Thread: ? for a friend

Forum Member

Default ? for a friend

hi all. this is my first post but i have been reading for a little while now but havnt had any questions yet. i know this is a great place and i will be around for a while.
    well one of my buddys was asking me a couple questions about firefighting and wanting to do it. well his one concern was that he has taken steroids. we live in orlando and i know some places that do polygraph and he is worried about not getting hired. i wasnt sure what to tell him so i figured i would try here. should he worry to much or not. thanks for the help

MembersZone Subscriber

Tell the truth, if you don't and get caught they can let you go even after probation.

Forum Member

thanks, so he will be able to get the job even if he has. i mean it was in his past and everyone makes mistakes. i told him i wasnt sure what they would do. any one else have an opinion

MembersZone Subscriber

Just tell the interviewer "Your Friend" took them.

Forum Member

Honesty is the most effective counter-balance to the weeding-out process there is.

Some departments may disqualify him even if he's come clean during the pre-polygraph interview. Some departments may have a policy on time since usage. Still, others may not have a policy at all.

The main thing is that it's better to be up front with it than to find out later and have it bite you in the rear. I would imagine that time make alot of difference. If he is going for his polygraph and he dosed up last week, then it's a problem. If it's something that he did several years ago, and he hasn't done it since, then that should count for something in his behalf. If he hasn't started the hiring process yet, then I'd advise him to contact the recruitment division and ask them prior to submitting the app. The recruiter will likely ask how long it has been since he last dosed. By calling ahead of time, at least he'll know whether it's worth his time to try or not. It's all going to pretty much depend on the policies of the department that he's interested in.

Forum Member

thanks guys, does anyone know if they ask about or test for any type of steroid.

Thread Information