Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Information about Ferarra Custom Pumpers

Our truck committee is pursuing buying a new pumper and have looked at the Ferrara brand but do not know much about them or their service history? If anyone has a custom ferrara pumper, or knows anything about them, could you provide good or bad feedback. Thanks

Forum Member

stmwatch,
    My department just took delivery of a new 4 Guys on a HME chassis and Ferrara was one of the bidders. There was several reasons why we did not go with them but overall I do not want to bad mouth them since this was the only experience with them. Can you send me an e-mail so I can get in touch with you so I can tell you a few of the things to watch out for and I also have a spec sheet I made for the bidders. I could send it to you if it would help. I just don't want to start an anti-Ferrara war on the forums.
    Brad

Forum Member

i guess that this one isn't good enough

MembersZone Subscriber

My career department recieved 11 of them about 9 months ago. They are extruded aluminum bodies on the FFA Igniter chassis. Of all of them, the only problem that I know of was a power steering pump problem on Engine Co. 46. Of them all, most are at stations making 3500 runs a year (Some making more than 4000) and seeing their fair share of fire. So far, so good from what I have heard of them.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks STATION2 every bit of information helps us make a better decision, I really appreciate it. stmwatch.

Forum Member

Default Ferrara

This goes back a quite a few years. There's a department close to us that bought two absolutely identical Ferrara engines long enough ago that they're on Duplex chassis. They were built together so their serial numbers are one digit apart. One of their members told me that one of them is the greatest engine in the world; runs runs runs and never a problem. The other one was a nightmare from day one. I haven't talked to anyone there for several years, so I don't know if they ever got it straightened out or not.

When we were in earlier stages of talking to builders, Ferrara heard about it and requested a copy of the spec (see "Toyne wins"). We sent it to them and got a couple of calls back from their salesman. But nobody ever came around, so it never got past that point.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We have a custom Ferrara engine on a Spartan Advantage chassis...it's about 10 years old. The only problem we have had with it was electrical in nature (relays kept overheating and shutting off the 12V floodlights at night scenes). Had it worked on several times, I think they finally fixed it. Hopefully they've improved their engineering since then and eliminated this problem.

Other than that, no problems, it's given us good service. Not a real high volume department, this engine probably makes 100-150 responses a year.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information