MembersZone Subscriber

Default Why should I join??????

Hey guys, I just got hired about 2 months ago, and have been in my house now for about a month. When i was asking the guys about what they thought of the union, susprisingly i got mixed answers. Our city doesnt recongnize the union, so it really has no major effect on our dept directly, and thats why some guys wont join it. They feel its a waste of money to support something that cant susport you. On the otherside, some of the guys are all for it. They say that even though the city doesnt recongnize it, the union is bigger that just our city, its the IAFF as a whole. From helping with NFPA things, to lobbying to our congressmen, we should susport it as a whole for the standards that they try to improve for firefighters everywhere.

So, from one rookie to the rest of you guys, let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Unions are good things when you have everyone joining it...when you have half nonmembers and half members then it is usually a waste of time. Because the city realises that it is not a united front.
    There can also be scabs that will jump at the opportunity to take your job from behind your back as soon as you protest.
    It bugs me to no end that in my state in Australia (im not sure about the other states) the rural fire service has no union to join; only the paid urban firefighters have a union. Its not the pay that i am worried about , it is the working conditions and the often dodgy equipment supplied to us that i wish we could do something about.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

With two months on the job how have you become knowledgeable enough to determine "Freinds don't let freinds drive ALF"? Seems maybe you'll fit the perfect mold for either group Pro or con Union since you have yet to learn that you might have your own brain and opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

no, thats from my 4 years being a vollie thanks
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Can volunteer firefighters join the IAFF? is there some other union for volley firefighters in america? If so can you send me the details for it please.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Thread Information