Forum Member

Default Diesel Saddle Tank leaks

After a search of the forum's without any luck I will post this question here because I the HazMat forum does not get as many visits.

I am looking for your advise on good products to stop a diesel leak from a saddle tank. The type of products we have used in the past don't work that well at stopping an actual leak, just when you think you have it stopped the leak starts up again. We have used several different products from Plug N Dike to various putties that you mold into the hole with the same above results. There has got to be something out there that is easy to use and will stop the leak. Any advise out there??
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Station2Capt
    After a search of the forum's without any luck I will post this question here because I the HazMat forum does not get as many visits.

I am looking for your advise on good products to stop a diesel leak from a saddle tank. The type of products we have used in the past don't work that well at stopping an actual leak, just when you think you have it stopped the leak starts up again. We have used several different products from Plug N Dike to various putties that you mold into the hole with the same above results. There has got to be something out there that is easy to use and will stop the leak. Any advise out there??
    We keep two or three bars of soap in the cab of the pumper for just that reason. Works fairly well and its cheap!

Forum Member

Try putting your Plug N Dike or even sand into an EMS glove. Put the glove against the opening and use a wooden plug or wedge (or a combination of both depending on the shape of the hole) to drive the glove into the hole. The glove will conform to the shape of the hole while to wedge/plug will hold it in place. This works well on saturated and dirty surfaces that the epoxy's and putty's won't.

MembersZone Subscriber

try using a ratchet type strap and a chunk of rubber ,diesel fuel makes the rubber funny so you'll need to replace it after time, sometimes even a block of wood on top to push harder on hole

MembersZone Subscriber

Golf tees and pencils

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How to try and stop leaks

I read somewhere that some departments are keeping some toilet wax rings and have had good luck using them to stop leaks. They would need to be kept from getting too cold so they remain pliable. What I remember was they would remove a section of the wax and push it into the hole or seam then feather out the edges. We have not tried it yet but I brought a few wax rings to try out in the spring.
    Last edited by SMCAPT7; 03-28-2006 at 01:15 PM.
    "Fire Prevention is our Intention"

**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**

Interesting....good question & great responses!

Forum Member

I have often wondered if chunks of closed cell foam cut into different sizes and shapes might not work well for plugging odd shaped holes and tears in tanks until they can be pumped out. It can be compressed and pushed into irregular shaped openings, then it will re-expand to seal the leak.

Currently, we use M9 putty, various size wood wedges and wood and rubber plugs. If all else fails, the trusty 5 gallon buckets are employed.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information