MembersZone Subscriber

Default Toronto Fire Truck Stolen

From the Toronto Star

Fire truck stolen in North York
    Mar. 20, 2006. 02:22 PM
    JERED STUFFCO
    STAFF REPORTER

Toronto police embarked upon the sort of chase today that is only supposed to happen in the movies.
    Somebody stole a fire truck in North York at about 1 p.m. and took off on a joy ride with the police in hot pursuit.

But police called off the chase on Islington Ave. because of safety considerations.

"The fire truck was going so fast it was out of sight,” said a police spokeswoman. “The safety of people is our number one priority.”

York Region police picked up the pursuit and the fire truck went into a ditch near Highway 27 and Kirby Side Rd., according to York Region Const. Laurie Perks.

Perks said a 17-year-old male was arrested at the scene. There were reports that the truck had been in collision with some other vehicles but she couldn't confirm this.

MembersZone Subscriber

This seems to be happenning a lot lately.

I think it is time for the manufacturers to consider code interlocks for the doors, transmissions, and/or ignition.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Even in my rural area, the operator ALWAYS stays with the rig.

Forum Member

I think that'll take a change to NFPA Motor Apparatus (since the mfgs follow it nearly to the letter...) standard first.

Specifically prohibit having removable keys and such to prevent someone from being unable to start the apparatus (which is why you find fire trucks that have keys have them chained to the dash, and push button starts on the others).

Frankly, for how often apparatus does get taken, screw it. I'd much rather have a fire truck that starts and one less device to fail. It honestly doesn't happen that much, we just hear about it more on with the internet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190

Specifically prohibit having removable keys and such to prevent someone from being unable to start the apparatus (which is why you find fire trucks that have keys have them chained to the dash, and push button starts on the others).
    I never knew that. All this time I figured they were push button starts so companies didnt have to worry about losing a key or the key not being in the ignition in the time of a run. I guess that is probably why it was made an NFPA regulation anyway.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

MembersZone Subscriber

Our new ambulance has a security feature. You can leave the rig running, and pull the keys out of ignition. If someone trys to get in and leave the ignition shuts off.
    There is also a hidden switch somewhere that unlocks the doors too.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by pvfire424
    Our new ambulance has a security feature. You can leave the rig running, and pull the keys out of ignition. If someone trys to get in and leave the ignition shuts off.
    There is also a hidden switch somewhere that unlocks the doors too.
    City of Victoria police use this system. If you dont have the correct key, the whole thing dies on you. I think BC Ambulance is using this in their cars too, but that is only hersay, I have no way of verifying that.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by pvfire424
    Our new ambulance has a security feature. You can leave the rig running, and pull the keys out of ignition. If someone trys to get in and leave the ignition shuts off. There is also a hidden switch somewhere that unlocks the doors too.
    After the local ambulance authority had a rig stolen several years ago, they switched to this system. Each employee carries a key fob on their belt that personally identifies them with the ignition. Park the ambulance, take out the keys, the truck keeps running. Get back in, swipe your fob and you're in business. Don't swipe the fob and the rig dies.

I've also heard of systems where the ambulance is tied to the crew's alpha pagers when in keyless mode. So, if they leave the rig unlocked and someone walks by and opens the door... The crew knows someone is fooling with their unit.

Forum Member

Our ambulances have that system, too.

Now, if you'd like some ******* to walk up to your pumper when the operator is distracted during a fire attack, remove the key, and tap the brake...

Have a nice day.

While both are remote, I'd prefer to have the fire truck stolen when I'm not using it, rather than rendered inoperable when I am!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our driver's stay with the vehicles per SOG.

That's not going to look good on a resume!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information