Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force jobs

Forum Member

Default Air Force jobs

Does the Air Force offer a paramedic position? I would like to enlist into the Air Force if I am able to get either a firefighter position or a paramedic position. I also heard that years in the Air Force will count towards the retirement plans in a city or county department is this true? Any advice about the Air Force would be great. Thank you very much!

I'll try to help, but I'm not in the USAF, so my knowledge is limited. As far as paramedics, the AF has a couple of options:
    -health care field, whether they get beyond EMT I can't say
    -pararescue jumper/PJ-they are medics but you have to be a special ops/lifeguard/super physical stud to be one.

The AF does not guarantee FF on enlistment, only the career field. That includes a lot of jobs that are nowhere near FF.

Military time applying to your pension is tied to state and local laws, union contracts, and the pension system's rules. It varies greatly throughout the nation.

Your best option is to get some general info from a recruiter-don't sign anything-and study it. Then come back to this forum and ask more specific questions. There are plenty of AF FFs who can advise you here.

Forum Member

If anyone here has been a Pararescue man I would love to find out more about this position in the Air Force. I know I can talk to a recruiter but some things can only be learned from people that have allready gone through the program. Gunnyv thanks for the information.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sacfire4
    If anyone here has been a Pararescue man I would love to find out more about this position in the Air Force. I know I can talk to a recruiter but some things can only be learned from people that have allready gone through the program. Gunnyv thanks for the information.
    Pararescue a required to graduate thier (roughly 1 year) tech school with NREMT-B. After that they have advanced courses for NREMT-P. As gunny said, most medical career fields in the AF are NREMT but they only go as high as NREMT-B. Anything higher would be RN or Doc. RN and DOC are both Officer career fields.

MembersZone Subscriber

For info on Pararescue try:

http://www.specialtactics.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sacfire4
    Yes. Parajumper is pretty much parachuting paramedics. Infact, if you want reciprocity you can get it as an EMT-P. Same with Army, if your MOS is 18D (Special Forces Medic) you can get reciprocity for becoming a PA.

So USAF Pararescue Paramedics = Parajumpers (PJ)'s

OSD122

Back in the 90's, when it was an all enlisted career field (1T2X0), it all started off at the Pararescue/Combat Control Indoctrination Course located at the Medina Annex of Lackland AFB. Back then, you had two ways of getting in. First was through the Guaranteed Enlistment Program, where you went to the recruiter, signed the paperwork, took the physical/swim test and went on to basic where afterwards, you went straight over to the Medina Annex to Idoc.

Second option was for those who were not Guaranteed enlistments for PJ/CCT, or any other career field, or may have had a Guaranteed enlistment in another career field. With this, one of the Idoc cadre visited all the basic flights and did a little recruiting and invited airmen to come out on the weekend to a base pool and take the entrance physical/swim test. Those under Guaranteed enlistment were required to participate in the weekend test during basic too.

Idoc was about 10 weeks in the 90's. Days normally started around 0430, but trainees could expect the cadre to show up in the middle of the night too.

Everyday consisted of a lot of running, calisthenics, weights, swimming and water confidence training. If you were lucky enough to make it through, you left Lackland to begin the pipeline training courses. Those courses were Combat Diver at Key West NAS, Airborne School at Fort Benning, Free Fall School at the Yuma Proving Grounds, SERE School at Fairchild AFB, Underwater Egress Training, and then finish up with PJ School at Kirkland AFB.

From what I understand, now that officers are in the mix under the Combat Rescue Officer (CRO) field, both officers and enlisted get NREMT-B, but enlisted PJ Trainees now get NREMT-P while at Kirkland.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    The AF does not guarantee FF on enlistment, only the career field. That includes a lot of jobs that are nowhere near FF.

not true! I came in GTEP 3E731 (firefighter)

so do most other people. It's takes some sort of miracle to get 3E7 by going in Open General(which is what you're talking about)
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Currently I am a 2W071 Munitions aka AMMO. Last week I found out my retrain into 3E7X1 was approved, to say the least I am very excited. Right now I am just awaiting a class date. I do have a few questions. Do they mix retrainees in with pipeline students? Or do they have seperate classes? Do the retrainees march to and from class with the pipeline students? If you wouldnt mind just give me brief run down of how things work for the retrainees. Thanks in advance.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT
    Currently I am a 2W071 Munitions aka AMMO. Last week I found out my retrain into 3E7X1 was approved, to say the least I am very excited. Right now I am just awaiting a class date. I do have a few questions. Do they mix retrainees in with pipeline students? Or do they have seperate classes? Do the retrainees march to and from class with the pipeline students? If you wouldnt mind just give me brief run down of how things work for the retrainees. Thanks in advance.
    ...yes, the re-class students will be in the same class with the pipeline students and most likely depending on your rank, you will be the "class leader". when I was there, the students that were retraining were able to drive to and fro from work but no, i dont remember the guys marching with us. Most likely you wont have a car there so you'll have to walk the troopwalk. Retrainees will stay in billeting and will not be allowed in the dorm area (unless for study groups) and vice verse... pipeline students aren't allowed over at billeting unless approved otherwise. Have fun.

Forum Member

Default Correct Information

I am an active duty Air Force recruiter. YES, we can offer the 3E7 career field without someone going in an aptitude index (open). IF you have civilian training in firefighting ie. firefighter 1 or 2, Volunteer firefighting classes, etc, you can receive a compentency booking based on your training already received. Which means, if the training is certified and qualifies, then you will be GUARANTEED the 3E7 Job up front! Yes we have plenty of para-rescue jobs! Yes, their are EMT's in the AF! Yes, pararescue is a 'Jumping EMT'. Anymore questions? A lot of regs and guidelines have changed from how they used to be. I would suggest that you dont rely on those that dont know the actual CURRENT guidelines. Contact your local AF recruiter. Also.. the Air Force Fire Fighting School is #2 in the country behind Texas A&M. After graduating from the school you will be Fire Fighter 2 along with being Airport Certified!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jblack19
    I am an active duty Air Force recruiter. YES, we can offer the 3E7 career field without someone going in an aptitude index (open). IF you have civilian training in firefighting ie. firefighter 1 or 2, Volunteer firefighting classes, etc, you can receive a compentency booking based on your training already received. Which means, if the training is certified and qualifies, then you will be GUARANTEED the 3E7 Job up front!

Can you explain this further. I am a volunteer firefighter for the past year, does this help me get the job? I am very interested in being an Air Force fire protection apprentice. Is there any way I can get it guaranteed before going to MEPS and taking the chance of getting stuck with another job? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Forum Member

A recruiter is telling me that I have to pick 4 jobs and am garanteed one of them, but quite frankly I don't want anything other than Fire Protection or MAYBE Law Enforcement branch of Security Forces... but thats a backup. Is this recruiter BS or am I forced to do this? Because all I want to do is fight fire.

Forum Member

Dont go Security Forces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont let them BS you. Cops have one of the worst jobs in the AF. And DONT GO INTO ANY 2W ie 2W0, 2W1, 2W2.

Forum Member

Alright, but that doesn't answer my question. I'm a junior in HS so the recruiter tells me i can reserve a job now and I'll be garanteed 1 of 4. But I don't want 4, I want 1. Now is there any way I can get around this or is it a standard policy they HAVE to follow?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BPFire1618
    Alright, but that doesn't answer my question. I'm a junior in HS so the recruiter tells me i can reserve a job now and I'll be garanteed 1 of 4. But I don't want 4, I want 1. Now is there any way I can get around this or is it a standard policy they HAVE to follow?
    The recruiter are Liars!!! I am currently a AirForce FF/EMT-B..... Listen... My recruiter tried to tell me to do that crap... to pick 4 jobs, and then I might get FF... hell no, I went to a different recruiter.. here is the deal, they just tell u that crap so u will go to MEPS and go through the process so the recruiter makes there deal.. YOU CAN PICK FF FOR A GUARENTEED JOB!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PICK 4 AND HOPE YOU GET FF... TELL YOUR RECRUITER THAT YOU WILL ONLY GO TO MEPS AND TRY TO GET FF, ONCE YOU GET TO MEPS AND TELL THE JOB PEOPLE ALL YOU WANT IS FF, THEY WILL TELL YOU, ITS OK, OR ITS NOT OPEN AT THE TIME... IF IT IS NOT OPEN AT THE TIME, THEN TELL THEM YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE PUT ON THE QUALIFIED AND WAITING LIST. ONCE YOUR ON THAT LIST YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED WHEN UR DEPARTURE DATE IS...

I hate recruiters... if anyone has any questions about Airforce FF let me know..

Forum Member

xxxshiftxxx - Thanks a lot for posting that information. I am currently in the process of talking with my recruiter and may going to MEPS soon. Can you please email me at msm28145@aol.com if you have time. I have some questions about the process that you explained and about air force firefighting. Thanks.

Forum Member

Its people like you that ruin peoples ideas about military recruiters. It is a fact that some recruiters do not tell the whole truth. However, that doesnt mean ALL do. Yes, you will be required to put in 4 jobs at MEPS. Its policy. You will be guaranteed 1 of those 4, as long as there are jobs available. We are nearing the end of FY 06 and the job list is dimishing.

Forum Member

Default more correct info...

Quote Originally Posted by BPFire1618
    This program is ONLY available to HS juniors. It is the Softbook Program. You HAVE to list 4 jobs. The job list will not be out until Jun 06. If your #1 job is on the list, you get it. If it isnt, they move to match the 2nd, ..etc. HOWEVER, IF you have ff training, bring those certificates to your recruiter and MEPS. If you have enough training you can get a compentency booking and will be guaranteed the FF job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT
    Dont go Security Forces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont let them BS you. Cops have one of the worst jobs in the AF. And DONT GO INTO ANY 2W ie 2W0, 2W1, 2W2.
    HAHA.. Id like to know what your job is. I have 19+ years in the AF. All 19 was in Security Forces. There are worse jobs in the AF. I happened to LOVE SF!!! How many jobs can you meet and greet the President of the US, SECof STATE, SEC of the AF, Chairman JCS, and numerous other diginitaries? Oh not to mention working hand in hand with Secret Service, FBI, Nat Security Agency, DEA, and US Marshals. Speak for your own job. I came into recruiting to give back to the AF just a peice of what they have given me. If you were an applicant of mine, with that attitude, I wouldnt allow you to join MY AF. Have a nice day.

Thread Information