29 34.94%
  • Masters

8 9.64%
  • Batchlor or Associates related to Fire/EMS

12 14.46%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Career firefighters, what is your educational backround?

Carrer firefighters, what is your educational backround?

I ask because I am a freshman at a small liberal arts college in OH, and up until this year had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I knew it would probably be something in either military/LE/EMS/Fire but I wasnt shure which direction I wanted to take my life.

Fast forward to today, I got started being a first responder as a part of the on campus EMS program, we basically volunteer to take care of the really drunk kids that security finds. My instructor for the FR course is a full time capt for the volunteer dept just out of town, and ive had a few chances to ride along on EMS calls and I LOVED IT! I know without a doubt Fire/EMS is something that I want to do. Im hoping to start volunteering with them next year after I complete my EMT-B this summer.

If I could imagine a dream job it would be a FF/paramedic, from the nature of the work, to the scedule, it seems like a perfect fit for me. But what is the best way to achive that? Stick with this current school and get a degree unrelated to firefighting/EMS(probably PoliSci or Econ) while volunteering and getting fire certs and experience? Transfer somewhere else to get a Fire science degree?

I wanted to get a sense of what most carrer firefighters had as far as education and what would help me the most as far as getting hired with a full time dept.

Thanks for the advice!

Forum Member

Bachelor's degree...starting on Masters this fall.

Forum Member

I had my bachelor's degree when I was hired full-time and have since earned my master's degree. In many cases, the type of degree doesn't matter. What matters is how you do on the test.

Here is my advice. The City of Columbus will start accepting applications next month for the next firefighter exam. Columbus is the largest city in Ohio and can give you the combination of fire and ems activity you are looking for. You can apply online at:

http://www.csc.columbus.gov/

Why should you apply even though you are still in college? First of all, for the experience. The more exams you take, the better you do. Second, this will be the list for the next several years. You will probably finish college before this list expires. If you would be lucky enough to score high on the list, then you would have to make a decision. Until then, keep up your work in the classroom and your volunteer EMS unit.

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Red face Congratulation's!

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31
    Bachelor's degree...starting on Masters this fall.

You are the first one to spell "Batchelor" correctly!! Go to the top of the class.

The poll list got it wrong-repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    You are the first one to spell "Batchelor" correctly!! Go to the top of the class.

That is funny.

I have HS with some college. I was hired at a time when the fire service didn't attract a lot of college grads. But our latest entering classes seem to have a lot of college graduates. Some with graduate degrees.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Started full time in 1985 with some college credits. Earned my Associates in Fire Technology and Administration in 1992. Currently working on my Bachelor's degree through Charter Oak State College. Planning to graduate next June.

I have noticed a trend over the last few years of more recruits at the state fire academy already having college degrees.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom

Ohhh... give him a break... the pollster is from a "liberal arts college"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire
    Ohhh... give him a break... the pollster is from a "liberal arts college"
    LOL thanks

I posted that at about 1 taking a break from doing research...

I have to say, give a degree as soon as you can. FF1, FF2, etc...All that stuff can come at a later date. Get the degree BEFORE life starts to kick in- car payments, credit cards, children, mortgage, etc...

BTW- I could only check "Associates"

I think the reason we see more recruits with a college degree is because, in some places, the associate or bachelor's degree has become the new high school diploma. In years before my time, the high school diploma was proof that a person had a basic and well-rounded education. Although schools seem to be increasing the amount of learning that takes place in the classroom, the high school diploma doesn't appear to carry the weight it once did. The new benchmark is a college degree.

With all of that said, a degree is just a piece of paper. The important thing is the education that comes with it. Unfortunately, lots of people graduate with a degree of one type or the other without learning much at all.

As for me, I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Mass Communication.

I joined the Marine Reserve out of HS to help pay for college and get experience before going to OCS. Spent 2 years at a large university, trying to find my way, and caught the firefighter bug from my Reserve squad leader and some others. Switched to community college for EMT-Basic and Fire Science, and started taking tests. Took 2 years to get hired. Finished the associates' degree in 1993 with 104 credit hours

Enter children.

Am finally looking into finishing the bachelor's-just trying to find the program that will carry over the most credits.

I have only HS......being that I possess common sense....no college would take me......
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Bachelor's Degree in Telecommunications Management.

Forum Member

I did not realize so many had bachelor's degrees in the fire service. Locally I do not know of any, though I do not get around that much either. Around here it is more of a "good ole boy" system where you start in the fire service during high school in a vo-tech program then work as a "seasonal" (no benefits low pay kind of second rate fireman) until they pick you up permanent.

As for me I just received my AS after 8 years of college in fire technology
    I am also an ASE master medium/heavy truck technician which is what I do when I am not running calls mostly

Birken

I have an Ivy League PhD in something utterly unrelated to fire science. I would gladly trade it to have started the job 10 years sooner. Nobody told me growing up that this is the best job in the world. I stumbled on it by accident and got hooked.

Getting a firefighter job is like winning the lottery. I'm with HM604OH. Take all the tests you can starting ASAP. If you have the time and money, go to Phoenix, Charlotte, and any good place that lets out-of-towners take tests.

Start your paramedic if you can. That cert. will get you further toward getting a fire service job than any college degree. Learn Spanish, if you aren't already. If you get a good ff job offer, I suggest you drop everything to take it. You can always finish college during or after you retire.

Forum Member

"Start your paramedic if you can. That cert. will get you further toward getting a fire service job than any college degree. Learn Spanish, if you aren't already. If you get a good ff job offer, I suggest you drop everything to take it. You can always finish college during or after you retire."

I disagree. Look at all of the BAs represented in this forum (including the author of the quote above). If you want to be a paramedic, plan go to medic school as part of your journey to get the badge. The paramedics who get hired on at my dept. (1 for every 2 college grads in the last 5 years) are the ones who complain when they finish probation and are assigned to a Rescue. Sorry, but you brought a resume to the fire chief that said "paramedic" on it, so that's what you're gonna be.

Medic school will take 1 year out of your life - give or take - whereas your bachelor's degree will take a MINIMUM of 4 years. It is much more difficult to dig up 4 years later in life when you've got a job, a family, and a mortgage. My advice is to stay in the BA program if you're already there. You can begin looking into your local Fire Tech. programs, and start taking classes to begin your journey - and it will be a journey.

When I decided to become a firefighter, I stuck out my college degree, taking my EMT and preparing for Fire Tech. classes. After I finished the Fire Academy, I gave myself a time frame for when I would apply to medic school, based on my family's needs. I got hired before I had to go.

Additionally, any experience in the military or the trades (using tools and mechanical abilities) will be invaluable in not only obtaining the job, but being very successful at it.

Chris
    Professional Firefighter
    Chris
    Professional Firefighter

Forum Member

Allow me to clarify a bit.

Learning Spanish is definitely an asset (as well as being a necessary part of successfully completing my BA).

If you do get a career firefighter job offer, take it.

Chris
    Professional Firefighter
    Chris
    Professional Firefighter

Forum Member

As for now I think I am going to stick with my current college and current degree. I think having an education to back me up incase of injury or help me make more money on the side is a good thing. It is very frustrating learning things that might not have anything to do with your carrer, but I think transfering somewhere else for fire science would be counterproductive.

I am going to get my EMT cert over summer break and I have established some contacts with local volunteer departments, and I think that will alow me to feed the bug and keep my happy till I can do this as a carrer. I also think the training and real life experience will be extremely valuable. Although I am a full time student I should be able to have time to get certified all the way to fire 2 by the time I graduate.

I will apply to some of the departments that I would like to work for in the mean time. It wont hurt to get my name out there and get experience taking the tests. If I do get hired ill probably drop out and take it while I can, most likely to the great dismay of my parents, they are really pushing for at least a Bachelors. Until then ill continue with school and volunteering.

Any comments and suggestions would be great! Thanks for all the advice so far!

Just HS, and ALOT of fire service classes. If I put them all together I probably have enough credits for a BA, minus the other non-fire classes you need. Dont have time or money for thoese now, maybe when the kids are grown and out of the nest.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Education

I have my B.S. in Mathematics and then went on and got my Masters in Education. I have also taken a number of fire related classes over the years. I think that education is very important to the profession these days. In my experience it is not always how much fire experience you have but more of how educated you are and willing and able to learn what "THEY WANT YOU TO KNOW".
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Thread Information