Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    Well I'm bored listening to a 2nd alarm apartment fire, so here are a few more in NC...
    Kill Devil Hills Fire Department
    Morehead FD
    Jupiter FD
    Pumpkin Center (with BLUE fire trucks)
    Boger City FD
    Bath FD

And not really unusual, but..
    Denver, NC FD
    Nashville,NC FD
    Dallas, NC FD
    Bethlehem Community FD
    Cleveland FD
    Something is Very Ironic about that post. The city of Morehead and the Morehead fire department is one county over from mine. You also said Bath fire department though we don't have a Bath Fire department my department is in Bath County Ky, we do have a Bath EMS and Bath Rescue squad
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by firetruckred
    I read an article on here the other day about the " Skid Row" Fire Dept. The Dept wants to keep the name they are proud of but some people in town are trying to change it.
    It's the Los Angeles Fire Department. Here's an article on it.

Los Angeles Fire, EMS Fight to Keep "Skid Row" Name

In Los Angeles' most maligned neighborhood, they hope to put the skids to one image-polishing idea.

Street people and loft residents have joined forces to block removal of the name "Skid Row" from the sides of firetrucks and rescue ambulances that are assigned to the beleaguered downtown zone.

The name has been painted for decades on equipment that is operated out of Station 9, the 7th Street firehouse that serves the skid row area and proclaims itself "the busiest fire station in the country."

Firefighters and paramedics -- as well as some residents -- said the skid row label helps instill a feeling of community in a district struggling with homelessness and crime.

But top fire officials say they've received complaints that the name is derogatory and ordered "Skid Row" stripped from Station 9's two fire engines, its hook-and-ladder truck and its two paramedic ambulances.

"If it's offending people, we don't want to be doing it," said Battalion Chief Lou Roupoli, adding that residents of the new condominiums and lofts popping up in the area have complained that the fire engine label is objectionable.

Some of the developers who have been converting old bank buildings into luxury lofts on the edges of skid row have increasingly been using the less-gritty name "Central City East" to describe the district.

Fire officials declined to say who complained. And with firefighters now campaigning to keep the skid row moniker, community leaders are largely trying to stay neutral in the debate.

They said they want to support the firefighters but also understand that the term can have a negative connotation -- to both new residents and the poor who have long called the district home.

"It's a badge of honor to firefighters. They're adamant it should be 'Skid Row.' But a lot of people in subsidized housing feel stigmatized by the name," said Brady Westwater, the elected president of the Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council, which has not taken a position on the issue. "They feel the skid row name is a barrier to having a positive image of the area."

Yet many others have responded by circulating petitions calling on fire officials to reconsider their decision.

Transients are helping collect signatures on the streets while loft residents gather them in storefront shops and studios carved out of former factories and office buildings scattered around skid row.

"As off-beat and off-color as it might sound, there \o7is\f7 a sense of community pride here," said Cherry Wood, a Web and graphics designer who has resided more than 10 years in downtown Los Angeles. "You know what? There are a lot of really nice people in skid row. People don't understand that unless they live here. Even people who don't like the name 'Skid Row' support the firefighters who want to keep the name on the trucks."

Wood said she and others learned of the name ban after firefighters responded to a recent refrigerator fire in their building. It is a converted 1926 paper factory between 5th and 6th streets.

"It was a small fire. But it put out a tremendous amount of smoke that filled the whole building. Everybody ran out when the alarms went off," Wood said. "A bunch of us were taking pictures."

Residents later decided to take copies of their photos to Station 9 as a thank-you gift to firefighters. Wood said firefighters became emotional when they saw pictures clearly depicting the "Skid Row" name on the engines. They explained that the name had been ordered deleted.

"The guys like it. It's become a term of endearment. It shows that, hey, this is our area," said Station 9 Capt. Cedrick Cleveland, who leads Station 9's two-engine crew.

Cleveland told the residents that firefighters didn't know who had complained about the skid row engine labels or found them derogatory.

"We know there's a hard push to clean up the area, to eliminate the homelessness. It's getting a lot of press. That's the only conclusion we came to," Cleveland said.

To the firefighters at Station 9, the skid row name is more than just a way of identifying the neighborhood they serve. They take pride working at what is considered the toughest assignment in the Los Angeles Fire Department, where the station can respond to more than 60 calls a day. Off-duty firefighters also wear T-shirts printed with the slogan "Wino Nino Firehouse Skid Row."

Wood is now leading the petition drive, and she says she's finding much support for the name.

"Does taking the name off the trucks change where we're at?" asked Willie Wilson as he signed the save skid row petition for her as he sat this week in San Julian Park.

Wes Sams, who lives in a single-room unit on Wall Street, was offended that the name was being removed.

"What petty group is trying to do that?" Sams demanded. "Maybe it's those people moving into these elaborate lofts. It's not right."

This is not the first time Los Angeles has grappled with a neighborhood name that some consider a liability. Three years ago, the City Council voted to change South-Central Los Angeles to South Los Angeles, saying South-Central brought with it a stigma of gang activity and drugs. The city has also changed the names of several neighborhoods in the San Fernando Valley -- portions of Sepulveda became North Hills -- for similar reasons.

Officials of the Central City East Assn. said that while they believe the term skid row has a negative connotation, they have not called for it to be removed from the trucks.

"Whenever I see the trucks and the words 'Skid Row,' I always smile," said Estela Lopez, executive director of the nonprofit advocacy group for area property owners. "If we really want to clean up skid row, we shouldn't worry about what's on the side of the fire engines. We should be worried about what's on the streets."

Records indicate that the skid row name in Los Angeles dates from 1939, when an essay labeled "Skidrow Serenade" was published in The Times. The article chronicled the area's "10,000 transients, variously called tramps, hobos, hitchhikers, bindle stiffs and other names not so nice," noting that "sooner or later every one of these wanderers will find his way down to 5th Street and Towne Avenue ... the heart of Skidrow."

The name was first applied to an area in Seattle where an early-1900s wharf-area lumber operation attracted transient workers who moved logs by dragging them along what locals called "Skid Road."

Back at Station 9, some of the 51 firefighters, who are divided into three round-the-clock shifts, said they would hate to see the label go.

"Its been on there 20 years," said Justin Bactat, an apparatus operator on the hook-and-ladder. "We wear that name with pride."

Fire Capt. Walter Duffy said those in skid row view it that way too.

"People shout out, 'Hey, you guys are our fire station. You guys are our fire department,' when they see us," Duffy said.

Firefighters have invited downtown-area City Councilwoman Jan Perry to have dinner at the 46-year-old firehouse next month so they can discuss skid row and other issues.

Perry said she favors public hearings, which would gauge community reaction to the firetruck name before she takes a stand. Some have recommended a whole new official designation for the skid row area -- such as the "Hope Central" name that one homeless mission has floated, she said.

"People have strong feelings about this," Perry said.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

NYSmokey,

Yep, that's the article. I am glad you posted it.

I feel bad for the boys to have to deal with such political BS!

It is nice to read how proud they are.

Some people (high and mighty political a**holes) have no sense of themselves or have no idea what pride is. Don't get me started on that subject or web management will have to wipe out 10 pages of ranting.

Hope all goes well at their dinner.

What a shame. A f**king dinner over a name. Geeezzzz how political is that.

Sorry, just gets my blood pressure going that they have to hold a dinner over this. Who is paying for the dinner, the FF's? Oh man, I better stop here.

MembersZone Subscriber

In NC we have a Climax Fire Department.. and it's right near Horneytown Fire Department. No lie..
    I had to see it for myself so I looked up their patch online! Imagine being the Chief of Horneytown. I'm new to NC and thought that was funny.

P.S. Anyone from NC know why Leland FD has a huge picture of a scorpion on their Rescue truck?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yup!.............

We have a few in Downtown Maryland. Halfway and Accident come to mind. I'm told that the town of Fireco, West Virginia has a Vol. Fire Co. "hello, 911? can you send me the Fireco Fire Co. down here real quick?". There is a VFD in the town of Secretary, Md. But I don't know who the Secretary VFD's Secretary is......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffemtPAJ
    I had to see it for myself so I looked up their patch online! Imagine being the Chief of Horneytown. I'm new to NC and thought that was funny.

P.S. Anyone from NC know why Leland FD has a huge picture of a scorpion on their Rescue truck?

What county is Leland in?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Intercourse Fire Department

Intercoursefire.com

Blue Ball Fire Company

Blueballfire.com
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

MembersZone Subscriber

KeepBack-
    Leland is right outside Wilmington in Brunswick County. The first time I saw it I figured it was a crab or something, in reference to it's close proximity to the beach communities, but now i think it's really a scorpion! Haven't seen it up close yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Forum Member

Oh, ok. I think I met some of those guys at the Pender County Fire/Rescue Seminar earlier in the year. I got to thinking after I posted that that it was prob. right around Wilmington.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jce51cfd
    www.blueballfire.com

No it is not mine.

I know where blue ball is its right next to Intercourse... Yes Intercourse, both in Lancaster County PA, the Land of the Amish.

Forum Member

KeepBack-
    Leland is right outside Wilmington in Brunswick County. The first time I saw it I figured it was a crab or something, in reference to it's close proximity to the beach communities, but now i think it's really a scorpion! Haven't seen it up close yet.

Dude Leland Rescue has a frigging scorpion on their rig! What are they trying to promote scorpion stings and poisoning!?

MembersZone Subscriber

My vote is for the Cheesequake VFD...Cheesequake NJ

Forum Member

Theres a small town in Scotland called Twatt. Not sure if they have a fire station or not. (BTW its got a very high theft rate as people keep making off with the placename signs!!)
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Default Spread Eagle, WI

Not sure if they have a Fire Dept. there but add Spread Eagle, WI to the list.

Forum Member

During Katrina I saw on the side of an ambulance. N.O. Fire/Rescue. Kind of funny cause of Fema. For the slow folks N.O. is New Orleans

Also have seen Beirut Fire Department and Pocomoke EMS. (I just like the name Pocomoke).

Forum Member

Haven't got a clue.. but then again, most departments just pick a mascot and run with it! For example, the "Road Runner" from the cartoon was originally developed by the Fuquay-Varina, NC Fire Department as the "Fire Runner." The TV network had to get permission to use the "Fire Runner" in the cartoon, thus creating the "Road Runner." Beep! Beep!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Default Intercourse

Quote Originally Posted by nozzelvfd
    Intercourse Fire Department

Intercoursefire.com

Blue Ball Fire Company

Blueballfire.com

Did anyone notice that Intercourse Fire Department is in Leacock Township

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfdffemt17
    Did anyone notice that Intercourse Fire Department is in Leacock Township
    HAHA, they also sell "Intercourse Air Freshener"
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if they have a fd but there is a town in my area called Hell. It is in MI. Hell FD sounds kinda cool.

Forum Member

Coxsacky Fire- New York

Forum Member

Mars FD & Apollo FD

Quote Originally Posted by notmedicyet
    I think there are hundreds of those across the country.

There are dozens right in PA, Top Five, most used company names in the commonwealth are:

Willing Hand
    Friendship
    Union
    Goodwill
    Independant

Forum Member

Well I'm bored listening to a 2nd alarm apartment fire, so here are a few more in NC...
    Kill Devil Hills Fire Department
    Morehead FD
    Jupiter FD
    Pumpkin Center (with BLUE fire trucks)
    Boger City FD
    Bath FD

And not really unusual, but..
    Denver, NC FD
    Nashville,NC FD
    Dallas, NC FD
    Bethlehem Community FD
    Cleveland FD
    Also for NC dont leave out :

Lovelady Fire and Rescue

Oxford (CATFISH) Fire Department - there is actually an Oxford Fire Dept. in Raleigh and Oxford (CATFISH) Fire Dept. is on Catfish Corner in Claremont and is listed as Catfish Fire Dept in the NC directory (or was at one time)

Matt

Forum Member

The department West of us, Guilford Volunteer Fire & Rescue, used to be called the Broad Brook Fire Control Association in the 1940s.

MembersZone Subscriber

seem's like pa. has a ton of good ones! I have also heard of big beaver fire dept. in pa also!

Blair, NE. Their sirens really must...

Not sure if they have FD's...
    London, MN
    Moscow, MN
    Oslo, MN
    Burnside, IA

Thread Information