Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Eminent domain ABUSE BS!!!!!

I just saw something on fox news about "hollywood" using the eminent domain laws so they can build a $300.00 a night hotel. It seems the hotel company didnt get what they wanted and went whining to the city. What a load of horse crap.

I was just wondering what kind of domain abuse has occured in your area. I personaly knew someone who worked in downtown KCMO and their business was forced out by the city so KCSTAR could build their "eyesore" printing press building. The funny thing is that the editor of the paper a few years earlier ran an article CONDEMING the exact act that they were guilty of. Eminent domain abuse. Someone needs to put a stop to it. Someday they might want to build a grocery store where your house is, if it doesnt stop now, it will get worse.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

In a nutshell...

The Seattle Monorail Project purchased property from the owners - often under threat of "Eminent Domain" (which would be buying the property at less than what the owners wanted...).

The project was cancelled by the voters, in part because after beaucoup money in, there was nothing to show for it.

Did the Project turn around and sell the properties back to the owners for what it paid?

HELL NO!

The Project put the properties up for auction to the highest bidder, in order to make a profit...

What a rip-off!

(One person's story below...)
    http://www.komotv.com/news/story.asp?ID=42400
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

I bet it if someone would make a website, you could start a class action law-suit against those who let this happen. The local and sometimes state government.

The best thing would be to put all your effor into becoming very powerful in your state/local government then using your political power evict the developers who abuse eminent domain, then if they want to but the property back, sell it to them 3 times what they paid. If I won the lottery, I would spend every dime putting these developers out on the street with their victims and those who they have hurt! !!
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

here is the link to the contacts for the seattle company that should be charged with robbery.

http://www.monorailproperty.com/contact.htm
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

How is that not illegal?
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Because when the property owner sold, their attorney didn't include a right-of-first-refusal in the deed?

Do some searching on Long Branch, NJ. Eminent Domain abuse is rampant.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

In my county a 100 year old family farm was taken to make way for a costco and super target. The elderly couple had both died within 2 months of being forced out. It broke their spirits. I refuse to shop at that complex.

Forum Member

Default rights

Gee what ever happened to,"a government of the people, by the people and for the people". And he said," thou shall worship the almighty dollar and corporate profits shall rule and the rich shall get richer while the poor can go to he**".

This is part of the reason why I am restricting states that I will live in after I graduate. Eminent domain for street widening, new schools, and actual public good are good things (albeit hard for families) but to build a strip mall because you can get more tax dollars is WRONG!

My favorite backlash though is a state college in Mass. that wanted to take a whole bunch of single family homes for college dorms to be built in their place. Everyone sold out but one couple. They refused, went to court, WON and the state had to redesign the whole complex because of where there house was located in the plan. The house still sits out in the middle of this group of college dorms.

I love it 1) because it was a thumb in the eye to Massachusetts, and 2) because eminent domain is too abused in many situations.

Often times owners are underpaid tremendously for the value of their property. The SCOTUS decision was dead wrong and is just another abuse of government power.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    Gee what ever happened to,"a government of the people, by the people and for the people". And he said," thou shall worship the almighty dollar and corporate profits shall rule and the rich shall get richer while the poor can go to he**".

Thats what happens when the Supreme Court is loaded with justices from Republican presidents. And who contributes more money then anyone to the Republican party? Right, big business.

And keep an eye on you individual freedoms, they will be comming after thoese as well.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

heck mikey, i think that kc star building is kinda neat looking. that just viewing it driving by on 70 though.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Thats what happens when the Supreme Court is loaded with justices from Republican presidents. And who contributes more money then anyone to the Republican party? Right, big business.

And keep an eye on you individual freedoms, they will be comming after thoese as well.
    Dave, you're way off here. Some of the strongest reaction AGAINST the court's ruling has come from conservatives. Many of the so-called red state's legislatures have already or are in the process of enacting legislation to limit eminent domain powers to prevent abuses. In my state, the concern among local officials is that the legislation will go too far an imperil projects that do have an overwhelming public interest.

Just look at the examples listed in this thread. They aren't happening in republican areas, they're happening in places dominated by democratic leaning governments (Seattle, NJ, California).

Furthermore, according to the Castle Coalition , there are 13 bills in congress to limit the use of eminent domain powers. The castle coalition doesn't list the author by party, but I looked them up. Of the 13 bills, 10 are authored by Republicans. The ability of government to come in and take your property goes against the very fabric of what makes us conservatives tick.

Finally, to hang the Kelo decision on the court's conservatives is totally and completely without basis in fact. The vote was 5-4, with the dissenters being O'Connor (who authored the dissent), Rehnquist, Scalia, and Thomas. No, blame for Kelo lies at the feet of the Clinton appointees and their comrade-in-arms David Souter.

Forum Member

The 100 year old buildings that were still in pristine condition looked much better.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983

Do you think the Democrats are any better? Every politician is in teh pocket of the same people. The same people that give money to the Republicans give it to the Dems. It is all about covering their bases.

As for the Republicans being blamed, EFD has taken care of that.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    How is that not illegal?
    The Supreme Court said it was legal, that is how.

Eminent Domain has its place, but it should be kept a local thing. If the PEOPLE of Hollywood are in favor of this, and it is going to improve the community, not just the developers pockets, then it should go through. The current owners of the likely blighted property should not be entitled whatever their price is, they are entitled to the fair market value and possibly a little more for thier troubles, but they should not be able to hold a city's redevelopment and renewal hostage to any outlandish demands.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 04-04-2006 at 04:07 PM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information