Forum Member

Default C-5 Crashes South of DAFB

All 17 Survive Military Plane Crash Near Dover Air Force Base

Posted 03/04/2006 7:44 AM EST Updated 03/04/2006 1:02 PM EST

DOVER , Del. (WBOC/AP)- A C-5 cargo plane en route to Rota, Spain crashed just short of a runway on Dover Air Force Base early Monday after developing problems during takeoff, military officials said.

All 17 people aboard survived and were in stable or better condition, military authorities said.

The plane, the military's largest, went down at about 6:30 a.m., said Tech Sgt. Melissa Phillips, a base spokeswoman.

A spokesman for Kent General Hospital in Dover, part of BayHealth Medical Center, said it had received about 14 persons from the scene, none with life-threatening injuries, although the spokesman said most of them were covered with jet fuel when they arrived and had to be decontaminated in the parking lot before they were brought inside. Eleven of the 14 were expected to be released soon while the other three will be admitted to the hospital, the spokesman said.

Three patients were airlifted to Christiana Care in Newark, hospital spokeswoman Sharon Justice said. Their conditions were listed from stable to better, Justice said.

The plane belonged to the 436th Airlift Wing, but was being flown by a reserve crew from the 512th Airlift Wing, a reserve unit, said Capt. John Sheets of the Air Mobility Command at Scott
    Air Force Base in Illinois. There was one active-duty airman, a flying crew chief, from the 436th on board as part of this "blended crew," he said.

The plane had taken off, developed problems and was returning to the base for an emergency landing when it crashed in a field inside the base just short of the runway, said Lt. Col. Mark Ruse,
    Commander of the 436th Air Wing Civil Engineering squadron.

"It looks like it kind of slid along the ground almost like a water landing of sorts," Ruse said.

The plane broke into three pieces, with the cockpit separated from the fuselage and left lying at a right angle to the main part of the plane. The broken-off tail assembly was several hundred
    yards away and the left wing was shattered, but there was no evidence of smoke or flames.

Emergency crews including firefighters, medical personnel and security forces - some wearing hazardous materials suits - combed through the wreckage in a light rain under overcast skies. Some
    workers were spraying foam on the left wing assembly. One of the engines on that wing was thrown forward by the impact and laying near the nose.

Crews were off-loading the remaining fuel from the plane and all flights from the base were suspended.

Ruse said it was fortunate the injuries were not more serious.

"It's a miracle," Ruse said. "When you look at the condition of the plane, that 17 people are still alive right now, its absolutely amazing."

People driving near the runway of Dover Air Force Base say they knew something was wrong when this C-5 started to land at the wrong angle.

Mike Cowan, an eyewitness to the crash, said, "I saw the plane as the tail came in and hit the ground, the tail flew off the backside of the runway and the front of the nose dropped down and hit. It looked like it did a spin."

Cowan said the nose of the plane was significantly higher than it should have been.

Lisa Barrentine, who lives near the crash site, said she was in bed when she heard a rumbling.

"It was quite a large rumbling, it wasn't quite the rumble you normally hear, it was larger and you could hear the windows shaking," Barrentine said.

"My husband said he heard the crash. I didn't even hear it because the dogs were barking and they were barking loud."

Barrentine said the crash occurred about a mile from where she and her husband run a home-based tree service. After the crash, Barrentine said she didn't see any smoke or flames.

"No, just lots and lots of helicopters," Barrentine sad.

Planes normally fly over her property, which lies at the southern end of the runway between the base and the nearby Atlantic coast.

Dover is home to the 436th Airlift Wing, with more than 4,000 active-duty military and civilian employees, and operates the largest and busiest air freight terminal in the Defense Department.
    The base is also home to the Charles C. Carson Center for Mortuary Affairs, which processes bodies from the nation's wars.

The C-5 Galaxy cargo plane, made by Lockheed Martin Corp., is one of the largest aircraft in the world, according to the Air Force. It is six-stories tall and can fit six Greyhound buses inside it. It was first delivered to the military in 1970. Even with a payload of 263,200 pounds, the latest version can fly non-stop for 2,500 miles at jet speeds, according to the manufacturer.

Phillips said a board of officers will convene to investigate the cause of the crash. Roads closed near the crash scene included Route 9, Pickering Beach Road, Bergold Lane and South Little Creek Road.

Motorists will need IDs to prove they live in those neighborhoods to get through those roads that have been closed off.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I've been following this since I got the report this morning at 730. Just glad everyone got out safely. This could have been real nasty.

Forum Member

WOW! Im glad everyone got out as well!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

WOW, How many ladders,quints and rescues could that thing carry

Forum Member

Exclamation

Not sure about fire equipment but 16 greyhound buses.

Been in these flying years back. Glad we landed safe. Never had any desire ever to fly in one again.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

We were exteremly lucky here in Delaware. My company runs second due onto the base, so we sent an engine, rescue and ambulance to the scene. Probably the thing that saved us was that the C5 did not catch on fire. If it had, we probably would have lost at least a few crewmembera. This incident involved very nearly every department in the county, some from maryland, and even BWI's crash trucks were activated, but they were cancelled enroute. The county disaster plan was activated, with the hospital(KGH) responding admiraly(sp?).

One funny ting that occured during this incident was the crash trucks from the base deciding to not bother to try to unlock the gate leading to the field the plane was in, backing up, and just running the thing over. I was not onscene to see this (i had to watch my little bro) but i wish i had been!

And yes it can fit quite a few engines in it!!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Exclamation

can you imagine looking up and seeing that fall out of the sky ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    can you imagine looking up and seeing that fall out of the sky ?
    To hell with that, can you imagine being in the drivers seat and seeing that thing falling out of the sky?
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

[QUOTE=tbonetrexler]One funny ting that occured during this incident was the crash trucks from the base deciding to not bother to try to unlock the gate leading to the field the plane was in, backing up, and just running the thing over. I was not onscene to see this (i had to watch my little bro) but i wish i had been! QUOTE]

Many airfields are equipped with "Crash Gates" specially designed just for this- to punch through without stopping.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FWDbuff]
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler
    One funny ting that occured during this incident was the crash trucks from the base deciding to not bother to try to unlock the gate leading to the field the plane was in, backing up, and just running the thing over. I was not onscene to see this (i had to watch my little bro) but i wish i had been! QUOTE]

Many airfields are equipped with "Crash Gates" specially designed just for this- to punch through without stopping.

I dont believe that this was one, because it was an offbase crash, but that is good informatian to know, thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just an FYI...most military airfields do not have "crash gates" on their outer perimeter. It would create a security deficiency.

Thread Information