Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default GPS Systems...are they good?

My company and three other bordering towns are going to be given a GPS system for one truck by the town. We haven't used them before and I am worndering if they are worth it? The last thing you want is another thing to distract the driver on the way to a call. Your opinions?

Is it as simple as a GPS locater to establish coordinates for perhaps an air evac. chopper to use, or an actual mapping program to get you point A to B?

A department north of us here has computer maps with GPS in all their rigs, with all of their hydrants located, pre plans that can be accessed using the same program as well, and so on. I look forward to the day when we can put such a system in service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by shvfr4
    My company and three other bordering towns are going to be given a GPS system for one truck by the town. We haven't used them before and I am worndering if they are worth it? The last thing you want is another thing to distract the driver on the way to a call. Your opinions?
    Driver shouldn't have to look at it, it should be on the officer's side.

Are they worth it? Same as every computer database out there. Garbage in=Garbage out. Good data is the key.

MembersZone Subscriber

we have some money in the budget this year to buy GPS for our rigs. I just wana make sure i get the right ones. I don't want to buy a P.O.S. that never gets used.

Forum Member

Default GPS/mapping program

We are also looking at GPS and mapping programs. Just trying to get from point A to point B the best way. And maybe have hydrant information on it. If anyone has any info on it please email me @ lcfd302@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Is it worth it.......

I would say that G.P.S. is way worth it......... but remember, they are electronic devices. My experience has been you get whatcha pay for. With that being said, we have several Departments around us that use G.P.S. and M.D.T.
    One Federal Department uses their M.D.T. to see how traffic is on highway incidents. They log onto the C.H.P. website and get the traffic info. I know that they have beat us to numerous calls by taking the appropriate shoulder of the road. I bring this up just as an example of how technology can help us.
    I agree that the Engineer should not be looking at the G.P.S. while driving..... as an Engineer, I always select what I perceive to be the best route and then I gear my thought as to building construction, etc.
    If the right programs are installed I can' t see why you would not truly wonder what you did without it.
    Another example of how G.P.S. can be used is how my current Department uses them. We use them on all vegetation fires for acreage, and also for who' s district the fire is in or started in....... this is crucial on campaign fires were lots of money is to be spent (with charge backs to the responsible/requesting Department).
    Hope this helps, just like all our other tools..... please keep an open mind.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by shvfr4
    In my expereince it really doesn't produce a quantifiable benefit. I've yet to see a meaningfull before and after repsonse times analysis top show these GPS systems are of any benefit.

Most times the companies that are closer contact the dispatcher. Or the difference in times is neglegible.

My old department had this system installed...there were many...many mistakes and errors...I would say far more than under the older system of assignments (like box assignements) based on address and fixed locations.

There are probably a dozen things your department should be spending money on before this waste.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

"There are probably a dozen things your department should be spending money on before this waste."

Well...we're not paying for it...the town is.

But being in an area where the majority of companies are Vol. we run quite a few mutual aid runs to other towns, and that is probably what it would be used for the most

Thread Information