Thread: Any NOFD Ideas?

Forum Member

Default Any NOFD Ideas?

Hi. In June and July, I'm going to be in New Orleans as a volunteer EMT is there any station or rescue squad I can ride at that is maybe on the west bank? I'm going to be staying with family in the country club, Beau Chene (Mandeville) and I have my own car. Is it possible that you can recommend a place I can ride to me, I'm speaking to Chief Veba (NOFD) but it is taking a long time. Anyways also do you have any recommendations of what I can bring down? Some people recommend body armor and a badge in addition to my EMS uniform. I also have lights and a siren on my car will I be able to use these there? Thanks.

Forum Member

Default Nofd

If your going, at least get the Chiefs name right.

Correct pronounciation is "Beeba"

JT

Forum Member

This is all an early April Fools prank right? But in the interest of being kind, I iwlll tell you that the NOFD provides first responder service. N.O. EMS is a seperate entity. My suggestion is that you take a few days and volunteer to something for a group such as Habitat for Humanity. That would be much more meaningful then flying around with lights and sirens in your car wearing your EMT suit and BODY ARMOUR.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    This is all an early April Fools prank right? But in the interest of being kind, I iwlll tell you that the NOFD provides first responder service. N.O. EMS is a seperate entity. My suggestion is that you take a few days and volunteer to something for a group such as Habitat for Humanity. That would be much more meaningful then flying around with lights and sirens in your car wearing your EMT suit and BODY ARMOUR.
    Dude. Haha the lights sirens and body armor kind of was a joke but seriously I don't know if we need those things, but when I see this image (taken in Downtown New Orleans) of a station thats less than 15 minutes away and thats how they were protecting their truck, I don't really know what to think. Anyways I've gotten a couple offers but theyre too far away (Baton Rouge and further north or west). I was looking for something on the west bank but I can't find anything. O and just for the record I HAVEN'T used my lights or sirens yet. My little brother got em for me and had em installed and I didnt feel like spending 20 bucks at best buy to get em taken out.

jtstoney - since you know veba or beeba, where do you ride?
    Last edited by Millertime200; 04-03-2006 at 01:19 AM.

Forum Member

That picture was probably taken 7 months ago. That 20 bucks would be a wise investment "dude".
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

That picture was probably taken 7 months ago. That 20 bucks would be a wise investment "dude".
    Actually the end of October but yea I guess your right. I'm just trying to help and be prepared because I know so little about what actually is going on down there and what I can do. Also, I just got that stuff taken off my car so now I'm going to sell a Whelen siren and SA-500 siren (definitely worth the $20!!)

Forum Member

Well you can do what people do down there. Drink, talk to pretty girls, catch some live music. While in Mandeville, I suggest Ruby's Roadhouse for agood time. In New Orleans, there are lots of fun things to do.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Well you can do what people do down there. Drink, talk to pretty girls, catch some live music. While in Mandeville, I suggest Ruby's Roadhouse for agood time. In New Orleans, there are lots of fun things to do.
    No problem there. Just trying to help. Thanks... dude from the windy city

Forum Member

Go spend a little time and a little cash down there. You will be helping more then you realize.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Question

???

I think that you have been doing too much miller time. Probably a whacker as well.

If I was going to New Orleans, which I am not, I would get a letter from the fire chief stating that you are invited and will be riding with the department. BE sure that you will be covered by their insurance or your departments, if they are endorsing you going down there. I am not sure that I would want to my self, of course I am an older man with over 30 years on the job, in a large east coast department, so what in the hell do I know any way?
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by allineedisu
    Probably a whacker as well.
    Where the hell does that come from?

Quote Originally Posted by millertime200
    I just got that stuff taken off my car.
    So does that make me an uber wacker or what?

Look,I'm just asking for a simple suggestion, and thanks for the information but why the attitude? It's completely uncalled for and everyone else here knows it...
    Last edited by Millertime200; 04-04-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Go go down there and do what ever you want to do. Be sure to check out the young ladies if you don't do anything else. Be use to keep the little one covered if you do.

I guess allineedisu must have thought that you were a whacker since you said you was going to sell a SA500. Most of them have that type of stuff hooked up on their POV's. So why would you have one of these any way?

If the department or city don't furnish it, I don't have it or use it.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer
    Go go down there and do what ever you want to do. Be sure to check out the young ladies if you don't do anything else. Be use to keep the little one covered if you do.

I guess allineedisu must have thought that you were a whacker since you said you was going to sell a SA500. Most of them have that type of stuff hooked up on their POV's. So why would you have one of these any way?

If the department or city don't furnish it, I don't have it or use it.

My younger brother got it for me on ebay. $60 for the Whelen and $45 for the SA-500. If you ask me that POV stuff is a complete waste. 1st I don't even know if its legal in MD, 2nd how does it actually help you respond? It doesn't give you a license to run traffic lights, it gives u permission to sit at a red light looking the christmas tree at the Rockefeller Center and having people stare at you, their eyes asking why the hell aren't you running the red light.

Anyways now that I'm done rambling... I'll make sure to meet some ladies but still, no one from NOFD reads this section of the forum? Kind of disheartening but I'll figure it out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Millertime200
    1st I don't even know if its legal in MD, 2nd how does it actually help you respond?
    No, Lights and Sirens on POVs are NOT LEGAL in Maryland, even for Volunteer Firefighters, Volunteer Fire/Police, or Volunteer Auxiliary Police.

When I lived there and was a Vol, I was told that there were only 2 states in the USA that do not allow POV Lights and Sirens, and MD was one of them. I have always wondered who the other state was.

As to how it helps you respond, well in MD it can't! But, if you are in a state that allows a public safety person to use lights and or sirens on ther POV, it does help. Many states require people who use lights and/or sirens have to
    have either a special TAG (like a Volly FD tag) or sticker on their vehicle identifying them. In addition, most states have very specific rules and guidlines on what to use, and how to use it. For example, in PA, a vol Firefighter uses a BLUE LIGHT on their roof, but in other states you use a RED one. Some areas allow you the use of sirens, some just the lights. Some areas allow users to "run through" traffic lights (after slowing/stopping and making sure its clear), and some don't. Some areas treat the POVs the same as any emergency vehicle, and some don't. It all depends on the state, city and county.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I know of no states that will allow you the permission to just run red traffic signal and or stop signs, using lights and sirens. Most states laws read that the operator of the emergency vehicle must have the vehicle under control at all times. If you approach a traffic signal that is red, you must come to a complete stop and then proceed, only if any opposing traffic has stopped and it is safe to proceed through the red signal. Other wise, turn the noise (sirens and air horns) off and sit there until the traffic clears then proceed. If you do run the light and are involved in a motor vehicle accident, then you as the driver /operator may be charged by then police and charges will probably be forth coming from the department on the driver and the Officer of that company!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Your first mistake...

Your first mistake is talking to and beleiving anything Chief Leroy H. Beba has to say. His actual realm of command in the department is very limited and what he is in charge of he does with complete incompetence. One of his shining achievements is that he has special ordered apparatus with air intakes a mere 18" off of the ground. Even our rookies laugh at this. I hope you can see the problem with that.

You want to ride on our Rescue Squad? Well we have two and they cover different areas of the city. They are probably not the rescue squads you are referring to though. The EMS service is run by the city health dept and the "squads" that we have are heavy rescue, technical rescue, and fire suppression manpower units. They are very similar to the Rescue units in FDNY. If you are just an EMT with no other experience we have no use for you. In fact, we don't care much for do gooder volunteers anyway.

So if you are coming to New Orleans, you are better off just going down to the French Quarter, getting drunk, chasin women, and having a good time. Spend some money down here, after all that's all we really need from you.

I know the media has been talking about how stressed and overworked we are, in some respects that is true. Most of us have lost our homes and possessions. We still have an ongoing lawsuit with the city and they won't honor the court's decision. We are making more fires than ever before. We do have manpower shortages. The guys who are here working now are the same guys that stayed the entire time through the storm and they are the guys that go in and put the fire out. The guys that aren't here didn't do much work in the first place so they aren't really missed.

Your intentions to help may be honorable, but they aren't needed here. What the city really needs is your money... so leave as much as you can.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NOFDCaptain
    Your first mistake is talking to and beleiving anything Chief Leroy H. Beba has to say. His actual realm of command in the department is very limited and what he is in charge of he does with complete incompetence. One of his shining achievements is that he has special ordered apparatus with air intakes a mere 18" off of the ground. Even our rookies laugh at this. I hope you can see the problem with that.

You want to ride on our Rescue Squad? Well we have two and they cover different areas of the city. They are probably not the rescue squads you are referring to though. The EMS service is run by the city health dept and the "squads" that we have are heavy rescue, technical rescue, and fire suppression manpower units. They are very similar to the Rescue units in FDNY. If you are just an EMT with no other experience we have no use for you. In fact, we don't care much for do gooder volunteers anyway.

So if you are coming to New Orleans, you are better off just going down to the French Quarter, getting drunk, chasin women, and having a good time. Spend some money down here, after all that's all we really need from you.

I know the media has been talking about how stressed and overworked we are, in some respects that is true. Most of us have lost our homes and possessions. We still have an ongoing lawsuit with the city and they won't honor the court's decision. We are making more fires than ever before. We do have manpower shortages. The guys who are here working now are the same guys that stayed the entire time through the storm and they are the guys that go in and put the fire out. The guys that aren't here didn't do much work in the first place so they aren't really missed.

Your intentions to help may be honorable, but they aren't needed here. What the city really needs is your money... so leave as much as you can.
    Yea I figured this out a while ago. I dropped Beba back in May but thanks for the advice anyways. Actually you probably would have use for me considering that I'm third on engine and third on squad. Thanks for the help though. -M

Thread Information