Forum Member

Question Chainsaw Managment?

What are you guys using to hold your chainsaw when you're climbing aerials and ground ladders? Other than holding it, i.e.: slings, straps, carabiners, etc. If you're using straps/slings how and where do you attach them? Does anyone use anything that protects the bar/chain?
    Thanks,
    Corey

Forum Member

I usually call a tree service to cut down my trees for me, so I dont really climb a ladder to often with a chain saw.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

We just use a strap attached by the trigger grip and to the cross handle. Throw it over your shoulder and climb the ladder. We use the cutters edge so its got its own bar/chain guard that doubles as a depth gauge which is useless.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ditto on the cutters edge and strap configuration.

Forum Member

Attach it to a length of rope, leave the saw on the ground, climb the ladder, then pull the saw up.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

FIGJAM

Haul it up the ladder on rope as Staback suggested...
    Luke

Forum Member

It is highly stressed by chainsaw manufacturers that you should never stop a chainsaw with your hands or genitals
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I also go with PFD. An aerial is wide and stable, you should be able to hold onto it or carry it with a strap. On the other hand if you want to haul it up this is what we did in a truck company I was with a few years back when we had to bring a K-12 to the roof of a 4 or 5 story building. One person waits on the ground with the saw. Carry the rope bag up with you..tie the end off..drop the bag..the rope deploys and doesn't tangle..saw is tied off, don't pull the rest of the rope out. Tie it where it is. The rope still in the bag can be used as a tag line if needed or just let it hang. The rope is also useful after the fire to lower the saws, tools, and SCBA's when you're done.

Forum Member

Thanks guys!
    Great info.
    Corey

MembersZone Subscriber

Start the saw and run it up to speed then shut it down and haul/carry it up. Alway a good plan- you look pretty stupid yanking on the pull cord while you're hanging on to the ladder. If it doesn't start on the ground it probably won't start on the ladder or roof. Oh yeah, push in/on the compression release before you send it up or climb with it. That will give you that old start on the first pull.
    If you have to climb with the saw, have the bar/tip facing down the ladder. You can rest the engine on a rung if you have a big climb and the chain is facing kevlar not your face/neck or BA.
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"
    Smokey
    Local 4124

Forum Member

start on the ground in clean air then set the chain brake.
    chances are that where you are going, the smoke will make it difficult to start.
    trail the saw with the chain towards the rear from the right hand while ascending the ladder.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    It is highly stressed by chainsaw manufacturers that you should never stop a chainsaw with your hands or genitals
    Thanks DrP., Read your message just in time. I was planning to try one, or both of those methods this morning!!! Thank goodness for these forums!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Check your straps also before you head up a ladder. We had a problem the other day. About halfway up an aerial, the strap to a K 12 gave way, luckily only the strap fell, and the guy carrying the saw was able to grab it and bring it to the roof.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

My department uses a rope hose tool as a sling to carry a gas powered saw to the roof. The saw is started on the ground, break applied, and then carried up the ladder.

Forum Member

You cain't stop that chain with your bare hands.It's like it's a machine or something.
    Now I know why we had an Igloo type cooler near the ladder when I'd get assigned to open a roof.
    "Throw my leg in there,Pete.I'm okay.And gimme a beer out woodja?I'm goin to rehab now."

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite

Forum Member

Lightbulb

We use a Stihl chainsaw with a vent guide and chain protector. We use a sling on a caribeener and attached to a ladder belt. Some guys will start it on the ground and put the chain lock on so its running and the chain is not so you dont have to start it on the ground and pretty safe operation I guess.

Thread Information