Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Airmation exhaust capture system

Anyone like these things? We are getting them installed in our station, and I am trying to get a sense of how well they work. We average about 10 runs a day. How long would filters last in that situation? Is there any exposure to exhaust if you are in close proximity to the truck? I just can't see how they will work as well as the hose attachment variety.
    First in, Last out...

Forum Member

We got em, they dont work too good.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Should have gotten Plymovent.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Some Guy

Please add to the reasons why you don't like them. We are building a new HQ and it looks like these are going up.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Why dont I like em? Well, we run a ladder, engine and medic unit from our station. Thats over 12000 runs. Our station is full of that black diesel soot. It didnt get any better after the installation of 3 of their "scrubbers". They are noisy and when it comes down to it, the City chose them. Whatever the City of Philadelphia likes, is guaranteed not to work. Our union found cheaper direct exhaust systems but the city refused, imagine that!
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman
    Please add to the reasons why you don't like them. We are building a new HQ and it looks like these are going up.
    We chose plymovent as it's direct capture and the diesel fumes, soot etc..never have a chance to make it into the appratus floor. We don't have to leave a door open anymore to vent the building, whic saves heating costs etc..
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Question

We got them. Cannot say much about how well they work. We have eight in one station and you need hearing protection when they are on. The other two stations have two each. I know that after they were in-service for less than two months we found the change filter lights on. I just wonder what the concept is when CO stays close to the ground.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Some Guy

Do they all turn on at the same time? I thought it was a motion sensor that set them off. Are they really that loud?
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman
    Do they all turn on at the same time? I thought it was a motion sensor that set them off. Are they really that loud?
    Photo electric sensor on each side of the bay. Once the beam is broken all are turned on. Sounds like a jet engine running. Hope that the units have all the dispatch information before the sensors are tripped. (BTW...birds flying in the bay will also cause them to activate if they break the beam, and we know how much poisionous gas birds release )
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Default Airmation Exhaust Removal System

After having the hoses snap off quite regularly in one department I worked in, we switched to Airmation. No more hose-rips, and no more face fulla diesel, when I gotta jump off the rig, and put the hose on after a call. We got 14 ft ceilings, so the scrubbers are pretty close to the floor, everyone likes 'em.

They can be noisy, but I don't hear them when I'm on Call. Never smell diesel anymore either. Have any of you guys called customer service to resolve your issues? Aren't they under warranty?

This department I'm at now, a hose rips off every one or two weeks. We're looking at Airmation.

Default Hoses

I used to work at a station that had the Airmation air cleaners and I liked them. They were easy and you didn't have to worry about the hoses. No I work at a company that has hoses and I hate it. You have to attach the hose, then you have to remember to disconnect it before you pull out. Then when you come back you have to reconnect it again. When I worked for the company that had the airmation cleaners it was all automatic and I never smelled the diesel. I wish we would get them here!

Not sure what system the above posters have, we use Plymovent and don't have to worry about disconnecting anything. They disconnect themself as we are pulling out. Yes, a member has to stick on the end of the exhaust pipe when returning, which is done as the truck crosses the threshold. Very simple.

Department near me has the overhead air filter systems, not sure if they are Airmation. We ran some test with our CO meters when evaluating systems. As the trucks pulled in, CO readings rose, then the systems turned on and ran for about 15 minutes. CO readings went back down to "0" after about 10 minutes of operation. With our Plymo's, CO meter stays at "0".

and No....I'm not a salesman posing as a poster digging up 2 year old threads.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually this is a great thread as we wrote a grant that included exhaust removal and we were hinging on the Airmation or the Air Vac 911. Any others out there please chime in as to do a hose install in our building is kind of hard to do properly.

Forum Member

I've never heard of the hoses ripping on the plymovents. They are pretty popular in my area and I've never heard anyone complain about them.

Forum Member

We've had decent luck with airmation scrubbers. They are wired to activate when the door opens, so it is a good idea to trip the door when going to the apparatus.

The biggest threat in diesel fuel exhaust are sulfur based compounds. You can have the system activate off of those sensors - we just liked the wired to the door method.

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Our company uses Airmation and they work fine for us. We don't run that many calls per year as it is so we don't need anything too big.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Thread Information