MembersZone Subscriber

Default psychological evaluation

Hey just wondering about the psych test. Is there any info you guys or gals can give me on what is involved in the test. Just curious and a little nervous. Ive heard the horror stories about people who are perfectly sane and still fail these tests. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are preparing for psychological exams go to the link below.
    Good luck !!!

http://www.fireprep.com/fireman_psyc..._examinat.html

www.fireprep.com
    www.firemanEMTparamedic.com
    1-800-989- FIRE

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the info man! and the quick reply

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Hey I looked at the site. Im not trying to buy anything just looking for some past expertise on what to look forward too. Im not one of those people that have alot to hide so Im not worried about being called psycho because I already know that. Thanks anyway Ill just take my chances!

Forum Member

Default Failed

Im not one of those people that have alot to hide so Im not worried about being called psycho because I already know that. Thanks anyway Ill just take my chances!

I can't tell you how many times I heard that statement and got a call back asking what do I do now. Up to 40% fail.

You have been testing for three, five, or seven years to get a firefighter job. You are finally in the hiring process. Youíve made it through the background check. Then, youíre conditionally offered the job pending the medical which includes a psychological test. You take the test, no big deal right? Then the phone stops ringing. You are out of the process. You are told that you didnít meet the profile. What profile?

What do you mean I didnít meet the profile? Iíve got training, experience, education, every degree, certificate, merit badge, and a paramedic certification. Iíve been a volunteer, paid member of another department for 10 years, and lived and breathed this job. And, I donít meet the profile?
    More agencies are using this test as part of the process.

Unfortunately, Forty percent of candidates are not passing the psyche test! Imagine after all the education, experience and time preparing to get this job . . . and you're eliminated. Then no one will talk to you to find out what happened. I've talked to too many candidates who were devastated and didn't know what to do next. This is a critical part of the testing process you need to prepare for and pass the first time out.

You can get some insight on how the written test is scored here: http://www.bigdeadplace.com/psyche_eval.html

Here is a link to a book with the entire MMPI 2 exam in the appendix and most of the relevant scales.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...glance&n=283155

More on the pscyh here: http://eatstress.com/psych.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Evaluation??????

Received this from a candidate:

During the last hiring process 2 years ago the psychologist passed 10 people. Of those 10, 2 have quit, 2 have been fired, and 1 commited suicide. I wonder if he is worth what the city pays him to evaluate prospects? Have a nice weekend.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

My psych eval wasn't too bad. LOTS of filling in little bubbles. I was cross-eyed and I think I had carpal-tunnel setting in by the time I left 4 hours later. I was given a barage of MMPI type questions. I was also given a quazi-IQ test. There was a short sit down session with a psychologist and he also administered some tests. Example: I'm going to read you a series of numbers, repeate them back to me. Then the same thing except repeat them backwards (that was a real b!tch). Read the words on this card (they got harder as you read). Look at this picture for 10 seconds then re-draw it etc.

I have heard rumblings from another town's psych testing. The guy doing the testing is failing 60+% of candidates. I even heard a police officer failed the psych for this FD.

Evidently, I must be alright because I got the job and start this month!
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

Thread Information