MembersZone Subscriber

Default I'm a skinney guy who wants to bulk up... tips?

I don't know that much about nutrition and weight lifting. Most of the working out I do is push-ups, sit-ups and running. That's not doing the trick. I'm 6' and only 145. It would be nice to have a little more weight to throw around for pulling out hoselays and blasting through doors. Idealy I would like to get up to around 175 and be as lean as possible. Does anyone have any dieting and workout tips on how I can bulk up without gaining much excess fat?

edit: woops! I ment to post this in the Health & Fitness forum. My bad.
    Last edited by Carichey; 03-21-2006 at 04:33 PM.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Whatever you do.......DON'T follow the Barry Bonds training program
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

For bulking up, focus on heavier weight with less reps...probably around 5-7 per set, with 3-4 sets. Focus on form and don't cheat yourself. Along with assuring optimum effect, you will be less likely to sustain program-stopping injuries, too. Get a partner or experienced spotter before you even start. Without one, you will never be able to push yourself that extra bit that encourages real growth. Focus on isolation movements any time that your schedule allows. Keep records of each workout, including your bodyweight. Set a routine and stick with it, going up in weight only when you accomplish the set correctly with proper form. Set short-term goals. You should be realistic about your long term goals, as well. Not everyone is a Schwarzenegger. Going from 145 to 175 is not going to happen anytime soon. Don't overtrain; doing so will do more damage than good. Eat right and stay away from most of the overhyped supplements out there. Many will dramatically thin your wallet while providing few if any real results. Training hard requires eating right and getting the proper amount of rest. Half the game is mental. Overcoming burnout is one of the most difficult challenges a bodybuilder faces. If you face a plateau that you just can't seem to overcome, change your routine a little bit...or take some time off. Chances are your body is trying to tell you something.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman
    For bulking up, focus on heavier weight with less reps...probably around 5-7 per set, with 3-4 sets. Focus on form and don't cheat yourself. Along with assuring optimum effect, you will be less likely to sustain program-stopping injuries, too. Get a partner or experienced spotter before you even start. Without one, you will never be able to push yourself that extra bit that encourages real growth. Focus on isolation movements any time that your schedule allows. Keep records of each workout, including your bodyweight. Set a routine and stick with it, going up in weight only when you accomplish the set correctly with proper form. Set short-term goals. You should be realistic about your long term goals, as well. Not everyone is a Schwarzenegger. Going from 145 to 175 is not going to happen anytime soon. Don't overtrain; doing so will do more damage than good. Eat right and stay away from most of the overhyped supplements out there. Many will dramatically thin your wallet while providing few if any real results. Training hard requires eating right and getting the proper amount of rest. Half the game is mental. Overcoming burnout is one of the most difficult challenges a bodybuilder faces. If you face a plateau that you just can't seem to overcome, change your routine a little bit...or take some time off. Chances are your body is trying to tell you something.

I agree with Nozz. When I want to bulk up I try to eat a gram of protein for every pound that I weigh. Itís tough to eat that much chicken so buy a good whey protein powder shake mix. I work out one body part a day and really train heavy with high intensity. By the time I get back to that part it has recovered. This type of training and diet helps me bulk up. Some train more than one muscle group using contrasting movements. I.e. Back & Biceps, Chest & triceps, Legs & shoulders. Pick up a book or join a Golds type gym and have fun.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Protein, Protein, Protein.

But be carful. You mention your need for protein in the firehouse and you will get all types of responses

Forum Member

HAHA....and dont let anyone know you are taking protein shakes to bulk up. Someone might play a nasty trick and switch it with weight loss shakes.

But basically, working out like Noz said, but what you eat is probably more important. Protein is very important, but balancing carbs and healthy fats with it is very important as well.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

an idiot would put a weight loss mix in there. A smart man, a clever man, would put pancake mix in there

Forum Member

Thats just gross. :::WE need a little devil icon guy:::
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey im right in the same boat that you are in. comming out of hs, i was 6' 150, and couldnt gain a pound to save my life. i even went and played some college football for 2 years and still couldnt gain weight.

now, 4 years removed from hs, im finally kinda starting to fill out. but it has been a long time comming. i have worked out 4 times a week, eat, eat, eat.

ive never really been a supplement guy, ive just done it the old fashion way. i would eat about every 3-4 hours, not eating alot, just a little something here and there. the big meals a few times a day just didnt work for me.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Wow Im 5'8" and at 154lbs I think I need to pack on a few pounds couldn't imaging being 6ft+

I went from 127lbs to my current weight while doing BJJ and a lot of workouts. I never really hit the weights too much but I can move a decent amount. I just ate whatever I felt like and kept working out. It took forever to gain just a few pounds but it does add up over time. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Get married and turn 40

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor
    Get married and turn 40
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA A!!!!

I tried that, Its over rated.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Like the previous said...Protein, Protein, Protein! Just keep making whey protein shakes and hittin the gym. Me, i'm opposite, i took almost 2 years off the gym and gained about 10 pounds. Doesn't seem like much, but all my muscle turned to fat and as we know, muscle weighs more than fat. But to gain weight, u gotta keep takin them shakes. There is also a newer supplement out that is getting a lot of good feedback. It's called No Explode, but i would talk to a nutritionist or doctor about that. I use Hydroxycut and like the outcome, but that's not for weight gaining.

Forum Member

Talking

Nozz is right on....I have been trying to "bulk up" for a few months now...and he's right...there are several supplements out there but they are just there to drain your wallet...have tried several with minimum success....it's all in how you eat and work out...I have been reading up on "body for life"...been thinking about following that program...basically you eat 6 times a day(smaller meals and for the protein) and follow their workout program...

MembersZone Subscriber

Beer And Twinkies!!! Everyday!!!!
    WEST SIDE BEST SIDE

www.chicagobomberos.com

Forum Member

Default Eat eat eat!

In addition to protein... just eat a lot. Healthy food, of course. But I tend to play the numbers game. Know how many calories you'd need to sustain your weight without exercise, and add more too it because of the exercise and then add more to it to help the weight gain. At least, that's what's worked for me. (In addition to workouts, martial arts, and FF1 classes.)

I currently hover around 140 -- and I would love to weigh 160. It's not the fastest way to gain weight, but I tend to have issues with weight _loss_ in general. (If something bad happens, or I don't maintain, I will end up back at 125/130. The 10 pounds took a few months to gain...)

Forum Member

It just takes time, commitment, and patience. If you really want to gain weight, don't neglect your legs. Going up in strength will eventually become parallel to your body weight gain. When this happens, you know you are doing something right. I went from about 170 several years ago to about 195 lean...but it took a couple of years. The only supplements I took were whey-based protein powders...and that was over rated. Your body can only absorb so much of that crap. Does anyone remember the pink weight gainers crap? Hell, it may still be on the market with all the other Weider junk. I still feel like puking when I think of it. I would rather eat eggs.

the 4-1-4

It just takes time, commitment, and patience. If you really want to gain weight, don't neglect your legs.

This is some great advice here. I canít tell you how many people I see in the gym with tremendous upper body development, yet have the legs of a chicken hawk. Putting an emphasis on your legs will make it more likely that you will gain good, quality weight. Your legs are the single largest muscle group on your body; besides, squatting heavier weights is proven to stimulate overall muscular development. One of the keys to gaining muscle mass is to utilize as much muscle fiber as possible. Lifting heavy weight is a very good way to accomplish this, provided form and common sense prevail. The squat is an all-encompassing exercise, if done correctly. It is also an excellent core strength developer, something key to staying injury-free in this profession.
    The key is to lift safely though, and to learn the exercise correctly. Improper form will lead to injury, and time away from the gym, in order to heal.
    Most important though, is to develop a program that meets your goals, and then make the time to follow it. My personal belief is that core training will help you put the muscle mass on you desire, and help you to avoid many commonplace injuries suffered on duty.

Forum Member

Don't forget that there are 3 main body types out there. If you are having a hard time putting on weight you are probably an ectomorph. Long and lean and probably need more calories and rest between workouts than some of the bulky guys you may take workout advice from.

Forum Member

BEER, BEER, and more BEER.
    It always works for me ... but then again I'm the guy who thinks that dieting should involve decreasing your intake of doughnuts and increasing your amount of sex ... go figure

Forum Member

Pizza & beer.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Oh, yeah ... pizza works.

Forum Member

I had the same problem for a LONG time - 5'5", 110 pounds. My metabolism was just so fast it burned off whatever I could throw at it. It finally changed when I was about 20, started doing Steadicam work for film - the only job I can think of that's close to firefighting in terms of physical demands. A 70 to 90 pound Steadicam rig for a 12 hour day will kick your ***. I put on 25 pounds in three months, combination of upper body and my quads\gluts. I'm now at 145, and pretty happy there. I've been using the BodyForLife program for a few months now, and I REALLY like it. High-protein, 5-6 meals a day, and the workout schedule is great - perfectly fit for firefighters, in my opinion. Aerobic and lower body Monday, aerobic only Tuesday, aerobic and upper body Wednesday, aerobic only Thursday, aerobic and lower body Friday, aerobic only Saturday, and then day off on Sunday for me.

One of the biggest things to keep in mind, as someone else said, is DON'T ignore your legs. In fact, I usually tell people to concentrate more on lower body than upper body - blast the hell out of your legs, and the hormones you get going are going to help you when you come back to do your upper body. Also, lower body is VITALLY important for firefighters - lugging that 40-60 pounds of turnout gear and SCBA is just killer on the legs. Not having strong enough muscles around the joints (knees and ankles in particular) makes you a lot more suseptible to joint injuries.

I personally agree with the people that said to stay away from all the goofy supplements out there. A healthy, balanced, high-protein diet and solid workout schedule will do wonders, without all the nasty side effects (and extra cost) a lot of the supplements can carry.

makes good girls go bad

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/DE...nt/default.htm

go to the CPAT info at the bottom, it has what you will need to get inshape for, and how to get there.....and man, it is a work out
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I'm in the same boat, 5'11" and 170lbs. No matter what I've done over the years I can't seem to bulk up or put on any weight that will stay. I've tried it all, eating different types of foods, different types of work-outs, different types of suppliments, whey protein, and yes beer, beer, and more beer. So over the years I've just come to the conclusion that my metabolism is just too high to do anything about it. Although as stated below, I do work out my legs and lower body more than anything else, you can preform almost any job on the fireground as long as you have the leg strength.

Thread Information