MembersZone Subscriber

Default High School Senior Needs Help With Career In Fire Service

Hello, my name is Perry Power, and I am new to the Firehouse fourms. A little introduction about myself, I am a High School Senior at Marion Military Institute in Marion, Alabama. My hometown is in Georgia. During last summer, I was able to expose myself to a local explorer post in my hometown, and since then, I can not think of doing any other job. My family is upper middle class, and alot of people would like to see me get an MBA or something of that extent, but quite honestly, I would rather do something that I love everyday, than make a good amount of money and hate my job. Currently, I have applied (and been accepted) to Montgomery College in Rockville, Maryland to work on an Associates degree in Fire Science. I have also began the process of becoming a "live in" with the Rockville Fire Department for the duration of my studies. I just wanted to ask anyone out there that has experance if there is something that would be benifical for a career in the Fire Service. I have already purchased a couple "Firefighter Examintion" test books, and try to make it a habit to study one to two hours a night in them. I am also activily looking to get my EMT-B certification while I am at Montgomery. I have a clean record, I have never been in trouble with the law, I have yet to get a single traffic violation (knock on wood). I come from a somewhat turbulent past (my mother began drinking beyond recognition when my parnets got divorced) and my father took both myself and my siblings through a very long legal battle. Besides that, I have absoultly nothing out of the ordinary. I am 6 foot 2, approx. 220 pounds, and can hold my own. Is there anything that I need to do to further prepare myself? What is the best situation that I can put myself in to one day be hired by a Fire Department? I would prefer to work in a larger city (I know FDNY has HUGE waiting lists), but I feel that if I play my cards properly now, I can perhaps gain an advantage later on. Any information would be helpful!! Thanks for your time!
    Perry Power

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure you will get lots of advice here. Mine is to make sure you establish good work habits, regardless of the job. Show up on time, ready to work. Learn everything about your job, regardless of how menial it is or how little it pays. This will give you some advantages-good work habits are a trait that many employers look for and having a tack record of work success will help you.

Keep doing the right thing and avoid legal trouble. At your age, it is very easy to get caught up in situations. Something stupid you do at 18 can haunt you for the rest of your life.

The Associates degree will mean very little in hiring, however any education in beneficial in the long run. Make contacts and network while in school. You never know when this will pay off.

Best of luck to you.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for your reply, I have established good work ethics through merely part time jobs to get a little extra spending money during my earlier high school years. I worked at a bus boy for a local place (the average time for employment was 4 months, I stayed on for 1 yr. 6 months). Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
    Perry Power

Forum Member

You have a cool last name! That will good on a bunker coat.

Stay out of trouble, breaking the law seems like the fastest way to not get a job.

Forum Member

Sounds to me like you have already made your decision. There is an old saying: "A person who loves their job never has to work a day in their life." Big money is a nice perk, but I know a lot of people who hate their high-paying jobs and dread going to work each day. Firefighting won't make you rich, but the rewards of doing the job are priceless!

Now all you have to do is study hard, work hard and stay clean (NO drugs!). Keep your driving record clean too.

Getting your EMT is a must for consideration in virtually any department nowadays. You should also consider going on to get your Paramedic as well.

Getting an A.S. in Fire Science will be beneficial in your career...Particularily for career advancement. Many departments require a college degree to be considered for higher ranks.

I'm not familiar with the "live-in" situation, but it sounds like you will most likely get some excellent exposure to the fire service, and it may be a "foot in the door" for you when you finally apply for a position.

Good luck!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Perry,

I was going to send you some info and whatnot, turn on your PM option on your profile.

Thread Information