Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should Officers be charged in LODD's?

I noticed on the front page, there is a podcast for some Canadian Fire Officer's being charged in conjunction with an LODD. Do yall think this is fair? Would a charge of this type really hold up in court? Just doesn't seem right to me.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Why not? Training officers or those that claim to be can be tried in court for deaths.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Ask Alan Baird III.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET
    Do yall think this is fair?
    Hard to say, don't know all of the facts regarding this incident. The laws in Canada may be different than here in the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET
    Would a charge of this type really hold up in court?
    If they were negligent in their duties, why not? What makes you think we (fire officers) should not be held accountable for our actions (or lack thereof). If I took a class or became certified in a particular field and failed to take corrective action, should I not be held accountable?? If I was the IC on an incident and the Safety Officer (or anyone else) advised me that building collapse was imminent and I failed to react or respond, should I not have to answer to this?

The bottom line is, whether you are a Firefighter, EMT, Paramedic, Engineer, Fire Officer, Fire Marshal, Chief Officer or whatever title you hold, if you willfully and/or knowingly neglect your duties and responsibilities, you should be held accountable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not jumping to conclusions. As first stated, it's hard to say since we don't know all the facts. My thoughts go out to ALL those involved, both deceased and surviving.
    Last edited by LasVegasFTO; 03-21-2006 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Frisked by Spelling and Grammar Police

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD
    Why not? Training officers or those that claim to be can be tried in court for deaths.
    So should every Marine Corp Drill Instructor be legally accountable for every death of a Marine they trained? I disagree with holding Officers legally accountable for LODDs. There are no perfect fire fighters, only ones that are fortunate enough to not have made any mistakes that cost someone their life.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Let me clarify my last post. In cases of negligence, yes I do think they should be held accountable. I did not mean to imply that officers should never be held accountable, only that it should not be the norm. My commetns were in general, not related to this specific incident.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Absolutly. Part of the job is assuming responsibility for your crew. You do something stupid, you pay the price.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Are we talking in criminal court or civil court?

One better be careful what he wishes for...There are many "Chiefs" and "officers" who would have a hard time defending themselves in a court of law against some "expert witnesses" as in certain Chiefs who make the seminar circuit or whom have written texts for the fire service.

Just from what I've seen on this web page(and NIOSH reports)...there are many departments that apparently subscribe to the show up and make up the rules, postitions and assignments on the spot...their procuedural manual either is signifigantly deficient or hasn't been updated since 1964.(I'm thinking the departments that specify fog tips off of standpipes for "safety" reasons )

Regardless if you were 100% right...wrong or whatever...an opposing lawyer will make you look like an azz without proper documentation and substance(research, sound reasoning, expereince...etc.) behind your actions.

Bring that kind of organization into a court room and you might as well learn how to negotiate a settlement(or reduced sentance) now.

It's something to think about.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-21-2006 at 03:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe that the article in FH is referring to administrative charges. But, that said...

The question of whether it is "fair" can only be answered on a case-by-case basis. The question of whether a FD officer can be charged can only be answered on a state-by-state basis.

I put a case into Grand Jury that involved life-threatening injuries to 3 recruit fire fighters. We asked for an indictment against the "training officer" and his "assistants". I can tell you that the GJ was extremely reluctant to hand up an indictment. After the case, we were told (off the recotd) that, if the FF had died, they would have voted to indict.

I can think of a few cases where I believe that charges could have been filed. But saying that charges should be filed in EVERY case is simply not practical.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Canadian Charges

The two fire officers in Canada, are charged under the Workplace Safety Laws, not criminally. This is similar to the OSHA regs you have in the USA. They could face 1 year in jail if convicted, and a hefty fine, but I am not aware of any Canadian case where someone has gone to jail after being convicted of this type of violation (although I bet someone will dig up a case to prove me wrong).

Not being aware of the actual circumstances of the case, I do know that the law requires employees to have, as much as possible, a safe workplace, and for employees to be properly instructed and equipped to perform their duties, and that includes all jobs, including firefighting. Although there are inherent risks in fire fighting, departments still have to make every attempt to protect their people.

No doubt this case will be closely watched by fire fighters across Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Are we talking in criminal court or civil court?

One better be careful what he wishes for...There are many "Chiefs" and "officers" who would have a hard time defending themselves in a court of law against some "expert witnesses" as in certain Chiefs who make the seminar circuit or whom have written texts for the fire service.

Just from what I've seen on this web page(and NIOSH reports)...there are many departments that apparently subscribe to the show up and make up the rules, postitions and assignments on the spot...their procuedural manual either is signifigantly deficient or hasn't been updated since 1964.(I'm thinking the departments that specify fog tips off of standpipes for "safety" reasons )

Regardless if you were 100% right...wrong or whatever...an opposing lawyer will make you look like an azz without proper documentation and substance(research, sound reasoning, expereince...etc.) behind your actions.

Bring that kind of organization into a court room and you might as well learn how to negotiate a settlement(or reduced sentance) now.

It's something to think about.

FTM-PTB
    This is really a huge can of worms. But I must agree that Chief Officers should stand up and take notice on what is going on around them. They are ultimately responsible for everyone on the fireground. Firefighting is a dangerous business, but it should be done with due diligence to the safety of all. Not knowing the laws, rules, or guidlines is no excuse. If you do not follow them, be prepared to say "WHY" you are not!!

Well....off my high horse and back into the gutter!!!!! Take care and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505
    So should every Marine Corp Drill Instructor be legally accountable for every death of a Marine they trained? I disagree with holding Officers legally accountable for LODDs. There are no perfect fire fighters, only ones that are fortunate enough to not have made any mistakes that cost someone their life.
    Two completly different situations. I an a firefight you can't always just pull back and run. In fighting fire you can decide whether or not to push in on a fire where the loss to gain ratio. It's a lot easier to cut your losses and pull out of a fire that to leave a field of battle with people shooting at you.

The fire officer should be accountable under certain circumstances, but very often could be based on opinion rather that fact when dealing with an LODD and trying to pin it on someone.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree if there's gross negligence but who's too say what's "right". If firefighters die because the officer told them to take a 1.75" line when it was a 2.5" fire-Is he criminally negligent? How about fog vs. smoothbore? If I get a steam burn can I sue the Chief or press charges because he makes us use fog nozzles? Or the training agency that still teaches 30 degree fog attack? Maybe the officer was "elected" into his/her position? No formal officer training? Who is at fault now? The Chief with a $500 training budget?

I think we should be accountable, but as FFRED alludes to, there are many hired gun fire officers in the legal system. They may not be true experts but have silver tongues that can spin a jury. This is a dangerous issue.

Again I'll state that in the Alan Baird case he should not have taken the brunt of the charges. Chiefs were at the incident(training) including his, the system allowed an untrained 20-something Asst.Chief to be elected and then run a live fire training! The crime is that all of that was allowed to set up the tragedy. Baird was not innocent but he never should have be in that position in the first place.

We'll not have full accountablility until we have absolute standards that must be met for every level regardless of vol. or paid. And without full accountability we'll never gain "professional" status in the eyes of the civilian populace.

MembersZone Subscriber

"SURROUND and DROWN" buildings burning are unsafe
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    Two completly different situations. I an a firefight you can't always just pull back and run. In fighting fire you can decide whether or not to push in on a fire where the loss to gain ratio. It's a lot easier to cut your losses and pull out of a fire that to leave a field of battle with people shooting at you.

The fire officer should be accountable under certain circumstances, but very often could be based on opinion rather that fact when dealing with an LODD and trying to pin it on someone.
    I agree, but my comments were more directed at the accountability of training officers, not line officers. No matter how well someone is trained, there is still the chance that they can be killed. If they are killed this does not make the training officer negligent necessarily.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

RFDACM, Baird was in charge and was running the drill. He also lit the couch on fire that he put at the bottom of the stairs. The inept "Chief" was drinking coffee back at the firehouse.

As for the rest, the Chief is not and should not always be held accountable. The officer in charge of the incident/training should be held accountable. If I, as a Captain, tell my crew to do something stupid and dangerous, that is my fault and I should be held accountable for that, not my Chief.

Good discussion here guys.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones: OK his Chief was not at teh incident, but at least one other was. Why was Baird allowed to run a live fire session? Who made him A/C? This was also a system that allowed a improperly trained member to be a supervisor and lead instrcutor. Yes, clearly he was way wrong. But my god! no one else recognized there was a dangerous scenario playing out? Where was the Safety Officer?

If you tell your crew to do suomething stupid because your not qualified to be leading other firefighters then your Chief is also responsible! No I'm not implying this is the case, either just building on your example.

I agree this is a great discussion.
    Last edited by RFDACM; 03-23-2006 at 05:32 PM.

I agree with Bones, but I'm not so sure that I agree with alot of the other opinions. However, doesnt a certain amount of responsibility fall on the firefighter himself to say, circumstances permitting, "Hey guys, I dont feel comfortable with this situation."?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I keep coming back to this thread and have started and deleted several attempts to answer. Coming from a Safety manager's point of view, I say any person who is or has charge over another is accountable for that employee's health and safety. However as with anything there are always extenuating circumstances.

I am familiar with the story that this thread originates from, but I wasn't there. My only question regarding the particular incident is why where the crews on the roof to begin with? What was the potential gain of doing so? It was a garage.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

If the facts can clearly prove they were negligent, then absolutley. This should be the same whether they be career or vol...
    Luke

Thread Information