MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any Firefighters Been To Iraq?

I was wondering if anyone here has been a firefighter in iraq or if anyone here know's anyone who has been there. I have been checking out the FF job with Wackenhut. I have been in the Army but never was deployed to Iraq, and have a ton of riends who have been and who are there. I am seriously considering it. All feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! R Craig (ff/nremt-p)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I just found the iraq post!!!

i just found the iraq board and posted this there!

Forum Member

Well ive been to Iraq but not as a FF. I work for WSI now, not to bad. Most everyone I work with was over there with KBR or WSI. From what ive been told good money to be made over there. Im thinking of going myself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default WSI Iraq

I was one of the originals who started Iraq WSI. Whatever you'd like to know I could probably answer or direct you to people currently there to answer your questions. Current pay will be around 130k, first 80 tax free. Work about 14-16 hour days. Work is ok, don't usually have your choice of work sites. They usually put you where they want or your skills dictate. They now offer classes for more certs so it's good if you are looking for cash and more certs. Living conditions vary base to base. Some bases are incredible, others are difficult. Chow halls (dining facilities) are for the most part very very good! Again though, depends on where you're at. People are friendly. Military can sometimes be difficult to deal with because they don't want to be there and they see you as someone who's making a crap load of money while they are bustin their butts for little pay. Equipment is brand new. All new trucks, hoses etc... I was at 4 different bases and I lived in everything from tents to my own personal metal room. Now, everyone should be living in either a new fire house or personal rooms witha a shared bathroom. Work is ok depending on your job. About half the jobs are paperwork jobs. The other half is shift work. Now I think they've tried to standardize it to everyone works during the day and any night calls is OT. You get a vacation every 4 months, mandatory. That makes for 2 vacations. Personal safety is base dependent. Some bases are relatively safe but others are can be "interesting" at times. Again, that's just according to where you're stationed. If you're not an idiot or problem child, and you're interested in earning more certs and a lot of money quickly, Iraq WSI can be a good job. If you think you may not be able to handle mortars exploding close to you, you may not want to go there. In the beginning we had mortars and rockets fired at us every day. We would take bets to see who could guess the exact time they would bomb us. It was a game for us. One week I had a mortar explode withing 100 yards of me every day. Kinda gets on your nerves after a while. You will probably never go off base or convoy. Any travel you do will be by helicopter from base to base.
    if you have any more questions, I'll watch this post.
    Good luck whatever you decide
    Also, if you haven't checked it another good job source is dodfire.com
    later

MembersZone Subscriber

this might seem like a silly question but i'd imagine they don't alow family to reside in the area do they? probably not a good idea for married fokes huh?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARMANDRT
    this might seem like a silly question but i'd imagine they don't alow family to reside in the area do they? probably not a good idea for married fokes huh?
    You are right...no family, but I know some with families that have gone there. This is something that "I" would not do personally. I like money, but I love my family!!!!! I was away from my family for a year after 9/11 being in the Air Force Reserve, but it is not something I would like to do again (keeping my fingers crossed)
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

I've noticed that most of the people on here who have gone contract to Iraq, Afghanistan, UAE, or Kuwait are mostly WSI. Does anyone have any info on the other two contractors over there - KBR and CSA? I have been to their websights and I know mostly what each company is about, but does anyone have a contact with either of these companies?

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Crossman0827
    I've noticed that most of the people on here who have gone contract to Iraq, Afghanistan, UAE, or Kuwait are mostly WSI. Does anyone have any info on the other two contractors over there - KBR and CSA? I have been to their websights and I know mostly what each company is about, but does anyone have a contact with either of these companies?
    Galebagram2u seems to have a lot of knowledge about contracts other than WSI. Check out this thread:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=75274
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by biosynthetic2
    I was one of the originals who started Iraq WSI. Whatever you'd like to know I could probably answer or direct you to people currently there to answer your questions. Current pay will be around 130k, first 80 tax free. Work about 14-16 hour days. Work is ok, don't usually have your choice of work sites. They usually put you where they want or your skills dictate. They now offer classes for more certs so it's good if you are looking for cash and more certs. Living conditions vary base to base. Some bases are incredible, others are difficult. Chow halls (dining facilities) are for the most part very very good! Again though, depends on where you're at. People are friendly. Military can sometimes be difficult to deal with because they don't want to be there and they see you as someone who's making a crap load of money while they are bustin their butts for little pay. Equipment is brand new. All new trucks, hoses etc... I was at 4 different bases and I lived in everything from tents to my own personal metal room. Now, everyone should be living in either a new fire house or personal rooms witha a shared bathroom. Work is ok depending on your job. About half the jobs are paperwork jobs. The other half is shift work. Now I think they've tried to standardize it to everyone works during the day and any night calls is OT. You get a vacation every 4 months, mandatory. That makes for 2 vacations. Personal safety is base dependent. Some bases are relatively safe but others are can be "interesting" at times. Again, that's just according to where you're stationed. If you're not an idiot or problem child, and you're interested in earning more certs and a lot of money quickly, Iraq WSI can be a good job. If you think you may not be able to handle mortars exploding close to you, you may not want to go there. In the beginning we had mortars and rockets fired at us every day. We would take bets to see who could guess the exact time they would bomb us. It was a game for us. One week I had a mortar explode withing 100 yards of me every day. Kinda gets on your nerves after a while. You will probably never go off base or convoy. Any travel you do will be by helicopter from base to base.
    if you have any more questions, I'll watch this post.
    Good luck whatever you decide
    Also, if you haven't checked it another good job source is dodfire.com
    later
    do you know if kbr or wsi is accepting firefighters w/ no experience other than level I & II. And if not do you know what training I need to better my chances?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default internet

how available is internet access...is it possible to take online college courses?

you have been there so I have some questions for you. my son is about to join WSI and come to Iraq very soon. How safe or dangerous is it? Does it really get up to 140 degrees or what is the average temp. there? Are there any do's or don'ts you have for him? Any recommendations for his fiancee or us his parents? we would love to hear from you about your experiences and those of your families. Please be safe and our prayers are with you.
    Cindy

Forum Member

I was in Iraq as a firefighter when the war started. Our team developed the first base with Fire Protection during the war. Although I did not go contract after I discharge from the Air Force, I at times wish I did. But, like others on this board, my family comes first.

As far as the climate goes, summers are hot and winters are chilly. I'm from Pa, so winters here are colder than winters in Iraq. Sand storms are frequent and more of an inconvienance than a hazard. Although I do suggest taking that scarf that is issued and use it to cover your mouth. Do not discard those goggles either. You'll need them.

What should you take? I'm sure by now bases are well developed with exchange shops. Therefore, what you can get here you more than likely can get there. However, there are probably bases that are still pretty bare and have tent cities. With that in mind, grab a case or two of baby wipes, freezer bags (I'll explain), and spare batteries. Why the freezer bags? Sand is EVERYWHERE you can imagine. If you take a portable cd or dvd player with you, you want to store them in the freezer bags to keep them as clean as possible.

Someone asked about internet availability. Yes, access is available and at most places, broadband or high-speed. Therefore, you will definatly have access to continue your education through on-line study. In fact, I'm almost positive that the base you end up at will encourage you to take some kind of courses. You will have lots of times on you hands! Take advantage of this time and get your certifications. They are no cost to you.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by cphillips22 View Post
    you have been there so I have some questions for you. my son is about to join WSI and come to Iraq very soon. How safe or dangerous is it? Does it really get up to 140 degrees or what is the average temp. there? Are there any do's or don'ts you have for him? Any recommendations for his fiancee or us his parents? we would love to hear from you about your experiences and those of your families. Please be safe and our prayers are with you.
    Cindy
    I can't comment on WSI, but I can help you with Iraq. International phone cards are the only ones that work at the phone centers and they use a lot of units per minute so buy the really big ones and add minutes to them. PSP's and Laptops are nice for watching movies and playing games, PS2, X-Box and other game systems and tv's are available for purchase at the exchange and he will be able to shop there, supplies are often limited. The tarmac can get awefully hot, just like the surface of a freeway in the summer, the air wont be 140 but it is still hot enough a camel back would be a good thing to bring. Indirect Fire all depends on the base so I can't really comment on that. If he gets to live in a Can he will have nice conditions. Food is good. Just give him your support and write often, real cards, letters and care packages really can make your day more than an email so keep that in mind.

Forum Member

I know if I cant find a job here soon ill be on WSI's ticket in Iraq.

Default I was a firefighter in Iraq

Yes I was a US Marine in Irar in 2003 and the job over there was extremely diffrent than any where I had previously been. The militaary end was crazy but we did work hand in hand with the Civilians. They get the best of the best for everything. They also live like kings. I would love to go back over there and do the civilian contracting. The only reason I have not is my family. Unfortunatly there isnt enough money in the world to make me go away again. If you think you can hack that part of the job the rest is cake. A ton of easy money and the accomodations are top of the line for the circumstances. Feel free to post again with more questions. Id love to help

MembersZone Subscriber

I was deployed in Iraq as a firefighter and I am going back in a few weeks as a contractor for WSI so if anyone has any questions about anything over there feel free to email me airforcefirefighter23@hotmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default kuwait

I was in kuwait Al Jabber it was a good base. Lots to do. They had college courses available online and onsite. They also had a computer room. Pretty good food, awsome gym and swimming pool.

Forum Member

Default WSI experience

Hello, I was wondering if WSI was accepting firefighters with experience as a EMT or paramedic, but no firefighter experience other than level I & II. Anything will help. Thanks

Forum Member

Default WSI experince

Hello, I was wondering if WSI was accepting firefighters with experience as a EMT or paramedic, but no firefighter experience other than level I & II.

Also is WSI a good way to get hired as a firefighter in the states?

Im going to iraq fo WSI and i was wondering what i needed to take with me. really havent been told much about my position. Just stories from soilders that were over there. Any info would be great, i hate going in not know what i need.

Default Iraq

I was in Iraq from 2005 to 2006. I can awnser any questions you have. Just hit me back with what ya got.

Forum Member

Talking

Hello,

Did you make it over to the sandbox? I am applying and am wondering
    if everything is as promised. Did you hear any information on whether more folks will be hired and if so when? I have all my certs in and a completed application but have not heard anything else. any info will be appreciated. Thanks and be safe!

Terence

Quote Originally Posted by phnx251 View Post
    Im going to iraq fo WSI and i was wondering what i needed to take with me. really havent been told much about my position. Just stories from soilders that were over there. Any info would be great, i hate going in not know what i need.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by trmcc27 View Post
    Hello,

Did you make it over to the sandbox? I am applying and am wondering
    if everything is as promised. Did you hear any information on whether more folks will be hired and if so when? I have all my certs in and a completed application but have not heard anything else. any info will be appreciated. Thanks and be safe!

Terence
    You're going to have better luck asking your question over in the Overseas forum.. http://forums.firehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=430

They specialize in contract/overseas civilian firefighting over in that forum. Good Luck!

-Damien

Thread Information