Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Speeding Ticket - Couple of questions.....

I was on my way to see my girlfriend tonight for an hour and also get the spare keys to my apartment that she has (I locked mine in my apt. today and it was all locked down. DOH!)

Anyway, I live in Jersey, and on my way out to Long Island, NY where she lives, I got ticketed for 78 in a 50. I'm not about to start a cop bashing thread. I was speeding, definately doing in the neighborhood of 78, and he caught me. End of story. I'm not going to try and blame him and say hes stupid or whatever. Fair is fair. But two questions:

I don't know NY driving laws. In New Jersey we have a point system. You are awarded points for infringements. The back of the ticket states I owe a fine of 90 dollars and a surcharge of 50 for my penalty (11-30 over limit) but it does not state anything about points. I called an NYPD friend of mine and he said if I was a NY driver, it would be 8 points but he didn't know how it transfered over that I'm a NJ driver. Anyone with no-how on this?

Secondly, I just noticed now that on the bottom of the ticket, there is a section that states:

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I acknowledge receipt of this summons. I understand it is my responsibility to read and comply with the instructions on my copy, and that my signature is not an admission of guilt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have always heard that in certain situations, if some of the major parts of a ticket are not filled out or filled out incorrectly, the ticket is absolved as a technicality. I wouldn't mind that happening here. Was I supposed to sign this when he gave it to me. It is a carbon copy, so the ticket he has also doesn't have my signature.

Any help you guys and gals could offer would be wonderful.... No need to tell me to slow down, I know

Forum Member

Not to worry.

Your signature will probably be on the original by the time it's processed.

Forum Member

Seriously though the only ticket I ever got was for 74 in a 50 on
    Staten Island.

At the time I was a Jersey resident and I never heard a thing from
    NJ DMV about points.

That was a few years back, though. 1985 or 86.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LEWTFL
    Seriously though the only ticket I ever got was for 74 in a 50 on
    Staten Island.

At the time I was a Jersey resident and I never heard a thing from
    NJ DMV about points.

That was a few years back, though. 1985 or 86.

So then your advise is to just pay the ticket and hope it somehow "gets lost in the system" point-wise?

Forum Member

Pay or not is up to you.

If you feel you can beat it on a technicality you may want to consult a lawyer.

Pretty stiff fines out there, huh? Queens?

Forum Member

On the belt right before the Bay Parkway. He was sitting sideways right behind a tree line and I wizzed past and no one else was around. I saw him pull out and pulled over before he even got on the road. Had I not matured a bunch in the past year or two, I definately would have given her a little more throttle and jumped off onto the Bay Pkwy and probably been off scott free. But, you know, growing up is hard to do and the last thing I want to do is jeopardize becoming a career FF. Yea, they want 150 for the 28 over and the if the points kick in here in NJ, my insurance will kick up nice and high, so who knows what the overall payout will be just for 28 more miles per hour of fun. Definately won't be worth it though.

I don't know anything about points...we don't use them here. What I can tell you is that you were lucky you weren't here. You lose your liscense for 30 days and have to complete remedial driver training for speeding violations for more than 20 mph over the posted speed limit.

I believe in almost all jurisdictions, you can fight a speeding ticket on a technicallity, but unless you are facing losing your liscense, or your job is dependant on the violation...the costs associated with fighting it are going to be astronomically higher than if you just paid the $140 and moved on.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

That's cheap. I got one in PA about 15 years ago. 65 in a 55. THAT was expensive. And no points carried over to NJ.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I know in NJ we never used to get points for out of state tickets. I imagine that was because the various state-DMV's didn't communicate very well. You'd still get the fine, but no points/insurance.

I've heard that they recently started processing out of state tickets, though it takes a month or two before it shows up.

From NJ-DMV:
    The National Driver License Compact
    *exchanges violation information with other states* and the District of Columbia,
    *ensures that out -of -state violations become part of your NJ driving record. Two points are assessed for each moving violation.
    *Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin are not members.

Also From Speeding Ticket Lawer FAQ:
    For out-of-state drivers, there is no simple answer. New York State reports some moving violations to the "Drivers License Compact", and this can affect insurance rates in your home state. This is inconsistent. In some cases the home state never finds out. We have seen cases where they do, especially speeding tickets showing up on New Jersey records.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Also check out NJ Speeding Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by TrentonFF
    So then your advise is to just pay the ticket and hope it somehow "gets lost in the system" point-wise?
    As a general rule, I would plead innocent, go to court, see if the prosecutor will knock it down a level.

I got tagged doing 89 in a 65 on the NYS throughway (after a really bad weekend) I pled guilty, paid the fine, and it haunted me for EMS jobs for years after.

try and get it knocked down, if you want, consult an attorney about the missing signiture.

oh, and the max # of points you will get on your NJ liscence will be 2
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Quote Originally Posted by TrentonFF
    Secondly, I just noticed now that on the bottom of the ticket, there is a section that states:

Quote:

I acknowledge receipt of this summons. I understand it is my responsibility to read and comply with the instructions on my copy, and that my signature is not an admission of guilt

I have always heard that in certain situations, if some of the major parts of a ticket are not filled out or filled out incorrectly, the ticket is absolved as a technicality. I wouldn't mind that happening here. Was I supposed to sign this when he gave it to me. It is a carbon copy, so the ticket he has also doesn't have my signature.

Any help you guys and gals could offer would be wonderful.... No need to tell me to slow down, I know
    First off, it is refreshing to see someone say "I did it" for once....

Unless things are very different in NY/NJ, the signature is your bond - you're agreeing to either pay the fine (which equates to a plea of no contest or guilty depending on the state) or appear in court on the specified date. In many states, if you refuse to sign you can be taken into custody.

I don't know if not being asked to sign is a reason for a ticket to be dismissed. If your driving record is clean, don't sweat it. You may see an insurance premium increase but otherwise one ticket isn't a big deal.

Plead not guilty. It sucks, because then you have to make another trip out there, but if you otherwise have a clean driving record, you can meet with the cop beforehand (so get there early) and he may be willing to knock it down, or atleast recommend to the judge that. Usually the judge will go on the cops recommendation.

I was pulled over in Jersey when i was 17 for doing 35 in a 30. I pleaded not guilty, went to court, and the cop said to me, geez, what the hell was I doing? and basically told the judge to throw it out.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

My advice would be to challenge it and be extra, extra, extra nice and polite to the prosecutors, officers and judge. I was in a similar situation as you and got my ticket dismissed.
    My first court apperance the officer did not show up and the judge accepted a motion for continuance. My second court appearance I arrived early and talked to the city attorney between dockets. I explained my situation and the city attorney said she would not seek another continuance if the officer did not show up at my court time on the dot.
    They drew up my dismissal paper early and were even nice enough to have the judge sign it in the middle of another trial, because I had medic class within the hour.
    I know I got lucky, but what it seemed like at the trials I witnessed; the officers showed up at court to cases in which the defandants were belligerent at the scene, and the defendants showed their belligerence in trial. So challenge it and you never may know what will happen. Good Luck!

Also you will not get off on a technicalty on the ticket. The officer marked the wrong ethnicity on my ticket, I consulted a lawyer friend about it and unless the facts of the ticket are grossly misaligned with the truth, you won't have it dismissed.
    Last edited by Peekay; 03-31-2006 at 10:07 AM.

I've got three tickets on my record, the last one was in 2000. I fought the second (and won) because I truly believed the circumstances were extenuating, but I paid the first and third outright because there was no question that I was speeding for no good reason at all.

I guess I am going to break from the majority and question why plead innocent or escape on a technicality. I mean, yes, you can find a loophole to get out of it, you can waste the cop's time by bringing him to court, you can waste taxpayer dollars by being one more file in the court system, etc.

How about personal responsibility? You already admitted you did it. Pay the fine. Experience the consequences. Speak out as often as possible (including online forums like this) about why no one should speed, because of how it impacts [fill in the blank here].

I am troubled when I hear what basically amounts to "yeah I did it but I'm going to try to play it like I didn't do it". You'll be costing lots of other people their time while trying to escape the consequences of your admitted mistake. There are shades of selfish in there.

Maybe I'm just being cranky.
    Last edited by RLFD14; 03-31-2006 at 01:06 PM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

I completely agree with what you're saying. In no way was I trying to pull the "yea i did it but i'm going to try and play it like i didn't". I'm going to pay, absolutely. I was just curious as to whether or not I needed to sign the ticket and if so, would there be a less severe penalty for me to pay for having not signed it.

I'm still young and stupid and continue doing irresponsible things like this, so I will probably continue to pay for it. Already sent in my 140. Now its just a matter of whether the points will be acrued.

I do know what you're saying, and am the same way in that regard. I did it, I'm not going to try and go to court and grovel with 6 different people and beg like a little girl to get my ticket knocked out. Was just asking about the transferance of points and the whole signing thing.

Thanks.

Fair enough.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

That is interesting, so every state has it is own traffic law which makes it hard for drive to adjust with each state law (New Jersey traffic ticket law is different form its neighbor in New York), however I have read somewhere that they are working on new generation of GPS that can show you the speed limit in each street you are driving in (they already show you where are the cams)
    Last edited by newjersey; 07-10-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Thread Information