Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Notified By A Caller Who Began, "You're Not Going To Believe This."

Part Of FedEx Plane's Engine Plummets From Sky

POSTED: 7:22 am EDT April 5, 2006

OTWELL, Ark. -- A FedEx plane that took off from Memphis, Tenn., Tuesday landed with less than it had on takeoff.

Officials said a six-foot section of the No. 3 engine fell off minutes into a flight to Seattle. It dropped into a farmer's field near Otwell, Ark., about 70 miles from the airport.

The section of the engine's rear portion, apparently weighing more than 100 pounds, plummeted from the sky and partially buried itself in the soil about 75 feet from U.S. 49.

The pilots notified air traffic controllers of the in-flight emergency and the jet landed safely back in Memphis.

Arkansas state police said they were notified by a caller who began, "You're not going to believe this."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

The really good news is no one got hurt in this incident.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

You always know the incident is going to be a real doosey when the caller begins with:

"Ya'll ain't never gonna believe this.... "
    "Well, ummm..... "
    "I think..... "
    "I'm not really sure if this is a problem but.... "
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    You always know the incident is going to be a real doosey when the caller begins with:

"Ya'll ain't never gonna believe this.... "
    "Well, ummm..... "
    "I think..... "
    "I'm not really sure if this is a problem but.... "
    Oh my favorite calls!
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

This was a bad week for FedEx aircraft:

Just in from FedEx: Pieces of its jet
    No one hurt and Newark DC-10 lands safely
    Wednesday, March 29, 2006
    BY KASI ADDISON AND JONATHAN SCHUPPE
    Star-Ledger Staff
    Bob Suchoki of Nutley awoke yesterday to his dog barking, cops on his dead-end street and a 4-foot-long slab of purple metal lying on his walk.

He turned around and told his family that part of an airplane had landed out front.

"I knew it was an airplane. It looked like it," Suchoki recalled. "But everybody said I was crazy."

He wasn't. The debris was one of three pieces of a FedEx cargo plane that rained down on Suchoki's neighborhood just after its 2 a.m. takeoff from Newark Liberty International Airport about nine miles away.

No one was hurt, no property was damaged and the plane landed safely in Oakland, Calif., more than four hours later, officials said.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the accident, starting with an inspection of the plane in California and a check of its maintenance records. Authorities rounded up the parts yesterday and gave them back to FedEx, which was asked to hold them for investigators.

FedEx, which runs 60 flights in and out of Newark daily, is working closely with FAA investigators, spokeswoman Sally Davenport said.

"We certainly regret that this occurred and we're thankful there was no injuries or damage," she said. "We're going to get to the bottom of this."

The biggest piece of metal -- 8 feet long, 5 feet wide and weighing more than 100 pounds -- was found in the middle of Passaic Avenue by a Nutley police officer about 2:30 a.m., police said. Hours later, a neighbor walking his dog noticed the slab in Suchoki's yard. The third piece, about 2 feet long and 1 foot wide, was found on Nutley Avenue.

All three pieces landed within a few blocks of one another.

But it wasn't until after dawn that officials began to figure out how the debris got there.

Nutley Police Chief John Holland, a pilot in the Air National Guard, saw the biggest piece and knew immediately what it was.

He said he was grateful that it didn't hit anyone.

The pieces came from a protective layer of metal called cowling that broke apart from the DC-10's tail engine, one of three engines on the plane, according to FAA and FedEx officials.

"It's not a mechanical part of the engine," said FAA spokeswoman Arlene Murray.

FedEx officials declined to release the plane's maintenance records. But FAA records indicate the plane, built in 1978, has had 41 repair problems reported to the federal agency since 1996, none of them major. The last problem reported was on April 14, 2005, when the crew had to make an unscheduled landing after a leaky hydraulic line caused the landing gear to malfunction.

Yesterday's accident was the fifth time since 1991 that airplane debris landed in New Jersey. No one was injured in any of those incidents.

Still, Bob Suchoki and his family are feeling lucky.

His wife, Estelle, said she heard a strange noise about 2 a.m. but assumed it was her daughter Lauren, a bartender in Clifton, returning from work. So she went back to sleep.

But Lauren, 21, wasn't home yet. When she arrived a little while later, she walked right past the debris, thinking it was nothing to worry about. She was feeling a little embarrassed about that yesterday.

"There's a plane lying on the walkway and I go to sleep," she said.

"I'm just happy that it wasn't worse," Estelle Suchoki added. "Anybody could have been hit."

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

"There's a plane lying on the walkway and I go to sleep," she said.
    I wonder if she was experiencing an altered mental status at that time? heheeheheehe
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

My question is:
    "was she drinking american beer, or canadian beer?"
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

"See what had happened was..."
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Definatly not a good week for FedEx.

The "ya'll aint gonna believe this...." calls have got to be funny.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Definatly not a good week for FedEx.

The "ya'll aint gonna believe this...." calls have got to be funny.
    It's never a good week at FedEx, I worked for the company for almost three years, 70-80% of which was spent on the tarmac at the MKE airport. It's a constant rush especially during the aircraft load and offload time, it's way more hectic than most ever realize. Imagine playing four quarters of football, nonstop, no timeouts, 5 seconds inbetween plays, and no second or third strings, all in 45 minutes, and the clock started when the aircraft hit the runway. For an aircraft to be down, even for twenty minutes it can cause a region wide service disruption, the company loses money, businesses lose business due to not recieving their shipments on time, and on down the line. So a rush repair, or a missed fastener turns into these kinds of stories. Am I saying that FedEx has a poor safety record? Absolutley not..they are one of the strictest, and most well organized aviation programs out there, these things do happen though. And I'm sure those at fault WILL be terminated, no doubt about it. As Tom Hanks said in Castaway, "the clock is your enemy"
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Thread Information