MembersZone Subscriber

Default Why should I join??????

Hey guys, I just got hired about 2 months ago, and have been in my house now for about a month. When i was asking the guys about what they thought of the union, susprisingly i got mixed answers. Our city doesnt recongnize the union, so it really has no major effect on our dept directly, and thats why some guys wont join it. They feel its a waste of money to susport something that cant susport you. On the otherside, some of the guys are all for it. They say that even though the city doesnt recongnize it, the union is bigger that just our city, its the IAFF as a whole. From helping with NFPA things, to lobbying to our congressmen, we should susport it as a whole for the standards that they try to improve for firefighters everywhere.

So, from one rookie to the rest of you guys, let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Your a daisy if you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Join!

The guys that support the Union are wise. I'n in NC, one of the most union-hating states in the country, yet our State association of IAFF Locals has done much to improve firefighter health and safety. We lobby for better retirement, changes to standards, etc., plus have a great legal team at our disposal through the state and the IAFF. Join your Local. Don't just sit back and wait for others to fight for benefits and then reap the rewards. The IAFF isn't perfect, but it's one heck of a resource.

Glenn Rainey
    IAFF Local 3286

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by achief15
    The guys that support the Union are wise. I'n in NC, one of the most union-hating states in the country, yet our State association of IAFF Locals has done much to improve firefighter health and safety. We lobby for better retirement, changes to standards, etc., plus have a great legal team at our disposal through the state and the IAFF. Join your Local. Don't just sit back and wait for others to fight for benefits and then reap the rewards. The IAFF isn't perfect, but it's one heck of a resource.

Glenn Rainey
    IAFF Local 3286
    What he said! Most every health and safety standard we enjoy today has been started and pushed by the IAFF. Beyond that they have a very active PAC in washington that is constantly working for our benifit.

Larry
    IAFF Local 1784

Rabble rouser

I just got home from Day One of the 2006 IAFF Legislative Conference in Washington, D.C. Talk about impressive! Check it out yourself: http://daily.iaff.org/2006LegConf.htm

Working in a right to work state (Virginia), the only way to get anything done is through political action. It may be sickening to you, but politicians are bought and sold by Political Action contributions... locally, statewide and federally. I will go one further than to tell you that you NEED to join the IAFF... you also need to join FirePAC!

The IAFF is responsible for countless things that benefit your new career, don't be a scab and just leach off of those who work hard for your health and safety future.

Cheers brother!

Joel
    Local 2068
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Thread Information