Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Fire Fighting Ops. Near A Railroad

Perhaps there are some in the fire service, especially volunteers, unsure of the best way to conduct firefighting operations near and around a railroad, and in some cases, more than one railroad, such as Silver Springs,NY to name one example, and numerous locations west of Buffalo where the Norfolk Southern and CSX (NYC) main lines run close to each other. I am working on developing a manual based in part on my report on my visit to the CAER Safety Train that visited Bison Yard in Buffalo last fall. Among the features it will have are: List of railroad contacts, (particularly useful if,on mutual aid calls, depts. have to run hoses across more than one set of tracks, such as the NS Southern Tier and the Rochester Southern at Silver Springs, wheret he two are close together as well as numerous locations west of Buffalo. Applicable timetable station pages from the affected railroads will be included to further aid fire chiefs in giving railroad police location at which fire ops are being conducted so the railroad police can have the dispatcher halt all train operations until the fire scene near the tracks has been overhauled and cleaned up. I am not pretending to be a know it all, or super fireman or anything like that, but in my support role in my department, I strongly believe that volunteer departments will benefit from having this information to guide chiefs in fire fighting operations around the railroad, which can be quite a challenge unto itself. If anyone has any ideas of information to add, they will be most welcome.

Just remember, if and when the "railroad" people want the firehoses moved from their tracks, they win. Talk to your local railroad people, they have the power and authority to have your hoses removed to allow their trains to pass. If you regularly count on laying hose across tracks, you may want to look into alternate means of doing so.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Fire Ops Near A Railroad

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Just remember, if and when the "railroad" people want the firehoses moved from their tracks, they win. Talk to your local railroad people, they have the power and authority to have your hoses removed to allow their trains to pass. If you regularly count on laying hose across tracks, you may want to look into alternate means of doing so.
    That is a most excellent idea. I know a few signal and MofW people I could talk to about this. Actually, my department would be backing up a department in a community served by either Norfolk Southern or one of the Genesee and Wyoming railroads or both. They, too, will be furnished with a draft copy. I don't expect to have to run hoses across the tracks on a mutual aid call on a regular basis, only in an absolute emergency when it is unavoidable. Perry,NY lost its railroad back in 1973.Nearby Silver Springs, which we back up, has two railroads serving it and two places where the tracks are very close together. Norfolk Southern is the main line and Rochester Southern the regional carrier. That is why I am including a list of railroad contacts in the publication I am preparing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Forum Member

Default Conducting Firefighting Near Active Railroads

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Bones; if you or anyone else would like to see the text portion of the manual for fire ops around active railroad, please e-mail me at : rangerjim@bluefrog.com and I will be moret than pleased to e-mail. If a hard copy is desired please let me know where to send it and I will get it out to you asap. Thanks.

Thread Information