Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

deleted...
    Last edited by jacobeast2; 06-19-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: delete

It doesnt disqualify you. I would say you are better off being up front about it, and hope that the psychologists in the FD are more understanding than the person who disqualified you from the PD. I know of a lot of people who failed certain aspects of the PD exam and are on our job today. But if you failed to disclose this information, it can and will be found out because the city agencies share the information. When you fill out paperwork for the FD, you are asked if you took any other city tests and at what point in the process it was stopped if you werent hired.

But that is a couple years down the road. Worry first about getting 100 on the written exam that should be offered around Dec I think, and then passing the physical. Then just make sure all your ducks are in order, and everything is well documented.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

deleted....
    Last edited by jacobeast2; 06-19-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Forum Member

you may not even have to speak to an actual psychologist... if you don't raise any flags on the written psych, there shouldn't be a problem. But definitely don't hide anything, because more than likely - they will find out, especially since it was with the NYPD. But like nyckftbl said, worry about studying hard (buy the red Barron's study book) for the written and getting a 100, or at least a 95 with your vet points. You shouldn't have any problem with the physical ability test if you're still in shape from the Marines.

I took the prep classes too. They are great just to get the jist of what the test is like. Other than that, its a very basic civil service test. Memory, reading comprehension, and math. A lot of people get nervous about the memory section. If you feel this is a weak area, try to find some older tests, like the ones you will get at the prep course, and practice taking in the entire picture. On the test I took, the questions were along the lines of "How many firemen are on the hoseline entering 1234 ABC St.? " and "What was the number of the fire engine on the corner of ABC and QRS sts?".

For the reading comprehension part, ever since middle school or high school I have been taught two different theories. Either read the paragragh quickly, getting the basic ideas, and then go to the questions, and if you have to go back, go back and find specific things, OR take your time, read as thoroughly as possible, ans try to avoid going back as second guessing yourself.

as for the math, uh....its really basic stuff. Like I said, just take your time and you should be fine.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jacobeast2
    I failed the police psychological interview and was disqualified. I had been to see a counselor after my first stint on active duty ended in 2000 because I was having trouble adjusting to civilian life. I saw a social worker for about three months until I got control of the situation. I was honest about this to the psychologist and turned over the requested documents, but he failed me anyway. Will this sort of thing disqualify me from the FD? More to the point, should I mention it at all? And if I don't, would they be able to find out about it due to the current HIPPA laws? I'm inclined to be up-front
    My friend is applying to a dept. but hasn't taken the psychological yet. She saw a shrink back in 2000 and they put her on anti-depressents and called it "seasonal depression". She hated it (the drugs, the shrink) and eventually got off of the meds and stopped going to see the shrink. She's TOTALLY fine now. Is this going to come back to haunt her? How will they find out? Do they ask for medical records? Doesn't HIPPA protect her?

Thanks!

Forum Member

The best thing for memory questions is to write down everything you can remember as soon as they hand out the paper and you're allowed to write. Then go to the questions... instead of jumping right to the questions and getting your info. all jumbled.

Forum Member

did u appeal ur ruling with pd? you do have that option..

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't yet
    Last edited by jacobeast2; 06-19-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Member

Thats Crazy

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted...
    Last edited by jacobeast2; 06-19-2008 at 01:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hopefully the supervising shrinks will look beyond the DQ. Unfortuneately fromt he sound of things, NYPD is not turning back many warm bodies, but trying to go FDNY is another ballgame altogether. The PD to FD switch may be the easiest way in?

As for HIPAA: usually you'll be asked to disclose medical or psyche stuff, if you do not or purposefully mislead or document anything you can be fired, without recourse for false application. How will they find out? Too many varaibles to worry about in a 25 year career.

Stay the course, be honest and don't give up.

Forum Member

how true. nypd is taking felons but not a war vet? society is going to hell in a handbasket......

Forum Member

Im not from FDNY but have an interested spin on this issue. People are so judgemental, so i only answer what they ask. I dont lie, but I only give them what they need, if they continue an issue and push it I give them all th information they ask for, however Im gonna be doing it to my advantage.

Ill give you an example, im 23 years old and had a stupid thing on my CORI from when I was 15. Friends and I jumped the turnstyle on the T in boston, and I got caught for it. Got summonsed into court for Avaiding Fair. Now Im an adult, that was my juvy record.According to MGL, I dont have to disclose that, however some depts will ask if I have ever been arrested. I disclosed this to one dept on the cape, and was never contacted back.

My best suggestion is not to HIDE it, but only relinquish wat there asking for, dont vollie information(Cause doing so can only hurt you).

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    The PD to FD switch may be the easiest way in?
    This does not exist. For all new hires, Cop time no longer counts for pay, only retirement. So....if you work as a cop for 5.5 years and were top pay and get hired with FDNY, you still start with us at 25K, but have 5.5 years for pension purposes.

I too am a Marine and a Kosovo/ONW/Afgan Vet and I too failed the NYPD pysch, but still got hired by FDNY. Being honest and stating that I am an avid hunter and gun collecter didn't help either. However I never had any counseling, I just failed the interview, but some how, took the same test for FD and got hired with EMS in '03 and FDNY in '05.....

My advice, Skip PD.....you will probably hate it. Wait for the FD test this October. The pysch written is the SAME test. And the way it is giving isn't as painfull as the way PD conducted thier test. Basically, your in and your out....no micromanagement....they don't spend 10 minutes explaining the proper way to sharpen your pencils.
    Last edited by VinnieB; 03-24-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Semper Fi, devildog. Glad you got home safe. I turned down EMS even though I have my EMT cert. Just not enough money potential for a family of three (soon to be four) and we'd like to keep it so my wife is able to stay home with the kids until they're older. If I actually make it on it'll be a few years down the road and my wife can go back to full time nursing. That counseling thing is really starting to haunt me and I hope it doesn't kill my chances. I dunno, is PD anti-Marine or something?

I dunno, is PD anti-Marine or something?
    Actually, before the War, they were going to all the MCBs and MCASs trying to hire guys. They still advertise in the MC Times.....I don't think they are anti Marine, but I got the same impression as you did during the Psych. I told the guy, "I took an Oath, and I followed it. My personnal belief mean nothing, I had a job to do and did it" I guess that wasn't good enough. What you will find is, some guys like prior military, some don't. Some people have a chip on thier shoulder towards you, b/c they see that you carry your work ethic over from the Corps, and it gets noticed. In EMS....you basically will be hated by most, b/c you have a motivated work ethic....and most of them hate that.

As far as money goes.....EMS makes more to start than PD. In the PD academy you will make no more than 25,100K....NOT TAKE HOME PAY! That's your salary for 6 months, then it goes to 32 something. Plus you have to commute everyday to Manhattan....there is no parking either. The Academy is on 20th street and between 2d and 3d AVEs (if I remember....its across the street from Cabrini Hospital). EMS starts at 29K and pretty much remains there until you can retire some 25 years later....sounds great right?

And thanks, welcome home to you too. I got out on Nov 10, 2002 a few weeks after I rotated back from "The Stan" I have a package in to reenlist in the reserves....Golf Co. 2Bn/25th Marines in Dover, NJ as an 0351. 8.5 years is alot to throw away.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

jacobeast2

I just wanted wish you luck in your pursuits (as I have been quietly reading this thread). I hope everything works out for you with the FDNY.

Take care and I am happy to see you made it home safe.

cheffie

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted......
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 06-12-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Funny you should mention joining 2/25 because that's my old unit. I 'm an 0311 and I ended up with battalion S-2. The unit filled up with prior service guys so damn quick after 9/11 there was no more room for me in any of the line companies so I had to settle for being the intel officer's body guard in Iraq. Idiot wanted his Combat Action ribbon so bad he nearly got me killed at least once a week. Anyway, it's a damn good unit, especially Golf, and you'll enjoy it. Last I heard they were going back across the pond sometime this year but I'm not sure when that'll be. No better a reserve unit to be in; I wish you good luck.
    Hey thanks bro. And go figure about that Zero huh? Ain't that a suprise......
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information