MembersZone Subscriber

because the Cub Cadet Big Country and JD Gator have a lower center of gravity, I would think it would take a lot to roll one. Although they do have lower ground clearance, they are both very capable machines.
    I have had experience with both the big country and the polaris ranger. They both have good and bad points. The big counrty has a 13.4 cu.ft.bed which is much bigger than many of the other competitors. ground clearance is 7.75 inches under the axles. The 6x6 ranger has a 7.2 in clearance
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Just remember the increase in turning radius that is going to come with the 6x6. Nothing like being in the woods and not being able to make a turn.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=hwoods] We were out training a couple of more drivers the other day and I put ours over a course where a jeep could not match the path I took.

must not have been with our dept. then! we used to run a willy's jeep as a brush truck, till they took it out of service b/c none of the other member's liked it b/c it was an old truck, but let me tell you we used to put that truck in places you wouldn't think anything would go, we would even knock over small trees with it, now let me see a gator do that, plus in the several years that they used it ( and i ain't talking about only 10 yrs.) it was only ever stuk once, and that's because the neighboring dept had a brush fire and they said that was where they wanted us to go was right down through a swamp, but other than that, I would never go with a gator, those things are such junk.

Forum Member

Just remember the increase in turning radius that is going to come with the 6x6. Nothing like being in the woods and not being able to make a turn.

That's why Stihl invented the chainsaw

In the woods around here, I'd be hard pressed to find a place a 6x6 wouldn't be easily used...that a full-size pickup chassis or humvee wouldn't even be considered without using saws.
    Last edited by Dalmatian190; 04-08-2006 at 06:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

A Willys Jeep-now that must have been quite the brush vehicle. We ran 2 military surplus Dodge Power Wagons, 1950's vintage, from the early 80's to the mid 90's as brush trucks. These were tough vehicles. I knocked over many small treees and made "roads" where none existed before we arrived. We used to snap rear axles pretty often and even carried an axle change out kit in the trucks.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

trust me it was a heck of a brush truck, a 50 gallon plastic tank, and a little electric motor which would run 2 hoses, one short one that the driver could use ( which would come in handy during daytime hrs. if you was short handed) and a 50' section of garden hose with just a regular garden nozzle on the end, boy did that thing work wonders.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190

That's why Stihl invented the chainsaw

In the woods around here, I'd be hard pressed to find a place a 6x6 wouldn't be easily used...that a full-size pickup chassis or humvee wouldn't even be considered without using saws.
    Then you still got that stump to deal with. My neighbor has a Gator and it is severly underpowered, to the point where I feel like I could outrun it sometimes with a brisk walk. Check out the new Yamaha Rhino, may or may not be what your looking for.
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 04-08-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Forum Member

Then you still got that stump to deal with.

Cut it low.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Ahhh, WILLYS!.........

The "Real" Willys Jeeps were something else. Go anywhere, do anything. But the "modern" version ain't too swift these days. Dal-Good point (no pun intended) on the stumps. We cut anything and everything right at ground level. Not just for vehicle clearance, but for people on foot as well. Tripping hazards are a cause of a fair number of Wildland Firefighting Injuries each year, so we try to reduce that hazard when possible. Last Thing: Yes, I run a 'Dozer for the Md Forest Service, but we have areas where I am not able to use it, even on a major Fire. We have some extremely sensitive environmental areas, part of our State's preserved green spaces, where we must leave no trace of our work when the job is done. The gator has a light footprint that is easily restored when you are "Cleaning up" after the Fire.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Then you still got that stump to deal with.

Cut it low.

Like I said, you still have that stump to deal with. Do you really think that that underpowered gator is going to want to power itself up and over even the low cut stump or obstruction in the path with all the weight of the driver, passenger, and the tank/pump in the back? I didn't either.

Forum Member

Keepback, you must have radically different forests from the ones I'm used to in New England, or the ones I saw in California.

Either the trees are small and numerous enough to cause a problem...and the small ones are easy to quickly fell and then cut again at ground level.

Or they're big which would consume time felling then cutting low...but the big ones are spread out so you wouldn't have a problem going around them.

I really just can't see manueverability between trees being a big factor between 4x4 and 6x6 ATVs.

Forum Member

Ok, getting back to a bit bigger...

Saw one of these in the yard of a forestry equipment company in the Berkshires today:

http://www.goldoni.com/eng/trans-sincro-rs.htm

Articulated, 4wd, 3,000# payload

I think Rosscommon could have fun with it...should be able to easily do 200 gallons of water + all the equipment...and bed is plenty big enough for rescue work.

Forum Member

Speaking of articulated - check out the WASP: http://www.diamondgconcepts.com/

There are also videos on their site.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Ok, getting back to a bit bigger...

Saw one of these in the yard of a forestry equipment company in the Berkshires today:

http://www.goldoni.com/eng/trans-sincro-rs.htm

Articulated, 4wd, 3,000# payload

I think Rosscommon could have fun with it...should be able to easily do 200 gallons of water + all the equipment...and bed is plenty big enough for rescue work.
    Ok Dal, you were in my neck o' da woods and you didn't stop and say hi?

Where abouts did you find that gem?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Keepback, you must have radically different forests from the ones I'm used to in New England, or the ones I saw in California.

Either the trees are small and numerous enough to cause a problem...and the small ones are easy to quickly fell and then cut again at ground level.

Or they're big which would consume time felling then cutting low...but the big ones are spread out so you wouldn't have a problem going around them.

I really just can't see manueverability between trees being a big factor between 4x4 and 6x6 ATVs.

My side of the country has thick forests with medium size trees close together for the most part.

Forum Member

Opposite end of the range, LT

Saw that up near Ashfield...Conway I think???

Forum Member

Ahh...ok...the "Wannabe Berkshires"
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Ken wrote:

Dal:
    I think we are over due for some of the large (at least in this part of the country) brush fires.

Anybody here want to guess who was on TV tonight talking about their 20 acre forest fire...

Fox 61 hasn't posted the video to the web...yet

MembersZone Subscriber

In my department we have an ARGO 8x8 skid steer vehicle. It is amphibious to boot, can haul 6 personnel in full gear, is equiped with a 50 gallon tank and pump, can transport a patient in a stokes basket, will go 21 mph FULLY LOADED, is equiped with treads for winter use, has the abuility to climb over a 28" log, and can trun on a dime!

Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

Dal:

The chief sent all the media to me-he did the interview for a fire we had a couple of weeks ago. The first engine had a 2 acre grass fire and almost had it knocked down with back pack pumps. They ran out of water and the wind picked up. Total of 43 acres and it burned to the back of several homes under construction. We did a tanker shuttle (tender to the west coast folks) and believe it or not, it was the first time we have drafted at a fire in the 24 years I have been on the FD.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Thread Information