Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mankato?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mankato?

Just seeing if anyone else applied and tested for mankato? There was maybe 30 people there.. pretty poor turnout but better odds for those of us who took it. Just checking to see who all applied and how they felt about the test. Good luck everyone.

did mankato want 60 credits before you apply, or was it open to everybody?

MembersZone Subscriber variable1's Avatar

I also took the test. I was really surprised at the low number of people, but yes they wanted an AA or equivalent college time.

I think I did ok on it. First time taking the CWH test, canít say that I liked it! I thought St. Clouds test was a much better assessment of ones abilities.
    Last edited by variable1; 03-23-2006 at 07:52 PM.
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

I wanted to go down to mankato but I only have 56 credits completed, only 30 people may have tested, but there are also other people in the pool who are already on the department as POC firefighters, they had to do a different process than external applicants did. How many are they hiring?

No hirings at this time, this was for the eligibility list only.
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

MembersZone Subscriber

Their POC people have to do a different process? Any idea on what that process is? I got a letter today saying I passed the test... barely. So we'll see. It may be a little frusrating if they do all this work for outside applicants and then only take their POC people... we'll see I guess. Anyone else pass?

No letter yet
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

Mine came today and I passed

Now we just have to wait for info on the interviews.

Does anyone have any idea when and how many they might be hiring?
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

Forum Member

Arrow

I don't think they are hiring right now. I heard they may be adding one right away but the source was unsure. They should have a good turnover in the next few years though. There are three commanders with 25+ years, about ready to retire. I was a volunteer there so I know a most of them. By the way, what did you get on your test variable1? I heard it wasn't easy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey WFIRE do you have any idea what their hiring process is like for their POC people to transfer to Full time? I heard it was different and thats why there was only 30 people there testing. I passed by 1.5%, it was pretty hard, lots of psych questions. Do the full time people do the normal 24's? or is it 12's? What do you think of their department? Any info you have would be great. Thanks.

Forum Member

Arrow

To go from volunteer to fulltime, you had to go through what is called the career track. Its a process where your commander evaluates you on things throughout a time period. I'm not sure of all of the details but that is what I remember of it. If you complete the process, you do not need to take the test. I would say that there are only 5 maybe 10 at the most volunteers that complete this process. It takes time and I'm not sure how far ahead of time they told those guys about making the new list. 5 people I think is even pushing it. I can only remember 2 or 3 that were on the career track when I was there. Full time people work either the 24 or the 40hr day shift. New guys work on the day shift usually for a year or two before they get assigned a shift. Overall pretty good department. Experience levels are really low for the volunteers. They have a very high turnover, therefore there is some tension between the fulltime and volunteer. They have a tough time justifying more fulltime because the volunteer program works so well. Station 3 used to have a fulltimer from 6PM-8AM to drive the truck, but now it is all volunteer for example. They run a lot of medicals as they are paged out at the same time as the ALS which is right in town, so they get cancelled in route a lot. Great training and good equipment though. They have the chemical assesment team which if you are full time, I think you are required to be a part of. Any other questions let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey thanks a lot. That is no surprise that there is tension between the full timers and volunteers, thats gotta be pretty common in the combo departments. Do you still live in Mankato? Kinda sounds like you don't anymore. Do you have any idea on what kind of people they like to hire? I may have some more questions down the line, ex. good apartments? Stuff like that, if you are able to answer. Thanks again.

wfire32....thanks for all the great info. I came away not real sure how I did on the test, and I am usually very good with written tests. I had a 91.07% and was pretty excited about that!
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

Forum Member

Yea thats a pretty good score. Is that test pretty tough or what? I heard the CWH test isn't easy and its hard to study for. Do you need to know what they are looking for or how do you do well on that test? This is the first time they've used that test so I am just curious.

They did send out a study guide, but other then reading and spelling its very hard to study for. I would say of all the tests I have taken so far it was the toughest one.
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

MembersZone Subscriber

Well the interviews are on the 5th and 6th. Anyone have any idea what the two interviews are all about? One is a professional panel interview and the other is a civil service board interview. Any tips on what either one is gonna ask or anything? thanks.

Forum Member

I'm in Mankato as well, but still in my recruit class. (Will be assigned first week in May) I took part in an academy Mankato put on last year for several people that work them on a regular basis (two of us from the TV station, several from the area hospital, etc.) that took 8 weeks, and now I'm finishing recruit class. All in all, I really like what I've seen so far. Good equipment (the new Pierce ladder truck is quite simply awesome), lots of training (especially for full-timers), and a pretty good atmosphere all around. Mankato has a GREAT Public Safety department - first city I've lived in where the cops and firefighters aren't constantly complaining about lack of funds\training\equipment, etc.

Rent is atrocious, due to it being a college town. Minnesota State University - Mankato has about 8,000 students, South Central College has I think about 2,000, Rasmussen has 800, and Bethany Lutheran College has 600. Like wfire32 said, LOTS of med calls. About 2,300 calls for service a year. Station 1 is the primary station - two engines, the truck, HAZMAT truck and trailer, commander's vehicle, utility truck, and air truck. Station 3 is the station where the Resident Volunteers live (rent in exhcange for being on call 10 nights a month), and one engine is there.

Fulltime members are required to be certified in HAZMAT, and have 300-400 hours a year in training. CSR is required as well, I THINK (not sure on that one). The Rescue squad operates under the Fire Department, but is pretty much independent. It's all volunteer, with no renumeration at all (except for a Christmas party).

There are non-resident volunteers (3 nights a month) and resident volunteers. There are 18 full-timers, 30 non-resident volunteers, and 9 resident volunteers.

Thread Information