Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: San Jose Orals

Forum Member

Default San Jose Orals

Since one hundred percent of your score to get hired for San Jose is in the oral board how are you going to stun the oral board panel to convince them to give you the badge over the other candidates? Bottom line most candidates don't do enough interviewing to get good at it. This is also true for any job interview. You've got around 20 minutes for a 25+-year career. Just a point or two either way will make the difference in you going forward in the hiring process.
    A candidate wrote:

As you have said before oral board is the most important step in the process and the step that is least prepared for. Well I can support your statement. As I watched the recording of my score for LA City (reading upside down) I noticed 60's and 70's on the scores of those that interviewed before me. I would assume there were about 25 names on the sheet prior to mine. Rich

One of the best things you can do before game day is practice your answers with a hand held tape recorder to hear what the panel is going to hear out of your mouth. The vast majority of candidates I talk to have never heard what they sound like. A tape recorder will help you get your timing, inflection, volume, where to cut out material, get rid of the uhís and other pause fillers, or to find out if you really sound like Donald Duck. To keep up on the San Jose oral boards and hiring process check out the web site below.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I've never sat before a promotions board before but in an old Firehouse magazine issue laying around my volunteer station was an article about it where the author advised THIS was the time you should toot your own horn.Mention the courses you've taken above and beyond the minimum requirements for your paygrade,mention practical experience and a couple examples of how it made a difference is what the article boiled down to.
    Hope this helps.I'm due to take the written aptitude test,PAT and oral board for the Bartlett Tn Fire Department soon and have been taking EMT-B classes on my own.
    I've got almost three years in as a volunteer in Kentucky and hope my experiences will help getting on a paid department.

Thread Information