Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default challenging state exam

hey everybody, I know I have brought this one up before, and I have been doing a good bit of research on the routes I can take to get it done. The only certification I want to challange would be Illinois firefighter 2, from my IFSAC/DoD Firefighter 2. I pulled this off the osfm website and was wondering if anybody has any experience in doing this:

1. How do I transfer my certification from other states to
    Illinois?

The State of Illinois does not grant certificate reciprocity. All courses must be reviewed to establish if the course(s) satisfy a minimum of 80% of the required Illinois objectives. The review is based on submission of the course documentation, i.e., course syllabi, training documentation, proof of course completion and a completed equivalency checklist. The Authority having Jurisdiction is allowed to accept legal responsibility for the Firefighter II and III level, but all other courses must be reviewed by Office staff. When a course meets the 80% and equivalency is granted, the individual is allowed one attempt to challenge the State Written and Practical exams without further training. If the individual is successful, certification will be awarded. If unsuccessful, the individual must take an approved Illinois course before attempting the re-test

does anyone know what they are looking for when there asking for training documentation. I would think that since I was certified in accordace with NFPA 1001 for firefighter 1 and 2 that I shouldnt have any problems meeting 80% of the objectives. But im not really sure, if anyone has any insight let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you a member of a fire department in Illinois?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you must be a member of a fire department to challenge the state examinations.

Forum Member

K3 that was my understanding also. I know you can go to the academy and you can take the state test. However, the state will not grant the state certification letter without a Chief's signature.

Crash...what they are asking for is your training folder. Your old training officer should have all that documentation.

Here in Illinois, it's not good enough to just take a state test. The instructor fills out a practical key sheet, documenting that you've also completed all practicals successfully.

MembersZone Subscriber

This memo is posted online at the OSFM website. It indicates that you cannot even challenge the test without being on a fire department. I don't believe being a fire department in another state counts either.

Notice to the Fire Service

Date: May 26, 2005

Please remember in order to challenge any State Written Exam or to qualify for certification, individuals must be fire department personnel with duties as specified in 41 Illinois Administrative Code, Chapter 1, Part 140.2.

Fire department personnel are defined as follows:

“Fire Protection Personnel” and “Firefighter” mean any person engaged in fire administration, fire prevention, fire suppression, fire education and arson investigation, including any permanently employed trainee or volunteer firefighter, whether or not such person, trainee, or volunteer is compensated for all or any fraction of his/her time. (Section 2 of the Act)

There are no exceptions to this rule!

Please contact the office at 217/782-4542 if you have any questions or comments.

MembersZone Subscriber

I kinda figured that they wanted my training folder. K3, you are correct about being on a fd, and i was aware of that. im just trying to get some of the kinks worked out as I am getting out of the marine corps in a couple months. I was looking over the practicle modules for IL ff2 and it looks like I wont have any problems if they let me challenge the practicle and written tests(ill probably do a little ropes and knots review, unless i can just tie a clove hitch around everything...lol) . Hopefully I can find somewhere up north, moving back to huntley actually, where I can work as a poc or volly and catch up on everything. Thanks guys

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crashcrew59
    (ill probably do a little ropes and knots review, unless i can just tie a clove hitch around everything...lol)

If you can't tie a knot... tie ALOT!

Forum Member

You can challange the written test once without having taken a class. I'd suggest you read the book, if you have taken enought state tests you'll be able to spot the questions in the book. As for the practicles, that takes a certified instructor.

MembersZone Subscriber

which book/books does IL use for firefighter 2, in sc and on the fed side we are using the fourth edition of the esentials from ifsta, and some out of delmars firefighting handbook.

Forum Member

This is the book we are using for IL FF2 right now
    http://www.911hotjobs.com/bookstore2/pn677.htm

Thread Information