Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Default Is there something wrong with me?

I was born in 1944. I almost lost my father twice in 1950 and 1951. Later in the 50's I watched my little brother get hit with a truck in the street in front of the house (he recovered). I watched all the trees in out neighborhood blown down by a wind storm. I fell off an outdoor swing set and had emergency surgery for a ruptured spleen. I did the "duck and cover" drills and worried about those enemy bombs.

Somehow I got thru all this graduated from high school, attended college, served as an officer in the army and spent 31 years in the fire service split between two departments. Over half of them as a company or chief officer.

I never had any "mental health assistance". Now people are proposing that the Federal government provide mental health counseling for all the children the went thru Katrina.

Maybe it is the adults that need counseling.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

From what I saw on the news, I think the parents need more help than the kids. "Gee, lets steal a new family TV in 9 feet of sewage"
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Nothing bad can happen to children nowadays lest they experience bad things in life.

We recently had 4 teenagers killed in a wreck here. Going 100 plus off the highway overpass, drunk, unbelted.

All the kids cried, not one person spoke out against the waste of life. Lest the little darlings be scarred.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Schools are doing away with red ink for grading papers because they feel it is too harsh on the kids. So they are now going to use purple ink. Well soon purple will be the new red There is too much sensitivity BS today IMHO.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    Schools are doing away with red ink for grading papers because they feel it is too harsh on the kids. So they are now going to use purple ink. Well soon purple will be the new red There is too much sensitivity BS today IMHO.
    Here in NY you can only fail a grade once then you get a free pass for the rest of your school career. Something about not wanting to make the kids feel they are stupid. What the hell is happening out there?
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt
    Here in NY you can only fail a grade once then you get a free pass for the rest of your school career. Something about not wanting to make the kids feel they are stupid. What the hell is happening out there?
    ...so it's OK to let a kid continue to BE stupid, as long as they don't know it....Nice.....

Stupid people who don't know they're stupid are dangerous.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

In the words of the stereotypical black guy who is about to be killed next in any generic horror movie:
    'Dis s**t is whacked!'
    How can you let a kid pass like that? How can you be afraid of marking with a red pen? When i get my work back i always read the stuff written in red because it tells me where to improve. It was like that in junior school, it was like that in senior school and its like that in uni.

BTW for the people who think Bush is 'totally' useless; he offered Australia aid when Cyclone Larry hit Inisvail a few weeks back; the day after it struck. Katrina's lesson has apparently been learnt. and dont start any debates on how it should have been learnt beforehand, im just stating it is so.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Too many demanding too much instant gratification.

Candyass parents who may never have been disciplined themselves allowing their little darlings to walk, nay run, all over them.

I taught my kids from an early age that life ain't fair, deal with it.
    And they know now how true that is.

It didn't seem to hurt them.

And, yes, in my opinion grief counseling can be overdone.

Lots of this type of stuff should be done within the family.

At my brother and sisters school they cannot wear red because it inspires violence. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Also, yes, lets steal a tv in 9 ft of raw sewage when we wont have electricity for months and it will probably get ruined anyway.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Default pete892

There isn't a thing wrong with you and I come from the same generation only two years later. I find it disturbing when I go to a fastfood place or store where some kid has a cash register with the little pictures on it and if the machine goes down can't give me change because they don't know how unless the machine tells them how much. My mental health came in the form of a swift kick in the a**.

Forum Member

Wink

Yes, there is....you need intensive grief counselling with a highly paid and utterly worthless professional. In addition, more fiber in your diet, less salt on your fries and a swift kick in the pants for your inner child.

And no competition ever; everyone wins and gets a trophy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    At my brother and sisters school they cannot wear red because it inspires violence. GIVE ME A BREAK!
    I live out in the boons of Ohio. You have to go at least an hour to get to anywhere where there would be any real gang activity. Yet we still have a similar dress code.

The school district I attend and work for just built a new k-12 building. Everything is locked down and you can't spit without cameras getting a 360 degree view of you. It's a shame that because somebody decided to shoot up a school an couple thousand miles away that now we have to be locked down like Leavenworth.

In my opinion, part of the problem is that parents, teachers, etc. teach kids to accept everybody, no matter who they are. So am I supposed to accept that my friend got hit by a car and died because the driver was high on crack coacain and couldn't see straight? Am I supposed to accept that the kids that live a block down from me that are smoking pot like a chimney are all right and that since they're all right I can pick up on their habits and be accepted too? Or even, am I supposed to accept the terrorist that took over 2 planes and crashed them into the side of a building? Remember, accept everybody, no matter who they are.

People need to quit getting caught in the rush, slow down and look at the big picture. People need to learn to deal and teach their kids to deal. And maybe while they're at it, teach their kids a little respect. I'd also like to see the paddling of kids be brought back into the school system.

Here's my point of view. Both my parents were raised on farms. My dad's dad also did insurance on the side. There wasn't that much money there. My dad had to learn how to not be able to get what he wanted all the time and sometimes get something special. And with farming, you don't have control over the weather which plays a big part in your crop. Gotta learn to deal, make do, and pick your battles. My mom's mom had 7 kids. Money was tight. Everybody got handmedowns. That was just the way things went. And that's how they raised me.
    Last edited by MichaelD77; 04-06-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Thread Information