Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Response times

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Response times

Are any of you all in a position where you live so far away from the station that your always one of the last no matter what you do (like having your uniform, keys, coat, etc ready)? I live at my district boarder, although it is the closest boarder to the station and I'm one of the furthest away so I'm always one of the last to get there. I don't really agree with responding from home because I did a report as part of my fire science degree that showed many of the vehicle fatalities were volunteers responding from home to the station or to the call. I feel that there should be duty crews (oh, we are a combination department) but that doesn't seem to be to popular or do-able at any of the stations I've been to.

I was just curious.

K

I live a ways from the station, So I respond to the scene most of the time in my POV. We have a SOG in place that the closest Officer respond to the scene unless it is a working structure. The only thing that over rides the SOG is if we are low in numbers like during the day or if we are running multiple calls.

Forum Member

I live farther away than most of our members so here is what I do. There are 2 streets that run paralell to each other I live on one of them. The station is on a road that intersects both. If it is an ems and I would have to drive past I will stop at the scene. If it is on the other side of the district I will go to the station. MVA or fire Staion first. We are required to keep our geear there so going to the scene would be pointless.
    Stay Safe and live long

Quote Originally Posted by sfdtim11
    I live farther away than most of our members so here is what I do. There are 2 streets that run paralell to each other I live on one of them. The station is on a road that intersects both. If it is an ems and I would have to drive past I will stop at the scene. If it is on the other side of the district I will go to the station. MVA or fire Staion first. We are required to keep our geear there so going to the scene would be pointless.
    Is there a particular reason you have to keep your gear at the station?

I live almost on the far edge of town from the station, which means I rarely make the first or even second engine, but I'll usually make the third.

We respond POV to EMS calls, but for everything else, we have to respond to the station. This seems to work well for us and has cut-down on the freelancing that used to occur. Plus, we only carry SCBAs for the riding positions on the rig. Also, many of our streets are narrow and hilly (we're a foothill community) and it would cause major traffic problems to have both apparatus and POVs at the scene.

Most members keep their gear at the station, but some do carry it with them (I used to because my locker was at the back, and it was quicker to grab it from my truck and go straight to the engine). Even now, I keep my turnout pants with me at home because I usually pull them on responding to any call.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

I live about 2 miles and 3 stoplights outside of the district line, so my response is usually delayed. As a driver, I base my response on what trucks have gotten up. If all the assigned trucks are up, which happens about 50% of the time, I'll generally head for the scene, unless it's at the northern end of the district and in that case I'll hjead to our main station and man the small rescue truck to cover EMS calls. If all the assigned trucks are not up, I'll head for a station with assigned apparatus still in quarters (we have 5 stations).

EMS calls are POV and the district is divided into EMS response zones. If it isn't in my assigned zone, I roll over and put the pager back on alarm, which is the purpose of the system.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RES81CUE

We keep our gear at the staion for many reasons.One is it keeps us as individuals from being responsible if stolen or damaged when not out to a call or drill. Two would be it keeps some of the guys from rushing to the scene it forces them to go ride the apparatus. Three it eliminates the povs on the scene. It also makes it easier for the officers to check for damaged gear. I like it because we always hace a truck full of guys in full gear ready to go when the truck leaves the barn.
    Stay Safe and live long

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default ??????????

How would you get to the fire or station, if you dident responded from home.

Wow.... I must have it made... leave the driveway turn left, one stop sign and a right, first one to open up shop....
    Giggity - Giggity!

Quote Originally Posted by WMFF12
    Wow.... I must have it made... leave the driveway turn left, one stop sign and a right, first one to open up shop....
    Me too......if it weren't for the trees and highway.....I could be there in seconds vise....1 minute.....
    IACOJ Member

Quote Originally Posted by RES81CUE

Ours is kept there too. B/c its pointless to show up with the Batman Suit with out your bat belt.
    IACOJ Member

Permanently Removed

Thumbs up

I recommend using Warning Lights on your P.O.V. I suggest Whelen. They help me get to the firehouse faster. The more lights the better your seen!

everybody duck!!!

and to make this post relevant: i live about a mile and half from the station. I guess it takes me aminute to a minute and a half to get to the station. I'm ussually last on the first truck or first on the second depending on what and when the alarm is. We keep our gear in the station always.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tbonetrexler; 03-27-2006 at 08:26 PM.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTVFDNJ
    I recommend using Warning Lights on your P.O.V. I suggest Whelen. They help me get to the firehouse faster. The more lights the better your seen!
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? YOU just opened a can of worms......
    Stay Safe and live long

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    Me too......if it weren't for the trees and highway.....I could be there in seconds vise....1 minute.....
    Same here 1 and 1/2 blocks from the station. Still can't dottle though four other guys live within 3 blocks. We also keep our gear in the station.

As far as the lights CTVFDNJ why would you set yourself up like that?
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by krawllins07
    Are any of you all in a position where you live so far away from the station that your always one of the last no matter what you do (like having your uniform, keys, coat, etc ready)?
    Not to sound like a jerk, but it's a good thing if the trucks are rolling fast.

You could 1) move closer to the station, 2)hang around the station more 3) hope everybody is out of town when a call comes in.

Oh! Or you could push for the department to build a substation near you.

Don't know what to tell you, my friend.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB

HaHa.. Easy here too.. Left out of driveway, hit the intersection, bang a left and there is the firehouse.. 45 seconds?? But I know what you all mean with the distance.. We are not required to keep our gear at the firehouse but you are to respond there until all required rigs are out.. Otherwise POV response is fine, also if you have to pass the scene..
    Rescue
    Eat, Sleep,
    Repeat

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

We keep our gear at the station. I am 2 blocks directly west of our station. Usually one of the first to arrive.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

It takes me about a minute to get to my station but i am moving in a month to a new city and department and i am going to live a ways out. I am not loooking forward to the distance but i am looking forward to the increased call volume

MembersZone Subscriber

We have nearest officer go to the sceane the rest we want to come to the station because then your sure to have all of the needed equipment and you dont have POVs cloging the road. If some one keeps forgeting this he is reminded by an officer. we have had mutual aid Povs get stuck in the driveway in front of are engine,and at another they all came to are sceane without an engine and we were 900 feet short on the water supply lay we had 3600 feet out but had to call another town to finish lay we now request MA come without POVson automatic aid and to limit them whenwe want only man power
    Last edited by captaincvfd; 04-01-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Thread Information