1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    EFD840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Eclectic (no, NOT electric), Alabama
    Posts
    1,510

    Default More humans losing battles with insects

    Now that we have learned that gasoline is not the appropriate tool for use on spider nests, we will move on to lesson two:

    40mm grenades are designed for use in an M79 or M203 grenade launcher. They do not make good paperweights and should never be used to squash bugs in class.


    From Fox News

    Paperweight Explodes, Severs Teacher's Hand
    Tuesday, April 04, 2006

    VENTURA, Calif. A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

    The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

    Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

    The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

    Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    Now that we have learned that gasoline is not the appropriate tool for use on spider nests, we will move on to lesson two:

    40mm grenades are designed for use in an M79 or M203 grenade launcher. They do not make good paperweights and should never be used to squash bugs in class.


    From Fox News

    Paperweight Explodes, Severs Teacher's Hand
    Tuesday, April 04, 2006

    VENTURA, Calif. A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

    The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

    Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

    The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

    Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.
    Well, the question that begs to be asked here is: Did he get the bug, or not?!




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Is anyone else disturbed by the complete lack of common sense pervading modern society?

    You find a grenade and you do not even ever think to ensure that it is not live?

    And this moron is TEACHING!!!!!!
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas,Nevada
    Posts
    1,012

    Default degrees

    A college degree just can't make up for good old fashioned common sense and logic. Apparently this person had never been in the military or been around live munitions. The insect probably got away.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Red face Collegiate Question

    They sure never taught me the ability to discern between live and dead/dummy rounds in college. I bet his class will remember that lesson very well.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seltzer27e
    They sure never taught me the ability to discern between live and dead/dummy rounds in college. I bet his class will remember that lesson very well.
    I wonder how many surreptiously went home and "checked" their homes for stuff left behind from Grandpa's war service.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    I wonder how many surreptiously went home and "checked" their homes for stuff left behind from Grandpa's war service.
    Probably not as many as went home and checked their drawers for skid marks
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Is anyone else disturbed by the complete lack of common sense pervading modern society?

    You find a grenade and you do not even ever think to ensure that it is not live?

    And this moron is TEACHING!!!!!!

    Survey says...95% of the population have no common sense. Im still trying to figure out "common" as it sure isnt.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Ladder8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Possum Lodge
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Well at least he was lucky that he only set off the casing and not the actual grenade (or that he had a training grenade w/only a powder-puff round in it).

    The HE round for the M79/M203 is spin-setback armed and has a kill radius of about 5 meters, IIRC.

    Either way he was lucky, albeit stupid.
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    BCmdepas3280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Survey says...95% of the population have no common sense. Im still trying to figure out "common" as it sure isnt.
    Did you ever think....there right and we're wrong....food for thought
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

    Mike IAFF

    The beatings will continue until the morale improves

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltmdepas3280
    Did you ever think....there right and we're wrong....food for thought
    That, my friend, is a very unpleasent thought.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  12. #12
    This space for rent
    NYSmokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    What the hell do you use on THESE???? (from the movie THEM!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom

    Never Forget 9-11-2001

    Stay safe out there!

    IACOJ Member

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    What the hell do you use on THESE???? (from the movie THEM!)
    ...A 50 ton ardvark?!




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    37

    Default

    geez.....pretty soon we are gonna hear about somebody trying to kill cockroaches with a nuclear bomb.....

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    I don't believe it was a Grenade round, I think it was an older Anti-Aircraft round
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    But there are also the 40mm grenades that are fired from M-203s and Mk-19 grenade launchers.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    EFD840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Eclectic (no, NOT electric), Alabama
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    I thought about the Bofors 40mm AA but I'm pretty sure it was a 40mm grenade round. The story says it was 5" long. The AA round is over 8" in length, with the entire shell being over 2 feet long. On the other hand, the grenade round is right at 5" long.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Insects & Wildfires
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Wildland Firefighting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 01:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register