Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Hi I'm new here

Forum Member

Default Hi I'm new here

Hi my name is Tom and I'm new here. I am interested in becoming a firefighter and this seems like a great place to find out how to go about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

this a great place to asked questions. are you looking for full time or vol.?
    what sparked the intress in beeing a firefighter?

I have been a vol. firefighter for nine years and was an emt-b for seven of those nine. I am also a opean water diver for the past five years. I am currently trying to go full time.

to answer your other question about how to go about getting on. well if you want to go full time: then just keep looking a the web sites of different departments. and get into the best shape of your life. with a vol. department go up to the fire hall and ask for a app. Or if you got the time and money you can go to a college and get your fire science degree. it will help you down the road with a full time department. not so much with a vol.

I hope that this helps you and fill free to ask any ? that you have.

Forum Member

Well im graduating high school in June, I am looking to go full time eventually.. maybe start off as a volunteer. I am interested in being a firefighter because of the satisfaction of the job.. and also I couldn't handle a desk job or something like that for the rest of my life.

Is it a good idea to take both paramedic and firefighting courses, I have read that it opens up more job opportunities for you by doing so.

Welcome from New Jersey Tom and good luck.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

MembersZone Subscriber

tom,
    ya, it's a great idea to take both. but I would say first just starte with your FF and you EMT-B. I would get them and get a year under your belt and get a good feel for the way/life of a FF is like. now full time is not quit like vol. but it will give you the feeling of going into a fire. and the EMT part. It's not for everyone. not saying it's not for you but you realy never know intile you get into the real thing tile you know. in my EMT class we had 36 people. that was nine years ago. their are only 15 left. in my FF class their was 21 and 17 of them are still in the service. you see a lot of different stuff. now please don't take this as somthing to scare you off. we need good men and women in the fire service and the EMT part too. that is why I say start off with the vol. and see if you like it. plus it gets you a lot of good experience with little or no coast to you. now like I saide full time id different then vol. I cann't say how the full time is. (I'm only a vol. but I am trying to go full time now.)

I hope that I helped and not affended you. it any mor ? please fell free to ask.

Thread Information