MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dave 404, got a question for you.

I was looking at your departments website and I noticed you have two stations there in High River. I was wondering how many people live in H.R.? Is the town fairly spread out to warrent two stations? The reason I'm asking is because we're going to be building two stations this year, I think it's a good idea, but we have a few members who thinki it's a waste of time and money. They also think it will cause more problems moral and logistics wise just to name a few. We serve a city of about 12,000 + or - and about 3-4,000 in the county. City council made their decision not just based on what's going on today but for future growth. Thanks for your input! Talk to you later.

Mike Zajac
    Deputy Fire Chief
    City of Wetaskiwin

Forum Member

Mike,

Our town is fairly spread out with a river that seperates the north (mostly residential, school and golf course - some light commercial) from the southern section where the guts of the town are. Our population is 11500 - 12000 (growing fast). Our main focus for this station was to be able to provide emergency response in case the only bridge gets washed out or shut down for an extended period. Also the main hall is more than 5km away from the north side and this affects your insurance rating for the town. Insurance underwriters made the recomendation in 1999 for a second station.
    We had mumblings from members but if we are able to provide a service to the people of our community more efficiently, I think that should be the common goal. Logistics of who responds to what will sort themselves out. Since our 2nd station has opened we had problems with the truck making it to calls before the other station responded (guys live at the station here) so other guys were getting upset that we were stealing all the calls. If thats the complaint then get over it - again emphasize the service to the community - cant argue against that. If its a structure fire - everyone is going anyway so whats the problem!

Hope that helps you out!
    Dave
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the response, it did help. A few of the guys are complaining about not making the truck and so on, but I did mention that we're for the community and not ourselves, some are still bi*ching. Maybe they just need time to think about it. Thanks for the input, I'll let you know what happens.

Mike

Thread Information