View Poll Results: What do you think are the biggest hazards faced today during extrication?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Undeployed SRS

23 63.89%
  • Hybrid Vehicles

5 13.89%
  • Alternative Fuels

4 11.11%
  • Cut Resistant Metals

4 11.11%
    Forum Member

Question The Biggest Hazard?

What do you think are the biggest hazards faced today during extrication?
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

You didn't list mine...........other vehicles!

But I voted undeployed SRS.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Same with me. The greatest risk to responders at vehicle crash scenes is actually the hazard of working in or near moving traffic. The poll is bogus without that as a choice.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Arrow

Please feel free to post the hazard you feel creates the greatest danger.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

hazard of working in or near moving traffic
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Just being there is a hazard.
    Stay Safe and live long

Forum Member

The biggest hazards are the responders on scene that think they know what they are doing. You can control traffic to a point. But people will always be the problem.

FIGJAM

Gotta agree with rolandthunder! Other agencies can be a real problem....

From the list however, I'd suggest SRS- we simply can't keep up with the options and locations for them....
    Luke

Forum Member

I agree with the traffic problem, But in keeping with the poll differently the SRS, Even as much as I keep up with them, they change so fast that you can not keep the postings up to date on the web site. I just got a bunch of pictures sent to me from the Toronto auto show, showing all the location marking on the new Volvo C70, I will have them posted one day this week, The bad thing is that we are just getting people to look for these markings and now a lot of them are talking about not showing them any more because it is hurting their sales.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

MembersZone Subscriber

other traffic then airbags.....
    Jonesy
    Fail to plan. Plan to fail.

FL EMT-B
    FL State Firefighter
    Pro Board Firefighter
    Career Firefighter
    Local 2103

MembersZone Subscriber

Umm, can I say unprotected EMS?

Then Traffic,

Then SRS.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default biggest hazard

rubber necking, white hair, Cadillac driving, too old to be on the road people who feel tht need to get as close to the fire truck as possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bariatric patients!

Forum Member

On the poll, I think SRS system is our biggest hazzard. It is so under-taught and overlooked every day and they keep adding more. You could drive a 7-Series BMW off a bridge and when it impacts the water, the thing will probably float for an hour. But we all to often hop right in and start working on the patient with those things just waiting to go off.

Not on the poll, and in my opinion the BIGGEST HAZZARD of anything we can ever do is traffic.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I agree with the rest of you, however one that I feel is overlooked way to much is what is under the hood and in the trunk. We train on Hybrids, airbags, alt fuels, traffic control, cutting in proper areas after the peal and peak method. How many of you check the trunk for meth labs, propane tanks, hosehold cleaners, gas cans. The list could go on. My answer would have to be alt fuel according to the poll. BUT man made dangers in the other column. Alan

Forum Member

How about magnesium in the engine compartment? Hondas come to mind as a manufacturer that uses magnesium. A material that burns 5,000? No thanks.

Statistically, the biggest danger IS from traffic. Airbags aren't a worry if you cut the battery - unless the car has a capacator that's holding the juice for a while - might take as long as 5 minutes. Our rescue squad doesn't start cutting until the vehicle is stabilized, and the battery cables cut.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I agree on the traffic problem, followed by SRS. Particularly since SRS manufacture is (I believe) nationally regulated, but only to the point when it is delivered to the auto manufacture. Thats when things go dicey. Auto Maker A decides that he wants the SRS to deploy at X time or Y vehicle angle. Whereas Auto Maker B figures those numbers are too early. In both cases, the auto makers make changes to a safety device that at the time it was built did meet all national required safety protocols.

** dont shoot me on this one, this is as best as I can remember from some of the lectures we had back with Malahat VFD, which was more than 2yrs ago now.**

I only remember some of this, because the speaker was commenting specifically regarding a new model Corvette that they got to play with, and the air bags deployed 20 MINUTES after they finished playing with the car.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chopper12
    Airbags aren't a worry if you cut the battery - unless the car has a capacator that's holding the juice for a while - might take as long as 5 minutes. Our rescue squad doesn't start cutting until the vehicle is stabilized, and the battery cables cut.
    Sorry to pick on you. Don't take this personally, it is a matter of convinience. This is example A of why airbags should be #1. A lack of training results in complacentcy and ultimately in someone getting hurt. They ALL have capacitors and five minutes is the MINIMUM drain time. It can be a as long as 10 or 12 minutes depending on the design. And that is merely the electronic trigger. If the bags utilize compressed gas cylinders, they are usually located in the A & B posts, the edge of the roof, or the kick panel by your feet. You can take the battery out, wait 3 days, and it will still explode when you cut into the cylinder because you didn't know it was there.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Sorry to pick on you. Don't take this personally, it is a matter of convinience. This is example A of why airbags should be #1. A lack of training results in complacentcy and ultimately in someone getting hurt. They ALL have capacitors and five minutes is the MINIMUM drain time. It can be a as long as 10 or 12 minutes depending on the design. And that is merely the electronic trigger. If the bags utilize compressed gas cylinders, they are usually located in the A & B posts, the edge of the roof, or the kick panel by your feet. You can take the battery out, wait 3 days, and it will still explode when you cut into the cylinder because you didn't know it was there.

You have a point. I guess this is exactly why we have books listing all these things in the trucks.

I guess what I was trying to say is that sometimes we concentrate on the obvious issues (airbags) while ignoring some that don't get as much attention.
    Last edited by chopper12; 04-21-2006 at 12:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that working in/around moving traffic would have to be the greatest risk.

From the list I would need to go with alternative fuels. I feel reasonably comfortable with the training available to help me deal with the challenges of undeployed airbags, Hybrids, and cut resistant metals. Iím a little (a lot) leery of propane, hydrogen fuels, and even some of the hopped up stuff you might find in performance cars.

Just my 2Ę (wow, when did they take the cent sign off of the keyboard)?

Forum Member

As for the polls choices, I'll go with undeployed airbags. But the biggest overall hazard - traffic.
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I agree with the traffic, however it is alot easier for me to use that big red thingy to block traffic than it is for me to remember where the SRS cylinders are for a couple thousand different vehicle makes and manufacturers.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information