MembersZone Subscriber

Default Publication Article

I have been asked by our state association to write an article for the upcoming quarterly publication. Does anyone here have any suggestions for an article. I was thinking something along the lines of either wildland safety (since we are getting into grass fire season) or maybe even equipment/vehicle checkouts. Any suggestions would be grealty appreciated.

Thank you

Forum Member

As one of my writing teachers told me a long time ago, "write what you know".

What are you more comfortable writing about. First and foremost you have to show that you know what you are talking about in your article. Especially since you are writing a fire article for a fire publication that will be read by firefighters. They'll be able to tell if you faking it in the first few paragraphs.

The words will also flow better if you are comfortable.

If you want to you can send me your rough draft for editing. I'll try to help you the best I can.

Good luck.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

What kind of articles have been in past issues? Does the publication have a specific focus (as you mentioned wildland firefighting). Who will your target audience be? The fire service in general? Wildland firefighters? Or???
    How long does the article have to be?

Studying for my degree means I have written more than a few research papers on numerous fire science topics. You don't necessarily have to be an expert on your topic. Just make sure it is well documented and researched.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

sherry
    Last edited by superchef; 03-26-2006 at 04:20 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default article

Well, Thanks for the response all.

Sherry, it is a state fire publication. There really hasn't been any articles in it before. I am not sure on the length requirement yet. And this publication is geared for the entire fire service in our state. I was just thinking wildland since the majority of our fire departments respond to those type of calls (ie brush, grass type fires).

MembersZone Subscriber

This might be a thought since a part of wildland firefighting has to be risk assessment ( I would imagine anyway). The NFPA is revising 6 standards. This is one of the ones that is under revision. Maybe this would make a good article?

"NFPA's Guide for the Evaluation of Fire Risk Assessments (BSR/NFPA 551-200x) is under revision as well. This guide primarily assists authorities having jurisdiction in evaluating the appropriateness and execution of a fire risk assessment (FRA) for a given fire safety problem. Although this guide mostly addresses regulatory officials, it also applies to those who review FRAs, such as insurance company representatives and building owners."

Thread Information