Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seated postions

Forum Member

Default Seated postions

What is the definition of a seated position? Is it merely the number of firefighters that can ride in a vehicle and if so what vehicles are included in this calculation? Are brush/utility vehicles included and also are rescue vehicles (carries some firefighting equipment) included? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as we are finishing our grant. Thanks.

Forum Member

I, too, need to know the answer to this. I'm working on a grant for portable and mobile radios.

Is there a standard for how many portable radios should be on an apparatus? I know the AFG will not fund for more radios than the seated positions. Of course, these radios won't stay on the apparatus but will be issued to individual members.

Forum Member

Default My understanding of it

The standard for SCBA's is one Scba for every riding position less the driver-right out of Prg. Guid.

With regards to radios; again it's one portable radio per riding position for your FRONT LINE Apparatus. If you read the Prg Guid it defines what they consider front line.
    Include in your grant app. a vehicle/bank charger for ea. apparatus, battery, spare, and/or speaker mic.

Also check out the Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ's) at www.firegrantsupport.com
    If your thinkin it, someone has probably asked it.

Hope that helped

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181
    The standard for SCBA's is one Scba for every riding position less the driver-right out of Prg. Guid.
    Can you provide a page number from the Program Guidance? Page 21 says "We will limit funding for SCBAs to the number of seated positions based on the applicant's firefighting vehicle fleet unless otherwise justified in the narrative." I can't find anything about "less the driver". Portable radios have the same limit on Page 19, but still nothing mentioned about the driver. Is it somewhere else and I missed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief310
    Can you provide a page number from the Program Guidance? Page 21 says "We will limit funding for SCBAs to the number of seated positions based on the applicant's firefighting vehicle fleet unless otherwise justified in the narrative." I can't find anything about "less the driver". Portable radios have the same limit on Page 19, but still nothing mentioned about the driver. Is it somewhere else and I missed it?
    I've always understood the seated postions were based upon the number of seatbelts in a vehicle. I just ran a word search in the PG for the words "seated" "seated postions" and "driver" and didn't find anything about less a drivers position....I could be wrong though....

Also, the PG says to use the vehciles based on the fleet you identified in the application to determine seated positions, not nessesarily first due.
    Last edited by ameryfd; 03-30-2006 at 12:14 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default seated positions

Amery - u r right - when drafting my application, i made sure the requested number of units tied back to the number of seats in vehicles listed - AS PER INSTRUCTIONS IN PG. While the reviewers may not know specifics of a dept.'s fleet, they will have a range in mind based on what you tell them as far as vehicle numbers and types. Any significant deviation from the range ( = or -) they come up with will get the application rejected.

good luck!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber evfd3100's Avatar

Logically you wouldn't really count the driver's seat for SCBA anyways, since I doubt your apparatus has a spot for one there. Now, I could see counting the drivers seat for a portable radio if you are doing a grant for radios. In reality, they don't know how many true seats you have on your apparatus so....
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

Quote Originally Posted by evfd3100
    Logically you wouldn't really count the driver's seat for SCBA anyways, since I doubt your apparatus has a spot for one there. Now, ..
    Not always so, we have a heavy rescue/personell carrier in which the driver is more than able to pack up. Also, our engine drivers also need the availability to have a pack as well........ even if they are running the pump you need to be prepared for wind shifts, extenuating circumstances ect... Both our engines and our platform arial have storage/mounting space for drivers scba.

Forum Member

Why would you not count the drivers's seat for SCBA? It's conceiveable, and at least around here quite common, that the truck could be parked (yes, even an engine if a water supply has been established) and the driver used for firefighting manpower. Also, if at a hazmat incident and the wind shifts forcing the movement of the truck, an emergency SCBA should be available for the driver.

Our situation is that we run mostly commercial 2 door cabs with manpower going buy POV. We have been able to justify 4 SCBA, even though there are not that many seated positions because the manpower is meeting the truck at the scene. According to what I have read that's acceptable as it's according to our SOPs and that's how we were iunstructed at a workshop to justify it in the narrative.

Forum Member

I wanna say it was presented in the workshop....question came up and/or mentioned by FPS?

And as to the issue of the driver/operator packing up...it all depends on the dept.
    I know depts where the engineer NEVER leaves the vehicle, and some where the engineer is 2nd on hoseline

I will have to go back and look through my notes

Forum Member

"Seated positions" includes driver, our drivers SCBA is in the first compartment on the driver side. We have two units with 6 man cabs and were funded for 12 SCBA. Look at the bigger picture, ever had to don a SCBA as the pump operator? We have! That's why we have a SCBA for the driver now. Are you going to leave the pump operator unprotected? The driver should also be wearing turn out gear. Some do, some don't. It's a safety thing and that is what the AFG is all about! The driver is not going to mask up enroute to the call, and probably not going inside for attack, but he needs protection if the sh** hits the fan! Other examples include hazmat calls, chemical fires. I've seen pump operators on the ground trying to get fresh air, because the smoke is so heavy they can't see the pump panel or breath.

Forum Member

put in the total including the driver.
    I did last year and we were funded.
    In MOST departments there are more than the number of riders responding. Ex... POV's.

A single cab with bench seat is "3 seated positions".

Thread Information