MembersZone Subscriber

Default looking for Swiftwater rescue

hey does anyone know where I can take a swiftwater rescue ops and tech class relatively close to, or in Missouri? And one that is recognized by the state for certification?

Forum Member

Good question, if you find anything PM me.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by loumedic
    hey does anyone know where I can take a swiftwater rescue ops and tech class relatively close to, or in Missouri? And one that is recognized by the state for certification?
    Keep your eye on MUFRTI's website, they post several classes during the year. I'll try to keep my eyes open, as well. They used to (don't know if they still do) have some kind of water rescue symposium or something of like like up by St. Louis. Haven't seen anything on it in a while. They also have one near Branson fairly regularly, and once in a while at MSSU in Joplin. I'll post if I see anything.

Are you looking for "State" certification as in the Division of Fire Safety? If so, you might have some problems. As far as I know the DFS doesn't have everything in line for water rescue quite yet. They're working on it, but last I knew they weren't quite ready.

MembersZone Subscriber

Swiftwater/Flood Rescue: Technician

When: May 7-9, 2006

Prerequisites: Rope Rescue: Technician

Where: Six Flags, St. Louis

Fee: $395

Schedule
    Sunday, May 7 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    Monday, May 8 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (2 hr break for dinner)
    Tuesday, May 9 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

This course is designed to prepare emergency response personnel to perform rescue operations in moving water emergencies. Topics include pre-planning, personal protective equipment, search parameters, incident action plans, surface rescue techniques, advanced rope systems, and use of watercraft and helicopters in water rescue operations. Students will participate in moving water exercises to demonstrate proficiency in appropriate skills. An evening search exercise is also part of this demanding program. This course meets Chapter 9, Technician Level, of NFPA 1670 Standard Operations and Training for Technical Rescue Incidents, as well as, Chapter 7, Surface Water Rescue, of NFPA 1006, Rescue Technician Professional Qualifications. (EMS CEUs-Non Core-28)

Special requirements: Students will need a full wet suit/surface dry suit, tennis shoes/ booties, a lightweight rescue-type/whitewater-type helmet, lightweight leather or ski gloves, a personal flotation device, and flashlight.

Special Note: Participants will be required to participate in a night drill on the second day of class (May 8)

For a complete flyer and registration, select the following link: http://www.mufrti.org/pdf/SwiftwaterTech_CR6242.pdf

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Catch, not sure I'll be able to make this one but I'll keep an eye out on MUFRTI's website.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Thread Information