Forum Member

Default Why do you want to be a firefighter?

To all the people who are already on a department, or those who are trying, why do you want to be a firefighter?

MembersZone Subscriber

First off, I think the number 1 reason anyone is a firefighter is to help others in our community. Secondly the deep sense of Brotherhood and Tradition, we are the biggest family in the world. We even have the same fights as every other family has. Thirdly the experience and the training you receive is one of a kind. You can either make or break your career, paid or volunteer, with your attitude. And I would have to say for me the job satisfaction is a big thing because as with anything else if you don't like what you are doing you won't like yourself.

Forum Member

My father has been a firefighter for 27 years, so the tradition is definitely there. I also enjoy helping people, especially the children. Our finest hour, preventing fires and tragedy from happening. Theres nothing quite like educating children on the importance of fire safety.

I remember working the fire safety house a few summers back, i was appaulled at how many kids thought you were supposed to "stop drop and roll" when you heard your smoke detector go off in the middle of the night.

Forum Member

Default Why do you ask?

Are you asking to try and formulate your answer to this question for an oral board?

Forum Member

Because office jobs suck.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Capt,
    no, I was just curious to see what everybody was in it for. similarities, viewpoints, favorite aspects, that kind of thing...

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I became a FF for the simple reasons of helping others and for the love of never knowing what your next call will bring. There is also the gratitude you can get from helping someone in their worst moment and actually make a difference. I wasn't brought up with a fire back ground some buddies I had got me into it and it is the greatest choice I have ever made. I am a vollie right now with expectations of becoming career.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question:
    Why do you want to be a firefighter?
    Years ago, when I was researching potential career choices, I learned that the father of one of my friends was a firefighter. As I quizzed him about his job, I was struck by how much he loved what he was doing. It was rare to find someone who truly enjoys what he does.

The more I researched the fire service, the more convinced I became that it was the right choice for me. Since then I have visited many fire stations and have gone on several ride-alongs. The reasons I want to become a firefighter are numerous.

They include the following:
    I enjoy helping people. It gives me great pleasure and it would be very fulfilling to have a profession in which I was able to help people every day. I would like to be part of a team that solves problems in the community. Whether it is a fire, flood, hazardous material spill, or medical emergency, it feels good to know that citizens can rely on the fire department to help solve their problems.

Being a role model in the community is also important to me. I know children look up to firefighters and I feel we have an obligation to be there for them. I realize the importance of having a smile on my face and being respectful at all times. I also know that firefighters volunteer their time to promote good will within the community. I feel this is a vital part of a firefighterís job.

What also appeals to me is the camaraderie that develops in the fire station. Living and working together for 24-hours at a time allows firefighters to develop some incredibly strong bonds.

I like the challenges that a day at the fire station can bring. Even though our on-duty days are planned out, plans can be interrupted at a momentís notice for an emergency response. Since I am a problem solver, I would thrive on contributing my problem solving skills to the team. But I know if Iím having difficulty solving a problem, I would be able to rely on the other crewmembers to come up with a solution.

The amount of shared knowledge among firefighters is tremendous. I know being a firefighter will provide many opportunities for learning. There is a tremendous amount of information that a firefighter must learn in order to become competent in his or her job. It would be up to me to set a goal and study hard to achieve that goal. Once I have mastered the roles and responsibilities of a firefighter, I know that I will have many opportunities to test for more challenging roles such as paramedic, engineer, lieutenant or captain.

I like working with my hands. I know the fire service uses a myriad of specialized power, hydraulic and hand tools. I know the community will always need firefighters. It is comforting to know that firefighters rarely get laid off.
    I like the benefits package offered by the fire department. I currently have to pay for healthcare benefits out of my own pocket. I know that healthcare and retirement benefits are part of the fire departmentís employment benefits package.

The fire department pays good salaries, which will help me provide for my family. The fire departmentís flexible schedule would allow me to continue my education and also frees up more time for family activities such as coaching my daughterís soccer team.

I like fighting fire. It is exciting and challenging to arrive on scene and perform hose lays, throw ladders, and rescue people. What a great sense of accomplishment that would be. Since I am interested in medical calls, I would enjoy being an EMT. If the opportunity ever came up, I would like to consider being a paramedic.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information