Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question La Habra Heights Fire Department

Does anybody have any info on the La Habra Heights, CA Fire academy and volunteer service? Iím looking to become a volunteer firefighter for that department. Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I know they're a combination department with paid captains/engineers and volly FFs. Most of their paid guys are f/t paid guys with other departments who come in and work for LHH on their off days. I believe they have a live-in arrangement for those on-duty. ITs my understanding that they have an in-house FF1 academy program and that if you commit to a certain amount of time with them, they also sign off on the FF1 cert when you get enough time (its one year service with a VFD or 6 months service with a paid FD to get the cert signed off).

They do also staff a state OES engine and send it out as part of a 5 engine strike team on wildland calls. They're not usually in the same S/T as our OES engine, but occasionally they do get assigned with us if one of our S/T's "normal" engines isn't available (I think they were out with us for the fire up in Simi Valley during the fall).

Beyond that, can't give you too many specifics. Our lead instructor for our new in-house training program through Rio Hondo's academy started his career with LHH and is now a BC with San Gabriel.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyPro
    I know they're a combination department with paid captains/engineers and volly FFs. Most of their paid guys are f/t paid guys with other departments who come in and work for LHH on their off days. I believe they have a live-in arrangement for those on-duty. ITs my understanding that they have an in-house FF1 academy program and that if you commit to a certain amount of time with them, they also sign off on the FF1 cert when you get enough time (its one year service with a VFD or 6 months service with a paid FD to get the cert signed off).

They do also staff a state OES engine and send it out as part of a 5 engine strike team on wildland calls. They're not usually in the same S/T as our OES engine, but occasionally they do get assigned with us if one of our S/T's "normal" engines isn't available (I think they were out with us for the fire up in Simi Valley during the fall).

Beyond that, can't give you too many specifics. Our lead instructor for our new in-house training program through Rio Hondo's academy started his career with LHH and is now a BC with San Gabriel.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!

Thread Information