MembersZone Subscriber

Default More humans losing battles with insects

Now that we have learned that gasoline is not the appropriate tool for use on spider nests, we will move on to lesson two:

40mm grenades are designed for use in an M79 or M203 grenade launcher. They do not make good paperweights and should never be used to squash bugs in class.

From Fox News

Paperweight Explodes, Severs Teacher's Hand
    Tuesday, April 04, 2006

VENTURA, Calif. A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    Now that we have learned that gasoline is not the appropriate tool for use on spider nests, we will move on to lesson two:

40mm grenades are designed for use in an M79 or M203 grenade launcher. They do not make good paperweights and should never be used to squash bugs in class.

From Fox News

Paperweight Explodes, Severs Teacher's Hand
    Tuesday, April 04, 2006

VENTURA, Calif. A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.
    Well, the question that begs to be asked here is: Did he get the bug, or not?!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Is anyone else disturbed by the complete lack of common sense pervading modern society?

You find a grenade and you do not even ever think to ensure that it is not live?

And this moron is TEACHING!!!!!!
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Default degrees

A college degree just can't make up for good old fashioned common sense and logic. Apparently this person had never been in the military or been around live munitions. The insect probably got away.

Forum Member

Red face Collegiate Question

They sure never taught me the ability to discern between live and dead/dummy rounds in college. I bet his class will remember that lesson very well.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by Seltzer27e
    They sure never taught me the ability to discern between live and dead/dummy rounds in college. I bet his class will remember that lesson very well.
    I wonder how many surreptiously went home and "checked" their homes for stuff left behind from Grandpa's war service.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    I wonder how many surreptiously went home and "checked" their homes for stuff left behind from Grandpa's war service.
    Probably not as many as went home and checked their drawers for skid marks
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Is anyone else disturbed by the complete lack of common sense pervading modern society?

You find a grenade and you do not even ever think to ensure that it is not live?

And this moron is TEACHING!!!!!!

Survey says...95% of the population have no common sense. Im still trying to figure out "common" as it sure isnt.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Well at least he was lucky that he only set off the casing and not the actual grenade (or that he had a training grenade w/only a powder-puff round in it).

The HE round for the M79/M203 is spin-setback armed and has a kill radius of about 5 meters, IIRC.

Either way he was lucky, albeit stupid.
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Survey says...95% of the population have no common sense. Im still trying to figure out "common" as it sure isnt.
    Did you ever think....there right and we're wrong....food for thought
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ltmdepas3280
    Did you ever think....there right and we're wrong....food for thought
    That, my friend, is a very unpleasent thought.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

What the hell do you use on THESE???? (from the movie THEM!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    What the hell do you use on THESE???? (from the movie THEM!)
    ...A 50 ton ardvark?!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

geez.....pretty soon we are gonna hear about somebody trying to kill cockroaches with a nuclear bomb.....

Forum Member

I don't believe it was a Grenade round, I think it was an older Anti-Aircraft round
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

But there are also the 40mm grenades that are fired from M-203s and Mk-19 grenade launchers.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought about the Bofors 40mm AA but I'm pretty sure it was a 40mm grenade round. The story says it was 5" long. The AA round is over 8" in length, with the entire shell being over 2 feet long. On the other hand, the grenade round is right at 5" long.

Thread Information