Forum Member

Angry dealing with stupid

I have an officer that is not the very brightest. He think he knows everything that has to do with the fire service, he is the type of guy that when you suggest something no matter what it is his way is right. He does not know how to treat the guys that work under him he is constantly dragging us down. See I know that I should respect my brass but the problem is that he doesnt repect us as his team. when the s%$^ hits the fan he always says me and my partner did it, but if thiers any credit to be taken even if we as in me and my partner did it it was we did it as a team!!!!!!!!!! See at first me and my partner thought it was just us that disliked the things he did and the way he talked to people........ EVERYBODY DISLIKES HIM. Me and my partner cannot get anybody to trade shifts with us because they dont want to work with our shift captian the problem is is that we have talked to him about the way he acts and talks but he thinks we are kidding and he sucks up to upper brass.any solutions please help????

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

SmokeEater5...

Sometimes in our careers we get stuck with officers that are like what you have. I had one for 2 years that would explode holler his lungs out at you and then 5 minutes later wanted to be your best friend. Hell he kicked me out of the house meal because I wouldn't cook one night. I just avoided him like the plague unless I absolutely had to interact with him.

Stay out of his way, do your job and get through it.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Sometimes in our careers we get stuck with officers that are like what you have. I had one for 2 years that would explode holler his lungs out at you and then 5 minutes later wanted to be your best friend. Hell he kicked me out of the house meal because I wouldn't cook one night. I just avoided him like the plague unless I absolutely had to interact with him.

Stay out of his way, do your job and get through it.

FyredUp
    Thank you for the advice me and my partner both avoid him unless we have to interact with him but i acually caught myself hitting the snooze button at home yesterday before i had to go to work

Forum Member

I can relate to you...I was working as a part-time career firefighter and there was a Lieutenant that was the same way...I hated working on his shift...Then he got promoted to Chief!! But because I loved the job that I was in I just ignored him when possible, listened when I had to, and did my job...Fortunetly I am no longer in that department anymore but I stuck with it and got the job done!!!

Forum Member

It isn't just officers... many times you have to deal with firefighters who think they are God's gift to the fire service. They suffer from the "I" syndrome.. when things go right, they take all the credit, but when the defacation collides with the oscillation, the "I" turns to "you fracked up" in an attempt to deflect blame"

In the firehouse, you are expected to maintain a professional relationship.. it doesn't have to be a personal one.

Do your job, document everything that you do if you have to to cover your keister.

PS: respect has to be earned.. it cannot be demanded. Those who have to demand respect certainly do not deserve it.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Talking

you guys all have good points but what if it becomes a saftey issue ? I love the job and the department Im on.The only problem is my captian, luckily we havent had a large incident with him yet. The funny thing is that when we just do the things that we know to do he stands in the background barking orders. I want to tell him thanks mister f@#$%ing obvious but i dont i keep it proffesonial and keep my mouth shut and do my job like I am suppost to. Then after the incident we have to hear about it for weeks like its the only fire he has ever seen. It just gets old, im just venting. Also he has horrible hopitaility issues he will eat and we will clean it or it will stay for the next shift and we get blamed for it. He thinks that we are his personal cleaning, cooking, and cover your butt team. Thanks again for listening to me rant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater5
    you guys all have good points but what if it becomes a saftey issue ? I love the job and the department Im on.The only problem is my captian, luckily we havent had a large incident with him yet. The funny thing is that when we just do the things that we know to do he stands in the background barking orders. I want to tell him thanks mister f@#$%ing obvious but i dont i keep it proffesonial and keep my mouth shut and do my job like I am suppost to. Then after the incident we have to hear about it for weeks like its the only fire he has ever seen. It just gets old, im just venting. Also he has horrible hopitaility issues he will eat and we will clean it or it will stay for the next shift and we get blamed for it. He thinks that we are his personal cleaning, cooking, and cover your butt team. Thanks again for listening to me rant.

If it ever came down to a safety issue there would be no hesitation, you do what you got to do to keep yourself and your partners safe, then you escelate the situation immediately to higher authority. There is no room for screwing around when it comes to safety. That is my opinion anyway.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smoke, I hope this works out for ya, but remember, have respect for the position but you dont have to respect the person.
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

Forum Member

I know exactly how you feel. I had a Capt. like that for 3 1/2 years. The other guy at the station and myself would hang out together and stay clear of him. As far as the kitchen goes, at least this is the way it is at the house I am at, if you cook you don't clean. And there is no rank in the kitchen when it comes to cooking and cleaning up after a meal. As far as on a fire scene, we had to learn how to suggest ideas and tactics to him in such a way as he thought that they were his idea. A lot of times we would say " What do you think about doing it this way, or do you think doing it this way would work". Sometimes he would take our idea, sometimes he would say no that sucks, and sometimes he would have us start doing it a different way until he realized that our idea would work. At that point he would came it as his own idea, we didn't always like that, but at least he was using our idea and it was getting the job done. Stay strong brother.
    KTF-EGH

Forum Member

Talking

thank you guys very much. Me and my partner thought we were all alone. its great to vent and get feelings out on things that matter. Thanx again guys be safe and stay strong !!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

SmokeEater,

Before I give you a hug and make you feel better, can I ask you how much time you have on the job?
    How much does he have?
    What is his experience level? Busy shops or camps?
    What is the average age and job time of your crew?

You see, sometimes the problem is not the officer, sometimes it is. But before we can make that judgement, you need to give us some background.

Thread Information