Forum Member

Default What to do with drug smuggling ships:

Ever wondered what us Australians do with seized ships?
    Did you ever think it would be fun to blow them up?
    Well it seems like the only sensible thing to do...
    The scuttling of the Pong Su
    Just go down and click on the first body of blue text for the video link.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice shooting!

Nothing like a little target practice for the RAAF.

I'd love to know what they used on it.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quick google search and the Herald Sun threw up this:
    The scuttling exercise involving four Royal Australian Air Force F-111 strike jets and two 2000-pound high explosive laser-guided bombs dropped on the drug ship cost $2.5 million alone.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looked like a nice live-fire exercise for the varks - I doubt they get too many chances to practice on ships.

Too bad the smugglers weren't still aboard.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hmm back home, we had 3 of them, actually refugee ships that were "detained" in 1999. They sat in Esquimalt Harbour for almost 3 years before they were sold, cleaned up and sunk as artificial reefs.

But for the F111 crews: WELL DONE THE GUN CREWS!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Talking

There's an idea,using drug runners for artificial reefs.Given what the enviromentalist whackos say about sinking retired USN ships for that purpose,would they object to druggie boats being sunk?

BTW,a destroyer coulda done the same job cheaper.5 inch shells cost a few thou and is basically plinking at floating targets.
    But that's just the sailor in me getting out of his cage.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Hmm back home, we had 3 of them, actually refugee ships that were "detained" in 1999. They sat in Esquimalt Harbour for almost 3 years before they were sold, cleaned up and sunk as artificial reefs.

But for the F111 crews: WELL DONE THE GUN CREWS!

MembersZone Subscriber

HEHEHEEHEHEE. Actually the Artificial Reef Society is who looks after the actual sinking of any ship (pre-planned that is) and they spend literally millions on ensuring that all spaces of the ship are completely cleaned and scrubbed before they sink.

And regarding your destroyer idea, there was an article in the Maple Leaf, which is a Canadian military paper, about HMCS VANCOUVER doing exactly that to a US destroyer. They were somewhere off the coast of Hawaii a month or two ago and used a sparrow missile and a few rounds from the Bofors gun to sink her.

When I was aboard HMCS CALGARY back in 99, we were doing PACEX in and around Guam and Tinian/Siapan and we had a 1950's destroyer that we were supposed to shoot missiles and guns at, but too many "protesters" kept infringing on the firing range, so no missiles, but lots of 3 inch stuff got shot off. Then two torpedoes from a couple Korean subs did the rest. WOW - what a sight. It took all of about 90 seconds to sink! Broke her back and that was it. And this is after they welded all the doors and hatches shut, to prolong buoyancy. YA RIGHT.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the link Patty. Very cool. Now that would be something I would like to watch. Wonder if they give flyover tours so you can be the one to press the button.

47 days and counting till my vacation......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Then two torpedoes from a couple Korean subs did the rest. WOW - what a sight.
    I have seen that Aussie Navy Video of the torpedo tests on old decommissioned warships. Friggin Amazing. Those ones sank in about a minute too.

With CIWS and the integrated defense systems the modern warship has a pretty formidable defensive shield from air, but the killing power of modern torpedoes is still downright chilling.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

My solution, a iowa class battleship with all her guns blazing, a torpedo or two and a few harpoon anti ship missiles.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    I have seen that Aussie Navy Video of the torpedo tests on old decommissioned warships. Friggin Amazing. Those ones sank in about a minute too.

With CIWS and the integrated defense systems the modern warship has a pretty formidable defensive shield from air, but the killing power of modern torpedoes is still downright chilling.
    Yep. I'll tell ya, it shor don give da warm fuzzy feel'n, let me tell ya

Harpoon missiles will take a big chunk outta ya, but a ship might survive. Torpedoes, well thats another thing all together.

Also... the Korean subs (not that it matters much on an exercise) were diesel boats too.

Thread Information