Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Anybody see this ???

AirBoss-Defense announces world's first CBRN protective firefighter boot with revolutionary design

AirBoss-Defense, a division of AirBoss of America Corp., has just been awarded UL certification for the world’s first NFPA compliant rubber firefighter boot that also provides CBRN protection.

This revolutionary firefighter boot is the first NFPA 1971 compliant firefighter footwear to offer full protection against CBRN threats. Other features of this innovative footwear include extreme lightweight, reflective surfaces and a new Last (foot) design to assure optimum fit and comfort.

AirBoss-Defense produces the only firefighter boots in the world to meet both fire requirements and offer true CBRN resistance, thereby providing the real protection first responders need for today’s threats.

AirBoss-Defense is a North American manufacturer of personal protective equipment, and has recently signed two major contracts with the US Department of Defense Joint Services procurement initiative to provide the US military forces with CBRN protective hand wear and footwear. AirBoss has also been a long time private label manufacturer of rubber firefighter footwear for 3 of the top 4 brands in the US.

Earl Laurie, President of AirBoss-Defense has stated: «We are very pleased to receive UL Certification to NFPA 1971 on this unique CBRN fire product. We have integrated our world leading CBRN technologies into this new Fire boot, thereby bringing the same level of protection to fire fighters and first responders as we provide to defense forces. »

AirBoss of America Corp. develops, manufactures, and sells high quality, proprietary rubber-based products offering enhanced performance and productivity to transportation, military and industrial markets. With a capacity to supply over 200 million pounds of rubber annually to a diverse group of rubber manufacturers, AirBoss is also one of North America’s largest custom rubber compounding companies. The Company’s shares trade on the TSX under the symbol BOS. Visit www.airbossofamerica.com.

Contact: Earl Laurie, Divisional President AirBoss-Defense (450) 546-2776 or Robert L. Hagerman, CEO (905) 751-1188

Comments ?

Forum Member

So.....Do YOU work for this company???

Forum Member

I heard theyre crappy

MembersZone Subscriber

What is the purpose of CBRN certification? For example, SCBA tested that meet the standard are tested against mustard gas for 2 hours and Sarin (GB) for 8 hours. Both of these chemicals will kill or seriously hurt you through skin contact in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.

I would be more concerned that the Level A suit you should have on provides adequate protection. The CBRN SCBA and CBRN fire boots would be useless unless you are in a Level A suit. If the boots and SCBA are inside the suit, why do they need to be CBRN certified? If the boots are outside the suit, why does CBRN certification matter?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

ok great. so now we'll have boots that are safe for us. now how about the rest of the ensemble?

MOPP gear is a joke. It's a good thing nobody has really attacked us with any chemical or biological ****, because that stuff is pretty damn near worthless.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    ok great. so now we'll have boots that are safe for us. now how about the rest of the ensemble?

MOPP gear is a joke. It's a good thing nobody has really attacked us with any chemical or biological ****, because that stuff is pretty damn near worthless.
    What??? Have you used the (semi) new J-FIRE MOPP gear? It states that six out of ten firefighters will survive a chemical attack. I think that is pretty impressive for us "expendible" GI's.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Quote Originally Posted by acado64
    AirBoss-Defense announces world's first CBRN protective firefighter boot with revolutionary design

AirBoss-Defense, a division of AirBoss of America Corp., has just been awarded UL certification for the world’s first NFPA compliant rubber firefighter boot that also provides CBRN protection.

This revolutionary firefighter boot is the first NFPA 1971 compliant firefighter footwear to offer full protection against CBRN threats. Other features of this innovative footwear include extreme lightweight, reflective surfaces and a new Last (foot) design to assure optimum fit and comfort.

AirBoss-Defense produces the only firefighter boots in the world to meet both fire requirements and offer true CBRN resistance, thereby providing the real protection first responders need for today’s threats.

AirBoss-Defense is a North American manufacturer of personal protective equipment, and has recently signed two major contracts with the US Department of Defense Joint Services procurement initiative to provide the US military forces with CBRN protective hand wear and footwear. AirBoss has also been a long time private label manufacturer of rubber firefighter footwear for 3 of the top 4 brands in the US.

Earl Laurie, President of AirBoss-Defense has stated: «We are very pleased to receive UL Certification to NFPA 1971 on this unique CBRN fire product. We have integrated our world leading CBRN technologies into this new Fire boot, thereby bringing the same level of protection to fire fighters and first responders as we provide to defense forces. »

AirBoss of America Corp. develops, manufactures, and sells high quality, proprietary rubber-based products offering enhanced performance and productivity to transportation, military and industrial markets. With a capacity to supply over 200 million pounds of rubber annually to a diverse group of rubber manufacturers, AirBoss is also one of North America’s largest custom rubber compounding companies. The Company’s shares trade on the TSX under the symbol BOS. Visit www.airbossofamerica.com.

Contact: Earl Laurie, Divisional President AirBoss-Defense (450) 546-2776 or Robert L. Hagerman, CEO (905) 751-1188

Comments ?
    I think the WebTeam charges for posting adds in here!! You should start looking in the mail for your bill. Take care and stay safe!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Default At least someone is thinking about giving us better protection

Sorry if I insulted people with my post about the new boot. I don't work for the company but I did see and try the boot at a show in San Diego. They were extremely comfortable for rubber boots.

From my research, CBRN is a step up from haz mat. With a haz mat boot, you are only protected for 30 minutes against splash from chemicals. CBRN will protect you for up to 24 hours against all chemical (gas or liquid) and biological agents. If you get into a haz mat situation, which would you prefer, a boot that gives you 30 minute protection, or 24 hours ? For me the choice is simple. Also, this boot is able to be deconned so it won't create cross contamination in the same haz mat situation. And what I like is that in several cases you never know where you,re putting your feet when you get into action, so why not be prepared. More protection is better than not enough.

I just like the boot, but I will admit that they have sent me a sample pair to wear test for them for free. I'm sure they can send you guys some pairs if you just ask. I got mine after the San Diego show. Go ahead, slam away at me for being enthusiastic, thats just the way I am. And I thought this was a forum to exchange views and information... I apologize if anybody was offended.

Gotta go, got training tonight ! Extrication here I come.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by acado64
    Sorry if I insulted people with my post about the new boot. I don't work for the company but I did see and try the boot at a show in San Diego. They were extremely comfortable for rubber boots.

From my research, CBRN is a step up from haz mat. With a haz mat boot, you are only protected for 30 minutes against splash from chemicals. CBRN will protect you for up to 24 hours against all chemical (gas or liquid) and biological agents. If you get into a haz mat situation, which would you prefer, a boot that gives you 30 minute protection, or 24 hours ? For me the choice is simple. Also, this boot is able to be deconned so it won't create cross contamination in the same haz mat situation. And what I like is that in several cases you never know where you,re putting your feet when you get into action, so why not be prepared. More protection is better than not enough.

I just like the boot, but I will admit that they have sent me a sample pair to wear test for them for free. I'm sure they can send you guys some pairs if you just ask. I got mine after the San Diego show. Go ahead, slam away at me for being enthusiastic, thats just the way I am. And I thought this was a forum to exchange views and information... I apologize if anybody was offended.

Gotta go, got training tonight ! Extrication here I come.
    ...the MOPP ensemble for AF firefighters (MOPP 2 and up) require the J-fire/J-list underneath the bunker gear... during a chemical attack (downrange for example) you will have your Jfire pants/coat, J-fire mask, then on top is the bunkers (most likely silvers if you are downrange) and of course the bunker/ARFF boots. CBRN is something that you would see in the desert rather than at an established stateside/NATO treatied country. Correct me if I'm wrong but if we were attacked and go Alarm Red/MOPP 4, we are not gonna be donning Level A hazmat suits... the bottle is only gonna last an hour at most with the Level A. Hence the reason we use the J-Lis/J-Fire ensemble because the J-Fire mask has the canister. you are going to need that canister when the air supply runs out from the bottle. It seems like a good idea but I just hope I never have to experience that situation anyways (CBRN that is).
    Last edited by cgerdes97; 04-05-2006 at 06:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cbrn

I agree that the current application of chemical protection in the military is not the best we should have. However, something is better than nothing. As for the boots, I personally have not seen them. What I have seen for departments in the U.S is structural gear manufactured by Morning Pride with CBRN material incorporated into the material. This works great for everyday firefighting where you know you will be putting on your PPE before going into a chemical environment.

However, the military is unable to use this gear particularly regarding wear in a deployed location. Should an alarm be sounded for a possible chemical attack, the rescuer would have to wear this CBRN gear for a prolonged amount of time. And should that gear become contaminated, it is most likely that the rescuer will have a second set as a back-up.

Currently, the Army and Air Force utilize the JS-LIST suit which yes, 60% of the wearers will succumb to contamination via chemical or biological attacks. The revised technical order stating how to properly wear the JS-LIST calls for the wearer to use their duty boots as a primary level of protection until a higher level is required. Personally, wearing combat boots in a possible chemical environment is not my cup of tea.

I'm curious as to how they tested these new boots as well as any CBRN PPE. The JS-LIST has NEVER been tested in an actual chemical environment. The 60% mortality rate is due to delay or improper wear of the ensemble.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kferrara2002 View Post
    I agree that the current application of chemical protection in the military is not the best we should have. However, something is better than nothing. As for the boots, I personally have not seen them. What I have seen for departments in the U.S is structural gear manufactured by Morning Pride with CBRN material incorporated into the material. This works great for everyday firefighting where you know you will be putting on your PPE before going into a chemical environment.

However, the military is unable to use this gear particularly regarding wear in a deployed location. Should an alarm be sounded for a possible chemical attack, the rescuer would have to wear this CBRN gear for a prolonged amount of time. And should that gear become contaminated, it is most likely that the rescuer will have a second set as a back-up.

Currently, the Army and Air Force utilize the JS-LIST suit which yes, 60% of the wearers will succumb to contamination via chemical or biological attacks. The revised technical order stating how to properly wear the JS-LIST calls for the wearer to use their duty boots as a primary level of protection until a higher level is required. Personally, wearing combat boots in a possible chemical environment is not my cup of tea.

I'm curious as to how they tested these new boots as well as any CBRN PPE. The JS-LIST has NEVER been tested in an actual chemical environment. The 60% mortality rate is due to delay or improper wear of the ensemble.
    ...I still don't like them odds...

Thread Information