Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

1. Straddling the ridge on modern houses can be a big mistake - in houses with ridge vents, all the heat is escaping right between your legs.

2. Everybody keeps talking about "venting from the aerial" - I hear firefighters talking about this all the time. WHO does this - bucket or stick? It seems that this is highly inefficient and in many cases, nearly impossible. In my opinion, the aerial is a tool to get to the roof, no different than a ground ladder. Once on the roof, make your cut, with or without the assistance of a roof ladder, and get down. So:

**Who vents FROM the aerial device, and who simply uses it as a means to access the roof? IF you actually perform the cut from the aerial, please provide details on what specific situations you would use this tactic in, as well as exactly how you would perform it.**

Bucket. Stand on the small working deck outside the bucket, clip onto the bucket railing for safety. Lean over. Cut. Never have to put your weight on a roof. If the roof collapses, so what, you are on the bucket. Make a cut, move the bucket to the side a little, finish the cut. All this can be done from a ladder as well, although there is a little more effort and maneuvering involved. Inefficient? It may be faster and possibly easier to cut a roof while actually standing on it, but it's way safer to not be standing on it.

Currently, in my town, we cut more roofs via roof ladders than from aerials, but both are still options.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    Hmmm...I just can't help looking at my tag. Get a line in place first and foremost......and then open up the louvers, and soffits . Getting the first line in place will SOLVE most is not all of your problems. Keep the fire from getting any bigger than it was when you got there. And if the fire does get bigger....most likely the fire itself will make a nice hole in the roof for you. Then all that smoke and steam will just lift out that hole when you open up.

Um, isn't the point of vertical ventilation to KEEP the gases and smoke from extending further into the building? If you just wait until it's burned through the roof instead of venting, you're likely going to have it extended through all the walls in ADDITION to the ceiling...

Thread Information