Forum Member

Default Changes at the Chicago Fire Department

Trotter to coordinate fire, police, health
    By Andy Shaw
    March 23, 2006 - Chicago Fire Commissioner Cortez Trotter just got promoted. Mayor Daley named Trotter Chicago's chief emergency officer Thursday morning. The new position was created to deal with emergency preparedness.

Mayor Richard Daley appointed fire commissioner Cortez Trotter as the city's first-ever chief emergency officer on Thursday. Trotter will oversee police, fire, and health services during a major disaster.
    The mayor is appointing deputy fire chief Raymond Orozco, the son of a former fire commissioner, to run the city's fire department in place of Cortez Trotter, who gets mixed reviews for his handling of racial tensions and firefighter safety over the past two years. Trotter is now taking on a much bigger assignment overseeing virtually everything related to planning for and handling big, small and medium-sized disasters and emergencies, which have become a major preoccupation for Mayor Daley.

"This is something you have, airports, fire, police, schools, children, that's one thing we really believe we need, much better coordination," said Mayor Richard Daley.

Mayor Daley says the federal government's failure to stop the 9-11 attacks,
    protect the victims of Hurricane Katrina and get enough bird flu vaccine demonstrates the importance of putting one person or agency in charge of planning, coordination and communication. The mayor is creating a new job of disaster czar for Cortez Trotter, a trained paramedic, former director of the 9-1-1 center and fire commissioner for the past two years.
    Daley says firefighting problems at 69 W. Washington, crowd control at a giant police march a couple years ago and security at Midway Airport, where a drunk wandered out on the field, make it obvious that no single department, or even the 9-1-1 center, can do it all, including management of snowstorms, heatwaves and floods.

"What I basically need is someone in charge of all the departments in regards for emergencies, and not just one," Daley said.

"These departments are going to function as they normally function, but the planning of the large-scale events that we have the potential to occur, that's where I will be beneficial," said Cortez Trotter, new chief emergency officer.

"I hope he does a better job at that job than at fire commissioner," said John Chwarzynski, Chicago Firefighters Union.

The president of the firefighter's union is glad to see trotter go.

"I think a lot of the rank and file was unhappy with him for a lot of promises that were made that weren't delivered," said Chwarzynski.

"He found a way to take care of all of that and he wanted it to continue to grow," said Ald. Ed Smith, 28th Ward. The new fire commissioner is Raymond Orozco, a 26-year veteran of the department and the son of a former fire commissioner with the same name.

"My father served the fire department and the city for 38 years. And if it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't be standing here today. They've instilled in me a work ethic and family values. The fire department is the passion of my life next to my family," said Raymond Orozco, new fire commissioner.

Orozco is not the top deputy at the fire department, but the mayor says he is the top man for the job and family connections have nothing to do with it.

As for Cortez Trotter, he was headed for a job in the private sector, but Daley talked him into staying on as disaster czar at a salary to be determined, but he will also be collecting his fire department pension of more than $100,000 a year.
    Not a bad deal eh?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

So what do you think Mikey?????? Good or bad?

Things have changed a lot since I worked in that neck of the woods. How does the rest of the Department feel about it??
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Boy, oh, boy does Daley take care of his friends.

I hope I can fall into something like that: take on a job for two years, then get a six-figure pension.

Rock on, State of Chicago!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

I am sure that most Chicago firefighters are happy to have a FIREFIGHTER back as Commissioner. Since I work in the suburbs it dosent effect me in the least.
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 03-24-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

State of Chicago thats for sure. Gov Be-crap-vich didnt even campaign down state.

Forum Member

I've met the guy a couple of times and he seems like a real good guy. Plus he has a great reputation from everyone I've talked to - and thats not an easy trick to pull off. Everyone is happy to have a fireman back in the job. Thank god!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Exclamation

Hey I sure hope this guy does a better job than Trotter did. Maybe he won't be sucking up on da mayor!!! At least he is a firefighter and from a firefighter family!!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree, having a firefighter in charge of the fire dept is always a good thing.

I heard that Trotter had a plan to cut down the budget wherever he could even if it meant staff or shutting down houses. Hopefully that won't happen now.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I've met the guy a couple of times and he seems like a real good guy. Plus he has a great reputation from everyone I've talked to - and thats not an easy trick to pull off. Everyone is happy to have a fireman back in the job. Thank god!
    Careful what you wish for...our last fireman turned commish turned out to be a sellout turncoat of the highest order! A one way MoFo if there ever was one.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightermfd1
    State of Chicago thats for sure. Gov Be-crap-vich didnt even campaign down state.
    He didnt do much campaigning ANYWHERE. HE DIDNT HAVE TO. I would love to hear how you have been wronged by the "State of Chicago"...
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Fred, the FC in Chicago is different then FDNY in that the FC is the highest rank within the department IE: on the fireground. So getting a commissioner who actually has fought and commanded a fire is a plus. (Trotter was a paramedic) Also Orozco has come up through the ranks as an officer. If I am not mistaken TVE was always "just" a firefighter and was never an offiicer?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Fred, the FC in Chicago is different then FDNY in that the FC is the highest rank within the department IE: on the fireground. So getting a commissioner who actually has fought and commanded a fire is a plus. (Trotter was a paramedic) Also Orozco has come up through the ranks as an officer. If I am not mistaken TVE was always "just" a firefighter and was never an offiicer?
    AH I see a difference.

Correct...Had 2 cups of coffee in Ladder 42 and Union President of the UFA. Took and failed the Lt's test numerous times...or so the story goes...sold the UFA a bill of goods for CFR-D in exchange for his appointment as the azz puppet FC for Mayor Rudy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    AH I see a difference.

Correct...Had 2 cups of coffee in Ladder 42 and Union President of the UFA. Took and failed the Lt's test numerous times...or so the story goes...sold the UFA a bill of goods for CFR-D in exchange for his appointment as the azz puppet FC for Mayor Rudy
    Buffalo works the same way the Commish is also an operational position. Basically the commish is the chief of department that also has administrative duties.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    AH I see a difference.

TWO cups? That many?

Last I heard, no one has found a phone booth to rent for TVE's bye bye party.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrkinsmketr
    TWO cups? That many?

Last I heard, no one has found a phone booth to rent for TVE's bye bye party.
    That was according to a former member of L-42..not my words. He was probably being generous.

Either way Commish, COD or whatever I hope this guy works out for the CFD better than the Can Man did for us.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I have talked to more people about our new leader and still can't find anyone with anything but possitive to say about him. I think things are gonna be good again for awhile!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Talking

illinois should let indiania annex chicago that way Illinios wouldnt be known as the great state of chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information