments! Youll feel like cattle in those showers... its a box converted into a shower. Better than nothin' tho. Good luck.... and dont trust those recruiters!

MembersZone Subscriber

gotta love you air force guys

Forum Member

crashcrew59,
    Thanks for showing love for the air force. I wanted to join the Marines and be part of the Air, Crash & Rescue team, but unfortunately I scored above a 7 on the ASVAB and they said I was too smart to join. Sucks, huh?

Forum Member

crashcrew59,
    Thanks for showing love for the air force. I wanted to join the Marines and be part of the Air, Crash & Rescue team, but unfortunately I scored above a 7 on the ASVAB and they said I was too smart to join. Sucks, huh?
    yeah, you might wanna keep jokes like that on the d.l. They actually require a much higher score than us to get this job. We have the 3rd lowest score requirement in the entire air force.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

I was only messing around about the Marines thing. I know you need a decent score for the program. Last summer I was about to join the Marine's Air, Crash & Rescue program. At the very end, right before MEPS, the recruiter said he forgot to ask if I was a conscientous objector to war; i told him I am a c.o. to the war in iraq. The guy jumped out of his chair and got in my face like he wanted to fight me. He started talking ****. I walked out of there and that was that. The next week the guy a recruiter from OCS called me apologizing for his behavior and asked me to join.

I have a ton of respect for Marines. I wanted to be a part of it. Just happened to meet the wrong recruiter, know known as time bomb.

So, Marines, dont take the joke seriously. Marines are badasses. End of story

Forum Member

I was only messing around about the Marines thing. I know you need a decent score for the program. Last summer I was about to join the Marine's Air, Crash & Rescue program. At the very end, right before MEPS, the recruiter said he forgot to ask if I was a conscientous objector to war; i told him I am a c.o. to the war in iraq. The guy jumped out of his chair and got in my face like he wanted to fight me. He started talking ****. I walked out of there and that was that. The next week the guy a recruiter from OCS called me apologizing for his behavior and asked me to join.

I have a ton of respect for Marines. I wanted to be a part of it. Just happened to meet the wrong recruiter, know known as time bomb.

So, Marines, dont take the joke seriously. Marines are badasses. End of story

stay out of the military. Go carry a sign or something.

c.o.'s **** me off.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Spectre,
    Here is a free lesson in life. People won't always have the same opinion as you. Whether in the military or not. You seem intelligent enough to know that.

Forum Member

Spectre,
    Here is a free lesson in life. People won't always have the same opinion as you. Whether in the military or not. You seem intelligent enough to know that.
    Just one question. If you truely are a C.O. why in the world are you looking to join the military??????

MembersZone Subscriber

so spectre you out of goodfellow yet, find out where your going? I would push for tinker if i was you...lol j/k

Forum Member

Spectre,

if you're a c.o. to the war in iraq, then why would you consider joining the military at all?

are you under the gross missguidance that the air force doesn't fight in iraq or something?

guess what bucko, when we get deployed, guess where we go. oh ****..iraq.

are you gonna be o.k. with protecting the pilots who are otu blowing up poor helpless iraqi's in bush's "omgblood4oil" campaign?

go hug a tree and smoke some reefer, and for god's sake stay out of the military, for your own good.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

THEFIRENUT,
    I'm not a C.O. to war. I know that war is often necessary. I support every person who is or ever has been in the military. I support war when its necessary. We are all grateful for the men and women serving us overseas. I love the U.S. just as much as the next guy.

But, I say the war in Iraq is wrong. I do still support the troops-they and you guys are just doing your job. But I agree with the majority of America who doesn't agree with the war.

You asked why do I want to join? There are a ton of reasons. I want to learn the self-discipline that only people who have been in the military understand. I would like the privilege to serve this country. There are amazing benefits for a person who joins. The DoD has a great academy and I want to learn how to be a firefighter.

If I was going infantry then maybe you should give a **** whether or not I am a C.O. But if a person goes Air Force Firefighter, and the sole job is to protect property and life then a C.O. to the war in Iraq doesn't really matter-does it?
    Oh yeah, and about being deployed, that is just part of the job.

Forum Member

Spectre,
    Go, TODAY, and ask to be reassigned to infantry! You clearly have the wrong job in the military. Actually go back to Texas and watch some high school football.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information