MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gasoline, a match, and nudity do not mix.

Nudist's spider-killing stunt backfires

April 2, 2006 - 7:11PM

A naked man suffered burns to one-fifth of his body when he tried to set fire to a spider at a nudist resort in the NSW southern highlands.

The 56-year-old Sydney man tried to kill what he thought was a funnel web spider by pouring petrol down the spider's burrow and igniting it with a match, the NRMA CareFlight service said.

But the fuel exploded and the man was left with burns to 18 per cent of his body, on the upper leg and buttocks.

The incident happened shortly before 1.30pm (AEDT) today at the resort, at the junction of the Wollondilly and Wingecarribee rivers, west of Bowral.

Resort staff treated the man before paramedics arrived to stabilise him.

The man was flown by helicopter to Sydney's Concord Hospital, where he was in a stable condition on arrival shortly before 4pm (AEST).

Resort guests told emergency crews it was probably a harmless trapdoor spider and not a deadly funnel web, CareFlight said.

The man's lack of clothing probably contributed to the extent of his burns, the rescue chopper service said.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Makes exposing the injury easy!

Forum Member

Default naked

Was this story the naked truth?

Forum Member

Talk about a hot @$$
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Weenie Roast!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Imagine being the Paramedic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Forum Member

"Sir, I can clearly see you're nuts!"

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

and here I thought fresh roasted peanuts were part of America's pastime!

On a different subject... we've already established the gas/matches combo was bad.... but did anyone factor in nudity and deadly spider extermination???

I searched quickly on the funnel web spider and below are the brief first aid guidelines: (with a few comments added of course )

First Aid
    People are usually bitten on a limb.(those numbers are probably even higher with more exposed 'limbs') Immediate action should be taken to apply a pressure immobilisation bandage and immobilise the bitten limb using a splint(excuse me, could you hold this here for a minute?) . Restrict the victim's movement. Capture the spider for positive identification. Do not wash venom off the skin (i wouldn't dream of it) , as retained venom will assist identification. Seek medical attention urgently.

Forum Member

Well that one didnt go to plan.
    I think we need to move onto alternative fuel sources so that its harder for idiots to get access to petrol; i dont care about the environment.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

wow....just wow
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer
    and here I thought fresh roasted peanuts were part of America's pastime!

On a different subject... we've already established the gas/matches combo was bad.... but did anyone factor in nudity and deadly spider extermination???

I searched quickly on the funnel web spider and below are the brief first aid guidelines: (with a few comments added of course )

First Aid
    People are usually bitten on a limb.(those numbers are probably even higher with more exposed 'limbs') Immediate action should be taken to apply a pressure immobilisation bandage and immobilise the bitten limb using a splint(excuse me, could you hold this here for a minute?) . Restrict the victim's movement. Capture the spider for positive identification. Do not wash venom off the skin (i wouldn't dream of it) , as retained venom will assist identification. Seek medical attention urgently.
    There's an old joke involving two hunting buddies, the call of nature, and a rattlesnake. I can't tell it here but the punchline is "The doctor said you're gonna die."

Nudist, spider bite, and extra exposed 'limbs' = The doctor said you're gonna die.

Forum Member

You are supposed to try limit the blood flow and especially the lymphe flow, imagine if a hot nudest lady walked past him if he had been bitten by it there.
    When you think about, imagine getting sunburnt there. i wonder whether nudist colonies consume more sunscreen than other places per capita.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

That whole concept bears more than is for good mental health.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information