Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Motorola Saber III's

Our department has a source for used Motorola VHF Saber III's. They are the ones with the long, slender body, three function buttons, and 4X3 DTMF button array. Has anyone had any experience with them and, if so, can you give me some input on how they performed?

They're being surveyed out of the Texas DPS, and reconditioned. We bought one to experiment with (I'm playing with it now); however, any further help would be greatly appreciated.

They are great, robust radios... probably one of Motorola's finest (they don't make 'em like that anymore!)

HOWEVER >>>> They have long been discontinued for production, parts, and repair. If one of them needs service, you are basicly screwed. Not a good thing for emergency services. The bargain you are getting now won't be such a bargain when they are all in the box labeled "needs service".
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

We're getting them for about $100 apiece, and the one that I'm testing out right now is in excellent shape. I believe that the dept. also got an HT-1000, or something like that, to try out.

I certainly have a bit more respect for Motorola than Icom...esp. the little ones that are only about the size of a pack of cigarettes. We have a few of those floating around the dept., too.

My personal portable is a Vertex 180. It's good for simplex. We have a Vertex 6000 with a mobile repeater in our first-due truck. The Vertex portable works well with it.

The concept behind purchasing the surplus lot of Motorola radios was that if one crapped out on us, then we simply issue another "cheap" surplus radio.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by direvindex
    I certainly have a bit more respect for Motorola than Icom...esp. the little ones that are only about the size of a pack of cigarettes. We have a few of those floating around the dept., too.
    At work we have ICOM, they are very nice when they work. The batteries seem to last foever, and they are fairly tough. But it's pretty easy to lose a signal.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Thread Information