Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation We Need A Usar Team In Arkansas

Are there any dept's in this state that would like to do joint training in rescue. Im looking around and talking to ADEM to see about starting an Urban Search and Rescue team.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have several members of my Dept. interested in SAR, we are trying to find some training and are going to get the Rough Terrain class series from AFA as a start since we are mostly interested in wilderness SAR at this time. I heard Howard County had one of the top SAR in AR was wanting to contact them for training info. As far as USAR that would require a largegroup to sponsor/base a Task Force out of, I believe the closest one is TN Task Force - 1 out of Memphis FD.

--Chris E. Gaines

CGaines78@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Talking Usar

In northwest corner we have USAR with Springdale being base for Trench and Collapse, Fayetteville also receives training however Springdale has the equipment cache and more personnel trained. It's a Regional effort as FFD is the major Swiftwater resource. We contracted Spec Rescue for our training and it was top notch instruction from knowledgeable instructors.
    Feel free to contact me for further jshinn@springdaleark.org
    Good luck.

Forum Member

In Jefferson County this topic has come up and we are currently looking into starting a Heavy Rescue for the county. The problem with being a true USAR team is $$$$$$ and man power. City's dont have the cash for all the equipment and volunteers dont have the time to train. Shinn, why did you contract out did the AFA not have any instructors?

Forum Member

Talking If you work for the AFA don't read!

The AFA does teach trench, however it is subpar as most AFA training tends to be. I don't believe that the AFA has a building collapse class. If they did, we still probably wouldn't use them. The instructors that came to Springdale were all very experienced with usar. Half of them had been at either the Pentagon or WTC. Along with the hurricanes in the south. Very knowledgable instructors with lots of experience in their fields and in instruction. By the way, i'm not trashing the AFA they just don't have the funding, political backing, or experience to provide high quality training.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

--------------
    Last edited by firefighter7160; 11-15-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Default A Gripe

Don't you find it a bit inappropriate to bash the state fire academy on an international forum while making it very well known that you are a PB Firefighter 7160? Kind of like putting the radio codes for the whole county out for the world to see. I bet there's something in the SOP's concerning this kind of thing.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

What are you talking about...... Im not bashing the AFA. They have some good guys down there. But when its comes to advanced rescue, they just dont teach this. Is that a bash of the AFA. NO........

And as for the 10 codes, they have been on the web for years....... Do a search!

Not the ten codes buddy, I am speaking of the fact that you gave out every unit code and all of the specs of the Jefferson County Comms system over the internet and explained it in detail. My comment about you bashing the AFA also refers to past posts that you yourself have made on the topic of the AFA definitely not being the best. Sound familiar? No one has a problem with you speaking your mind. But it would be a good idea not to associate your opinion with the department that you are employed by, last time I checked Pine Bluff has a good working relationship with the AFA. You have PBFD plastered all over everything that you post. If I were you I would try to keep my nose as clean as possible and only speak of the things that you really know and not just jump on a bandwagon. Because as you have now discovered you can never tell who is watching.

Forum Member

Default Ease up

Quote Originally Posted by CPTPB32 View Post
    Not the ten codes buddy, I am speaking of the fact that you gave out every unit code and all of the specs of the Jefferson County Comms system over the internet and explained it in detail.
    Isn't that stuff FOIA anyway? I don't think he was really bashing the fire academy, and it's no secret that the AFA is poorly funded and has little to no political backing. Hence the reputation of being a poor training institution.
    It's not their fault, that's just Arkansas politics.
    cheers.

Forum Member

Wink Cheaper on me!

I can see were everyone is coming from! And we all need to back our AFA and see what we can do to get them more funding. I am originaly from California, and even back in the late 80's most people would pay over $2000.00 to go to the academy. Then apply for the FD and go to work... I am glad that the AFA is here and a lot cheaper on my pocket book! And no the department you went to work for did not give you any $$$$$ for going...

Yes, I'm sure that this information could be obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, but that does not necessarily mean that we should broadcast our capabilities for all of the world to see or be so willing to give up that kind of information to anyone that will listen, especially coming from someone who has no authorization to give it. I'm sure that a lot of things that we try to keep hush-hush are also FOIA as well, such as our response times to certain areas, the names of Bomb Squad members, etc.. Sure those things are out there, but are they released to the general public by a firefighter or someone a little higher on the food chain?

Concerning the question of AFA bashing, no I do not think that anyone on this thread has been bashing the AFA outright; however, I have seen FF7160's past posts some of which have mysteriously disappeared. In my opinion the AFA is doing very well with the funding that it gets, which other than this year has been miniscule. What irks me are the things said on previous thread, these are the posts that contained the codes that I am speaking of it was called "What's going on in Arkansas", just FYI. Don't get me wrong, I am not representing the AFA, nor have I ever. They have been good to me and layed my foundation for what is now my career, that's all. I just think that criticism comes from some people who have nothing better to do than stir the pot, this is made worse when the person that I am speaking of posts on a thread representing a fire department. I know that everyone knows where everyone else is from, but he mentions Pine Bluff in every other sentence.

Also, instructors for the special rescue classes, of the caliber that you are talking about, can be requested from the AFA. They will in turn request an instructor from the NFA, who should be very experienced in the area and it is free as well. I know that the AFA does not have many people to teach this kind of thing in the state, but instructors can be requested from out of state to supplement.

Forum Member

Cpt. I did not know that the AFA would reqest out of state instructors. Is this free or would the requesting department pay a cost? As for 7160's post I have mixed feelings on this... Check out www.lacounty.com, they give out a lot more than 60 has. My take is 60 is a energetic FF that loves his job and is proud to say it. Also the PBFD is a public entity that is funded by tax dollars, as a resident in PB I would think it is my right to know how the department operates if I wanted to. Now on the other hand with the way the world is going safety issues need to be addressed. And woulld hate to think that this forum assisted in some type of attack in Jefferson. I would be interested in seeing what SOP's are in place about this type of thing.

Forum Member

Sorry guys and gals its www.lacountyfire.com

I guess I look at things differently than some...

10-Codes? Well, if you listen in to my department's channel... You'll usually hear clear-text. En route. On scene. In Service. No secrets there. We're the fire department... not the cops. As for resources? You can come down to the station almost any time of day and we'll show 'em to you. If you want, you can even sit at the wheel and honk the horn. The way I figure it... if the taxpayers paid for stuff, they should probably get to see it.

Sure, there are some folks out there that scream Homeland Security and want us all to live in concrete bunkers. Personally, that's just not my style. However, my department does have a concrete bunker... we just use it for live fire drills. Those aren't secret, either. Just the other day we had a television reporter and cameras and everything come over and show the world -- well, at least the state -- our bunker on the 10 o'clock news.

It's a sad day when the fire department is supposed to be a secret.

Forum Member

Default afa

Everybody wants to talk about the afa they are trying. If all the firefighters would keep in mind that we are all trying to do the same thing it would help bashing, making fun of or just downing other firefighters or fire departments does not help. I was talking to some of the people we put in office in LR and they dont understand why all this happens. This came from a couple of guys in the house of reps "What we see right now is three or four groups asking for laws or services but not able to agree on what they want. This needs to change." If we could get all on one page we should be able to get better funding for the afa.

Forum Member

Cool Information is power

Quote Originally Posted by CPTPB32 View Post
    Kind of like putting the radio codes for the whole county out for the world to see. I bet there's something in the SOP's concerning this kind of thing.
    Is this guy for real?...Obviously a Republican of the neocon Dick Cheney genus and about as bright! (Tricky Dick wants to take information such as the FCC freq allocation website off the net)

Sorry bud The Press, Homeowners in the path of fire, fellow public safety persons, Volunteers, SAR, scanner enthusiast's, All sorts of folks need the same info in real time as the first responder, not just an official press release days later.

Real time information is powerful stuff and folks like you always want to interpret, wash, and package the facts for the ignorant citizens.

No thanks I can interpret it myself.

This is the U.S.A not North Korea, It is the peoples Government which should be open and transparent, including anything the fire department is doing... and most of what the cops are doing.
    If your department is doing something that is considered top secret you probably shouldn't be doing it!
    Even PD does not need secret freq's or encryption for most traffic.

Out here in the California we developed "Clear text" which is being adopted by Federal mandate all across the country basically this will require you to use plain unabbreviated English, and the nationally-standardized Incident Command System specifically prohibits ten-codes. so your Dick Tracy secret decoder ring is obsolete now.

Speaking in plain English will come naturally to you after some training, and will come to your department sooner rather than later.
    Your ten codes were not fooling Bin Laden anyhow.

10 codes are 10-7, or maybe in your area 10-10, basically a 1144 case, 10-4?

Ten-codes were developed in the 1940s at a time when police, fire radio channels were limited, to reduce use of speech on the radio not to confuse the public! or hide information.

Bob - Editor Cal Fire News
    Last edited by rocdad; 01-20-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Forum Member

Well put Bob. Just so you don't use this gentleman as a measuring stick, I believe most of Arkansas has adopted plain language already and we have one of the best track records for NIMS compliance. The part of Arkansas i work in has put to bed 10 codes and even the small volunteer depts are getting rid of them. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by shinnfire; 02-04-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocdad View Post
    Is this guy for real?...Obviously a Republican of the neocon Dick Cheney genus and about as bright! (Tricky Dick wants to take information such as the FCC freq allocation website off the net)
    Cite for this stupid comment? (and your comment about republicans, well,
    never mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by rocdad View Post

Out here in the California we developed "Clear text" which is being adopted by Federal mandate all across the country basically this will require you to use plain unabbreviated English, and the nationally-standardized Incident Command System specifically prohibits ten-codes. so your Dick Tracy secret decoder ring is obsolete now.
    ROFL!!! California developed "clear text"???? What next, California developed the wheel? How about California develops water!

And secondly my uninfomed friend, although the feds tried to mandate
    clear text, that was quickly stopped. I am a fan of clear text, but you need to get your information right.

I need to send you a bill for keyboard cleaning, there is Diet Dr Pepper all over mine now. That was hilarious. Did you hear, California has developed something else now. Nutjobs!

Forum Member

LV, I do think Cali did if you call it "developed" clear text. Take a look at the history of incident command, I belive it was FIRESCOPE? that came up with clear text in IC for the 70's wildfire's. At least that is what they teach in IC class.

Thread Information