MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Theatrical - Theoretical Query

For arguements sake lets say that some Dork decided to extract the nuclear core and detonator from a nuclear device, with intent to blow it in a heavy population area. (not sure if these are the correct terms though)

FBI, CIA (and all the other 3 Letter Agencies {3LA's}), plus the army and all affected city resources are made aware. Now through lots of sleuthing and searching, the target individual is located, and forces are closing in.

Now here are some "unknowns":

1) you dont know how the device is rigged: timer, manual trigger, dead man switch etc.
    2) you dont know when the device is rigged to blow

A bit of background:

You as the local area Emergency Services Commander, whose job it is to protect the population from such mundane things as fires, floods etc, are now given the task to support the 3LA's in their endeavour. You know that there is a nuclear device somewhere in your city, and your job is to mitigate the damage, right? This is of course hoping that the 3LA's are able to neutralize the explosive threat from the bomb.

The Query:

Could you, in the interests of your crews, send them into an area where you have no idea if the 3LA's are even going to be capable of disarming the device? Would you try to hold them at a "safe distance" (if there is such a thing) until someone from the 3LAs calls them up? Or would you tell the 3LAs to go bugger themselves, and try to evacuate as many from the potentially affected area as possible? Would you stage resources less than a city block of the initial potential blast area?

What would/could you do?

Bear in mind the first word of the thread title....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is an implausible scenario. The federal law enforcement agencies would never, repeat never, involve a local agency of any type in the operational stages of an imminent terrorist strike.

How do I know this? Story time.

Private aircraft is observed "throwing" something out of the airplane into a reservoir. NYPD Aviation is mobilized and forces the aircraft to land at a small municipal airport in Morris County. Local PD and FD are first to arrive. Advised via radio from FBI to do nothing but secure the area.

Local LE terrorism folks are mobilized and respond according to their plan. Plane is secured and pilot is taken into custody. WMD Techs from the local LE are prepared to approach the plane approximately 30 minutes into the incident.

Not so fast. FBI JTTF arrives. They essentially take over the dispatch center, go into a private room, refuse entry to the local LE agencies. They interrogate the pilot. Approx. 4 hours later they determine the entire thing is bogus. There is no basis.

However, they want the WMD techs from the LE to enter the plane and take some samples. They tell the WMD Techs that they do not want them to wear any equipment as there is no threat and there is media at the airport. Supervisor of the WMD Techs gets really, really angry and begins to tell the fed agent exactly what he thinks of their operation. Then gets into it with a NYPD guy from the JTTF who decides to tell the LE WMD Techs how to do it. When he is asked why he doesn't do it, he advises that he doesn't have his equipment.

WMD Tech Supervisor advises the FBI JTTF guy that if the plane is going to be entered by the local LE WMD Techs, they are going to do it right-a Level B entry with decon and backups. FBI eventually gets angry and tells the local WMD Techs never mind and enters the plane themselves at a Level E (business suit only) entry to secure samples.

If an FBI Agent was getting his *** kicked outside my home, I would only go outside to hose the blood off the sidewalk.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    If an FBI Agent was getting his *** kicked outside my home, I would only go outside to hose the blood off the sidewalk.
    You are certainly not the first person who I have seen voice that exact sentiment George.

You evacuate, you jam the streets and people can't leave so they die when the fibbies aren't able to secure the device in time. You are sued for creating a violent scenario (even though you are fried with them.)

You don't evacuate the city and the fibbies aren't able to secure the device in time and people die. You are sued for nto doing enough to provide for the citizen's safety.

You evacuate the city, the fibbies secure the device and you are roundly criticized for overreacting and not having enough trust and faith in the "experienced" federal assets. (think Hurricane Rita evacuation in Texas last year.)

You do nothing, the fibbies secure the device and everyone has a nice day. You get fired for some political reason.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This is why it is so much nicer to be a Private or Lieutenenant and have the least responsibility possible.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys. These were the answers I expected. The whole purpose for the original query was that (here comes Hollywood) I had watched Peacemaker with George Clooney and Nicole Kidman. The final minutes of the movie were pretty much as I described above. All I could do was shake my head and smile.

Ya, I know... Hollywood

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This is why it is so much nicer to be a Private or Lieutenenant and have the least responsibility possible.

Truer words are seldom spoken.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

See? That's what you get when you watch a movie with a big-mouthed, overrated pretty boy actor.

MembersZone Subscriber

See? That's what you get when you watch a movie with a big-mouthed, overrated pretty boy actor.
    Who cares about the Pretty Boy? I was in it for Nicole ehehehehehe

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Who cares about the Pretty Boy? I was in it for Nicole ehehehehehe
    She's a little nuts, too.

Forum Member

May be nutty, but at least she was smart enough to get rid to her freaky ex-husband.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, if she wants to eat "nuts" thats ok with me. And I agree with DaSharkie.

Thread Information