Updated: 03-20-2006 03:51:53 PM

E-Mail This StoryE-MAIL THIS STORY Print This StoryPRINT THIS STORY

JAMIE PAPPASSUN
    The Sun Herald

Advertisement

Click Here for Strong Arm Firefighting

Hot Features
    NEW Podcast: Fire Officers Charged In Firefighter Deaths
    Join Billy & special guests for information on making progress in the aftermath of firefighter deaths, injuries.Hear Audio
    » More Online Radio Shows

NEW Podcast: How to Win Grant Money - Part II
    Sponsored by: PlymoVent
    Join grant writer Brian Vickers as he walks through the grant application process.Hear Audio
    • Listen Now Online
    • Part I - Parts III & IV Coming Soon

Upcoming TrainingLIVE Webcast
    The Fine Art of Neutralization
    April 12 - 3pm (ET)
    Dave Peterson
    Register Free Today - More Training Webcasts

Get Local with Firehouse Network
    Get the latest news, department links, forum discussions, job listings & more by state.

Select Your State and Click:

The results are in, and the people have spoken. Once again, firefighter is at the top of the list in the annual AOL/Salary.com sexiest jobs survey.

Our brave firefighters had some tough competition for the spot this year though, sharing the honors with the silver-spooned CEO, whose median salary of more than $600,000 seems to be compounding interest not only in the bank, but also with the ladies.

In the two male-dominated fields (more than 97 percent of firefighters and 96 percent of CEOs nationally are men), the fact that number one was a tie between the altruistic, brawny fireman and the bring-home-the-bacon CEO speaks volumes about what we find sexiest in men.

But are these jobs really sexy?

"Firefighting - no, it's not a sexy job," said Gulfport Fire Department battalion chief Dean Morrow. "We are here to do a job, provide a service, be helpful. Like during Katrina, our guys were chomping at the bit, because they knew there were people out there needing help and they wanted to get to it. Firemen really want to go the extra mile to help. There is a danger factor, but no matter who you are, if you make a successful rescue, that's your high."

Come on - bravery, dependability, compassion and humility all make for pretty heady stuff in the sex appeal department.

"It's true that when we arrive on the scene, we are all about helping them. If that makes us sexy, so be it," said Morrow's co-worker, Carl Washington.

And then there is the physique. Clearly, not every fireman in America has abs of steel, yet all must maintain a certain level of "fireman fitness," a combination of strength, aerobic conditioning and endurance. There's strong incentive to stay in shape.

"Our lives depend on it," said Gulfport Fire Department engineer Ryan Carter. Firefighter II Greg Landry said he doesn't believe the job itself is sexy but admits firemen may have a sentimental sex appeal.

"Chivalry isn't dead. It is a chance to sometimes be a hero, to ride in like a knight in shining armor," Landry said.

Why does Morrow think firefighters are considered sexy?

"Firemen are like comfort food; there when you need us," Morrow said.

While the jobs of the fireman, CEO, doctor, pilot and soldier highlight masculine ideals, the traditionally female fields noted in the survey conjure images of feminine beauty and attentive caring.

Despite the results, emergency triage nurse Holly Arnoult said she thinks the survey was way off the mark when it placed nurse as one of the sexiest jobs for 2006.

"It's a very rewarding job, but it's not sexy, not unless you think dealing with blood, germs and bodily functions is sexy," Arnoult said. "The nurses I know are trying to do their very best, but sometimes they are stretched so thin, taking care of eight or 10 patients, and they don't get a lot of credit for it. We do it because it is rewarding when you feel like you've helped someone. But the sexy job thing, the bed bath jokes, gosh no."

If the job is so demanding, thankless, and decidedly unglamorous, why is the nurse perennially perceived as sexy?

Arnoult says one reason may be because nurses have to be educated. Smart is sexy.

"Then there's the 'take care of me' thing. People like to be taken care of," she said, adding people find it sexy knowing that nurses are willing and able to mend their ills and make them feel better, even if that takes time.

Hollywood may play an even bigger role in the public perception. Soap operas and popular television programs such as "Grey's Anatomy," "House," "Scrubs" and "ER" are keen to show doctors and nurses portrayed by beautiful actors and actresses, racing against the clock to heroically save lives. Inevitably, the camera cuts to a steamy kissing scene in a hospital linen closet before the next commercial break.

"It's dramatized, and the mundane aspects are edited out on television," Arnoult said.

Television viewers see lots of romance and adrenaline-fueled drama, but no paperwork, no cleanup, and really very few sick people.

"I would love to be a TV nurse, but that's not realistic, not any of it," added Arnoult.

When television viewers aren't watching medical dramas, ratings indicate they might be tuned in to home improvement reality shows such as "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and "Trading Spaces," or the HGTV network, where interior designers are seen strutting their stylish stuff on the small screen daily.

Gail Lowry, ASID, of Gail Lowry Interiors says she understands why the public may view interior design, which also made the Top 10, as a sexy job.

"Interior designers have always had a glamorous persona," she said. "There is an attention to detail, a sense of style, an artsy flair that interior designers must have. That is reflected not only in the way they look and the way they dress but also in personality as well. Whether male or female, designers tend to be very polished." Confidence and style are sexy.

While the public doesn't see the "blood, sweat, and tears" Lowry said goes into the planning, preparation and actual job site work, they do see the end result, which can be quite dramatic. To create an interior, designers invoke all the senses, drawing on materials and art that can move people emotionally, and in the process, they must become intimately aware of their clients' needs.

"There's a lot of psychology involved, working closely with people, really listening to what they are saying so you know what to design," Lowry said. "And everyone likes to be paid attention. That's not flirting, but it is intimate."

Truth is, the sexiest jobs survey isn't about what jobs are sexy, it's about what jobs the 8,000-plus respondents imagine are sexy.

Some experts, like evolutionary psychologist David Buss, believe that what we imagine to be sexy today is the result of eons of human history. Back in prehistoric times, our female ancestors figured out that attractive mates were men who could protect the family from danger and put that wooly mammoth on the table. Men wanted women who could bear them healthy children and take care of things back at the cave.

And despite all our claims of enlightened, politically correct, liberated 21st century ways, surveys such as the sexiest jobs poll reveal that what we find most appealing in the opposite sex probably hasn't changed all that much over the millennia.

In his book "Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating," (published by Basic Books), Buss discusses a landmark study of more than 10,000 people across 37 different cultures, which found that worldwide, women are still attracted by men who they believe can protect and provide for them, and that men seek physically attractive women who they think will remain faithful.

According to Buss, that is the human success story, how we have evolved to select mates in order to thrive.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

""Firemen are like comfort food; there when you need us," Morrow said. "

works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by superchef
    ""Firemen are like comfort food; there when you need us," Morrow said. "

It should be more like this... " Firemen like comfort food:we're there when you feed us"
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

That works for me too. Dinner is at 7 PM.

My wife says she agrees with the survey results. She says some of the guys on my shift are quite sexy.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

It's all because of me...I raise the sexiness level of this job by like...1000%.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Uh Huh................

Quote Originally Posted by Engine76KS
    It's all because of me...I raise the sexiness level of this job by like...1000%.
    Don't Forget: I helped too.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Don't Forget: I helped too.
    I quite agree Chief Woods.

On another note speaking of sexy firefighters I would be remiss if I did not..well on second thought, I better not say...
    Last edited by superchef; 03-20-2006 at 09:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

So where do volunteers fall into the list, if at all? We all know I'm a sexy bitch and everything. That's why the women flock to me (sarcastic tone should be noted).
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmm... the article talks about male firefighters and about female nurses. What about us female firefighters, are we considered sexy too? I wouldn't mind finding a cute male nurse...
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Quote Originally Posted by baileydonk
    Hmm... the article talks about male firefighters and about female nurses. What about us female firefighters, are we considered sexy too? I wouldn't mind finding a cute male nurse...
    I can only speak for myself, but there is nothing sexier than a female firefighter in turnout gear. especially if she can grab a hose and go to work with it.....
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Another news item up here list Firefighters as the most trusted occupation in Canada. Is it just me or do the titles Most Sexy and Most Trusted seem somewhat polar. You rarely see the 2 combined.

By the way Superchef, what's on the menu. I'll wear something sexy. Trust me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by manofire2
    Is it just me or do the titles Most Sexy and Most Trusted seem somewhat polar.
    What?!? Trust is about the sexiest thing in the world! If I trust you with my life, I'm obviously going to trust you with my... never mind. But it's true.

And when I lose my trust in someone, all their sex appeal goes right out the window.

But maybe that's just me.

What I just don't get is how "CEO" got voted one of the sexiest careers. Personally, I don't find money and power sexy. Because I don't trust rich, powerful people, I guess.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"

Forum Member

What?!? Trust is about the sexiest thing in the world! If I trust you with my life, I'm obviously going to trust you with my... never mind. But it's true.

And when I lose my trust in someone, all their sex appeal goes right out the window.

But maybe that's just me.

What I just don't get is how "CEO" got voted one of the sexiest careers. Personally, I don't find money and power sexy. Because I don't trust rich, powerful people, I guess.
    I can go with that, although I always thought laughter(sense of humor) was a persons sexiest attribute. I think somebody once said laughter is the best aphrodisiac. I'm an old man but I seem to remember that it used to work.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by manofire2
    I can go with that, although I always thought laughter(sense of humor) was a persons sexiest attribute. I think somebody once said laughter is the best aphrodisiac. I'm an old man but I seem to remember that it used to work.
    Ah, yes - put trust AND laughter together, and oh baby.

I remember some study that showed that laughing sends a woman's blood flowing to, how shall I say it, all the right places... So yes, I guess that qualifies as an official aphrodisiac.

Okay, I've had enough talking dirty with old men on the Internet for one day.

-------;- "Aaaaa!!"

Forum Member

Ah, yes - put trust AND laughter together, and oh baby.

I remember some study that showed that laughing sends a woman's blood flowing to, how shall I say it, all the right places... So yes, I guess that qualifies as an official aphrodisiac.

Okay, I've had enough talking dirty with old men on the Internet for one day.

Okay, check back with me tomorrow please.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

If we could only bottle all of this sexiness and sell it.....we could make millions!!! But what would we call it? Suggestions????
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

call it: NYCKFTBL!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Thread Information